1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Ruby and Texas Trip #3--This time, it's permanent

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:53 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Ruby and Texas Trip #3--This time, it's permanent

I figured I'd go ahead and get the thread started. We won't be pulling out until Sunday morning, but all data, photos, griping, praising, and everything else will be posted here! I feel like I have really prepared for this trip and done everything possible that my wallet would allow. I would have loved new Stage 1s, an S366, and a T-500, but it just wasn't possible. I am happy though. I have all gauges installed and working, no boost leaks, no fuel leaks, no oil leaks, new BF Goodrich Commercial TAs, and a brand new JW Econo HD. I have done a bunch of little cleanup/tightening up of stuff and she is ready!

We are taking our time this trip. No 10 hour days of peddle to the metal, but more of a little sight seeing and enjoying the process. We'll be staying in Gila Bend, Las Cruces, Fort Stockton for a day or two, and then Stephenville to meet with my grad school committee and check out the town. We should be getting to the in-laws house for the holidays around the 12th. I'll have 3 weeks off helping my wife's dad with some home projects, going to the Cutting Horse futurity, spending time with family, and lots of eating and drinking of good food and beer. This will be a much needed break and I am so looking forward to it!!

So, stay tuned! Lots of good info to come (hopefully)

On edit: we were going to go the northern route on the 40 through Williams, AZ and see the Grand Canyon, but we didn't want to risk the winter weather that can happen at the drop of a hat. It kinda sucks because I was looking forward to the Big Texan steak house in Amarillo, but that'll be for next time I guess! LOL!!

Old 12-05-2014, 10:01 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As usual, Ill be watching! Have a safe trip Byron. Sounds like your truck is in excellent health. Cant wait to see how that new trans does.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:52 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2, be safe and have fun out there.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:06 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Have a good time and keep it on 19
I always enjoy site seeing travels and visiting family and friends.
Safe travels!

Old 12-05-2014, 01:32 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Woot woot! Be safe brother! Just that much closer to rre :-)

Old 12-05-2014, 03:07 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 12-05-2014, 04:05 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have a safe trip buddy! See you at RRE 2015!

Old 12-05-2014, 04:28 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you have every thing planned out, but i im sure if you run into trouble there should be someone around to help. Hope the trip goes well.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:33 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Have a safe trip Byron!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:01 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by madMatador78
As usual, Ill be watching! Have a safe trip Byron. Sounds like your truck is in excellent health. Cant wait to see how that new trans does.
Thanks Thomas! I am guessing it will do pretty well. I will just be happy that I won't see ATF fluid pouring out every time I get fuel or pull over.

Originally Posted by cowmilker08
X2, be safe and have fun out there.
Thanks Phil! It's going to be a much needed break.

Originally Posted by ProjectDually
Have a good time and keep it on 19
I always enjoy site seeing travels and visiting family and friends.
Safe travels!
Yeah John! I wish I had a CB. I had one in my last truck and thought about getting another one, but never got around to it. I need to here before long.

Originally Posted by fordman67
Woot woot! Be safe brother! Just that much closer to rre :-)
Will do Aaron! I hope we can make it this year. We are sure gonna try.

Originally Posted by tshrager
Nice one Todd. I am adding this to my Spotify "Texas Driving Music" playlist. Um, if you aren't using those stix, maybe send them south.

Originally Posted by ReBilld
Have a safe trip buddy! See you at RRE 2015!
Will do! Keep your phone on! LOL!!

Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Sounds like you have every thing planned out, but i im sure if you run into trouble there should be someone around to help. Hope the trip goes well.
Thanks Gabe! Good to hear from you bro!

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Have a safe trip Byron!
Thanks Glenn. I am anxious to see how much better this trip is. New trans, and new tires on the trailer, so no blowouts hopefully!

Old 12-06-2014, 12:50 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
As far as the CB goes, I have a 29LX CHR LE. Must say it's a hell of a radio. Just need to get it "peaked and tuned" hehe. I'd send you my spare 29 LX if I had access to it right now, but it probably wouldn't get there in time!

Old 12-06-2014, 11:58 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
As far as the CB goes, I have a 29LX CHR LE. Must say it's a hell of a radio. Just need to get it "peaked and tuned" hehe. I'd send you my spare 29 LX if I had access to it right now, but it probably wouldn't get there in time!
I certainly appreciate the thought! I'll get one back in there once I get home and settled. I always stop at truck stops for fuel and eye them when we are getting something to drink. Maybe I'll pick up a little Cobra if I find one I fancy. When do you get back to the states anyway?

Old 12-07-2014, 03:40 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I certainly appreciate the thought! I'll get one back in there once I get home and settled. I always stop at truck stops for fuel and eye them when we are getting something to drink. Maybe I'll pick up a little Cobra if I find one I fancy. When do you get back to the states anyway?
Not a problem! Sorry it's back in my storage container though. They have a 29LX in real tree, and one in blue tooth. I bought up one of the chrome 50th anniversary edition. Only 200k were made, or so Cobra say's anyway. I should be getting back in the spring. I don't know exactly when yet. All I know is when I get back, the mail room is going to hate me. I'll have a corner reserved just for me with nothing but boxes of parts and crap for my truck.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:36 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Well dudes, we got started a little late today,so instead of pulling out at noon, it was more like 2....waw wawwww Oh well, but after that I have some good things to report.

First and foremost, Ruby is running SO DARN WELL!! The biggest thing that is different is that when it shifts under load, it is crisp, but when I downshifted to 3rd from OD pulling a grade, it felt like someone kicked it in the booty. I guess it is actually using the power available to it rather than the TC not locking properly? That was my only guess, but I didn't think about it too much. The grade I normally pull at 40 mph I was able to pull at 47-50 before EGT's got too hot. I kept them below 1300* this time rather than pushing the envelope for long periods like I did this past summer. I had power to spare, but couldn't use it safely. Also, the trans temps are running 5-7 degrees hotter than they did before the new one, but still only topped out at 170*, so no complaints. My numbers were pretty good on all parameters. I did notice that my fan took awhile to kick on. It was up to the "A" on the gauge before it finally kicked on, but after that, it kept it cool like normal. Maybe it needed the cobwebs blown out?

Fuel Pressure never fluctuated much. It stayed at 65-67 under hard pulls and stayed at cruising down the interstate. That fluctuation was under VERY hard pulling though. It didn't skip a beat.

The other HUGE improvement is the ride quality. The airbags were a definite improvement. No more herky-jerky over uneven highway and it sits nice and level. I wasn't quite sure how the WD hitch would mesh with the bags, but all seems good so far and the ride is comfortable. I got a couple of photos that I'll put up from my phone. It's much easier that way. As far as I can tell, I am getting 9 mpg so far, but I haven't use up all of my fuel yet, so I'll find out tomorrow. It just purred along today like she was happy and well taken care of. I hope it lasts!! LOL

More to come tomorrow...

Old 12-08-2014, 12:48 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Pulling out of Oceanside today...can't totally tell from this angle, but it sits much better

Desert evening...most awesome time of day

Cockpit shot

Quick Reply: Ruby and Texas Trip #3--This time, it's permanent