General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Murphies law of the Umbrella

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Murphies law of the Umbrella

It has seemed to me that the laws of nature are subject to the foibles of individuals - and by that I mean that if you set yourself up for disaster it will befall you in the most comic and unflattering manner possible...

There are many schools, concerning nature and the beings (spiritual or otherwise) that have something to do with that. And here I point out that a human being subject to THEIR OWN KARMA is no less a being of some kind.

*Native Americans also ascribe to a deity called "COYOTE" who is the crowned prince of practical (and unpractical) jokes

NOW:

Many long years ago Pete Townsend, of the band "WHO" pointed out in a rock and roll song that it "never rains if you carry an umbrella"

He was pointing in several different directions, when he stated that. And it doesn't mean the kind of rain that falls from the clouds - that is not expressly implied anywhere in that. It means that if you are not prepared:

"STUFF HAPPENS...."

Whether it is a lawyer, or a group of censors, or the internet police coming after you - or mother nature herself. There is impartial DOOM seeking you!

And so it is with basic rain - you know....

The wet stuff that falls from the sky. And some of you may be blessed, I don't know. You fart and it smells like someone else did it, your poop smells inconspicuous, whatever. You may even have an opaque belly button for all I know...

But for the most of us, these general rules seem to apply:

WHEN (anyway) you go outside to your front porch - and there you see a light rain falling. You now have a choice to make.

You can either by disbelieving in the laws of chance tell yourself: "Well, this is very light, and it cannot last for very long."

Or you can choose to think (keeping in mind that this is all YOUR OWN CHOICES NOW!) "I wonder if Noah ever finished that ARK that he was working on down the street..."

But most of us seem to fall somewhere in between.

(And I hope I have not lost all of you now. I know that some of you seem to follow everything I write anymore out of a strange fascination with some guy out there on the internet who doesn't seem to worry if others think he is crazy or something...)

But you want to go down the road to a store.
NOW!
There are some more choices you can make right here:

1) What if it begins to rain much HARDER. Should I prepare somehow against that?

2) I can trust to luck (as good luck as I generally have anyway) and walk out in it FUNDAMENTALLY UNPREPARED

* Sometimes that works

3) Maybe I should give this idea UP - and just go back in the house, like a sensible person (which is an idea that is contrary to "MAN THINKING" in which we think we are capable of doing anything)

4) You may be a female of the species, and invite your boyfriend, consort, or spouse to share in the decision - and thus provide an opportunity to discuss things at great length, but finally arrive at the decision that it is now the "MAN PERSONS" problem. Which means that HE now has to choose how to go out into this....

Regardless and however irrelevant all of the before might become -
SOMEONE must go down the street (are you still with me?) ROLLING THE DICE as it were....

And so you have choices to make.

And you may think to yourself: "What is a little rain anyway? It's only water"
In the back of your mind you are hearing a tiny voice saying: "Yeah Bob - cold nasty wet water that will saturate you from your hat all the way down into your underpants and socks"

But you have been swimming before, how bad could it be? You think about the times you have stood by a pool on a hot summer day, stuck a toe in the water and tried to convince yourself that it would feel good once you got used to it... That this is only water now, and how bad could it be?

You think about an old phrase in your memory - someone somewhere once said that water refreshes, is clean, and makes new...

And you look out at the view beyond the doorway and shiver anyhow.

Getting back to Pete Townsend -

If you have an umbrella, you have a defence.
If you DO NOT have one you do not....

What I have found is that you should carry the largest and must cumbersome, burdensome, and clumsy umbrella (Brolly, Parasol, whatever) that you can get your hands on. And the reasoning is simple.

If Murphy and Pete Townsend are correct - and you go out there without one, you will DROWN

If you carry a "BROLLY" that weights a ton and makes you look a fool - you won't get wet at all.

In my final analysis what I think is that an umbrella is an ancient shamanistic device that prevents the rain spirits from wasting water on you - they realize you are prepared, and will not waste their efforts.

Go out without one however, and you will find yourself (on returning home) hanging everything you wore over the shower curtain rod because you could hardly be expected to strip off your drenched clothing on the front porch - nor would they dry out there.

You will also leave a trail of dripped water behind you that the lady who convinced you to go to the shop for her will blame entirely on YOU

OH... Did I imply that any of it was just?

~Wolfie