1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Just bought a Beautiful 51 F6..Advice needed

Old 12-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Dudes BBQ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a Beautiful 51 F6..Advice needed

Hey all
i just picked up a very nicely restored 51 F6 with 20k miles on her. I have no idea what the gear ratio is at this point, but I do know that she is not happy doing more than 40 MPH....I am curious what my options are when it come to changing out Ring and Pinion, as well as over drive units.

I am also looking for input on making the change from 6V to 12V.

There is a thought to swap the original, freshly rebuilt flat head straight 6, and 4 speed trans out for a more modern gas engine and trans. I am only considering doing this due to the fact that this truck will be converted to carry an open air kitchen and tow a BBQ trailer for my catering company. I figure that I should be able to get enough for the Engine, Trans, and Tilt/Dump Bed set up to pay for the Engine, and Trans....I would like to stay away from late model set ups, and go with something like a 351, 390, 400, or 460. I need it to have high torque, be able to pull, and want it to sound great, but most importantly I need it reliable......

Let me know your thoughts!!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 755 Likes on 369 Posts
Welcome to FTE! We would love to see pictures of your truck.
Chucks Trucks is the source for these larger trucks.
Chucks Trucks LLC., Chuck's Trucks, Chucks Trucks

Classic Haulers is a good source as well, but they cater to the F1 crowd. Some stuff is interchangeable though. Home - Classic Haulers F-1 Parts

Here is a thread on wiring. I had it bookmarked, but I haven't looked at it for ages: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ing-101-a.html
I saved this link to a conversion guide book but haven't purchased it: Book - The Official 12 Volt Conversion Guide - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Search this forum, there is lots of info on here.

As far as you axle goes, well I was about to say something, but I had better let people that know more about it answer. I could be all wrong. I do know they were geared low though.

Did I mention we want pictures and more pictures and a build thread with your progress with bunches of pictures.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 755 Likes on 369 Posts
Found your profile. Holy smokes that's nice looking

Yep, definitely need more pictures.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Dudes BBQ
New User
Thanks for the quick response, and the kind words about my truck!!!
If I knew how to add pics to the thread, I would.....Sure Ill figure it before to long

Old 12-09-2014, 04:20 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
First, welcome. Fine looking truck. To get more road speed there are several ways to go. You no doubt have the 6.81/1 gear set now. The F-4 model would have a 5.14/1 axle that would bolt right in. Chuck might have one. Another option is swapping in a Dana 70 axle from a 1970s/80s era Dodge RM400 or 500 motor home. It has a 4.56/1 ratio, and can be installed with minor mods.

Going faster means stopping is more critical. The truck having low mileage helps assure you that the drums are good. New drums are NLA. Chuck will have your parts and service materials.

Wheels are next. They are no doubt 20" style having the widow maker Firestone RH-5° outer rims. Most shops won't touch them. Chuck might have a line on tubeless 22.5" replacements. The other option would be 19.5" tubeless, but their tires will be shorter which will not be helpful to your road speed. Stu

Old 12-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Dudes BBQ
New User
Truckdog,
As for the tires and wheels, the gentleman that I purchased the truck from actually had a local machine shop modify the original wheels so they are no longer widow makers.....I grew up in a tire shop, and know these all to well....

As for the road speed. do I have the option of changing out the ring and pinion. i do like the idea of swapping in the DANA 70. At the very least that would allow me to have updated brakes, and even the option of going to a Disk Brake set up....

What are your thought on something like a gear vendor OD unit......And who is this "Chuck" that you speak of????

Old 12-09-2014, 05:26 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Chuck is Chuck Mantiglia of Chuck's Trucks. Joe posted a link above to his site. I'll defer to him on whether other taller gear sets are available for your stock axle. I don't recall hearing or reading of any. A Gear Vendors O/D unit is another option. They are expensive to my understanding. Stu

Old 12-09-2014, 05:26 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,598 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudes BBQ
What are your thought on something like a gear vendor OD unit......And who is this "Chuck" that you speak of????
Chuck is the owner of Chucks Trucks in the North East. He is a great source for these larger trucks.

The link to his website is in post #2.

Where are you from?

and welcome to FTE .... your source for ford truck info and fun!

Old 12-09-2014, 05:29 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,598 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Also, we need more pictures of your truck. And it looks like your flatbed is a Ford script factory bed. There are always guys looking for such beds on here.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:51 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome and get cozy, this is more than likely going to be your new home, it will for sure feel like it, when it comes to your beautiful truck. The folks are not only friendly but also knowledgeable and willing to help.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Truckdog,
As for the tires and wheels, the gentleman that I purchased the truck from actually had a local machine shop modify the original wheels so they are no longer widow makers
I have to say, that makes me curious about just what a machine shop does to 'modify' a widow maker to not be a widow maker.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
I have to say, that makes me curious about just what a machine shop does to 'modify' a widow maker to not be a widow maker.
You machine the center out and put it in a modern wheel.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Dudes BBQ
New User
Originally Posted by harleymsn
My understanding is that they simply welded up you the rings and machined everything into a "bead", I can't tell you more than that but because I don't know.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:43 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My understanding is that they simply welded up you the rings and machined everything into a "bead", I can't tell you more than that but because I don't know.
These wheels don't have the traditional 'rings', the rims split in the middle. So I can't see anyway that they can possibly be modified to be anything but what they are.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:50 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Gotta have pictures of this. The beads of 20" truck tires are rigid, not real pliable. Mounting by stretching them over the rim lips would take one heck of a man and machine, and would likely destroy the tires in the process. Unless the p.o. welded the old bolt pattern onto the face of new 22.5" wheels, or welded old WM centers into new 22.5" outer rims. Telling us what size your tires are would give us a hint until you figure out how to post pics. Stu

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought a Beautiful 51 F6..Advice needed