1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cab/4R70W clearance question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:55 PM
aaronbauer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab/4R70W clearance question

I am just starting a 1951 Mercury M1 Resto-Rod build (yes I am from Canada). I am going with a No Limit engineering rolling chassis and Ford 302 Coyote crate motor with 4R70W AOD transmission. In short most of the body will be original, but that’s it.

Here is my question…are there clearance issues with the 4R70W? I was planning on holding off on ordering the motor and transmission until the body work was complete, but if there are clearance issues and have to modify the tunnel, I may have to pony up sooner. At any rate was hoping someone has experience with this.

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 03-19-2014, 04:45 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The answer depends on a few things. I don't have a No Limit Chassis, but a stock one with a 351w and a C6 trans.

The trade is to raise it enough so that the IFS crossmember clears the oil pan. You'll want the engine close to level....a couple of degrees down in the back is OK, but not much more. That is where the bellhousing can run into the firewall. At that point move it forward for clearance, but you have to watch the distance from the water pump to the radiator. I ended up moving the engine forward enough for bellhousing clearance without cutting the firewall. I left the fan off the water pump in lieu of an electric fan which is relatively low profile.

I think most of the guys using a small block have been able to avoid cutting the firewall.

You'll probably have to do your homework to determine what pan comes on the Coyote engine. You will really need something with a rear sump to clear the IFS crossmember. The oil pickup has to be the right one for whatever pan you use.

Post pics to show us your project!

Dan

Old 03-19-2014, 05:24 PM
1low50
Senior User
The chassis is the big question mark here. Plus that coyote will not fit a standard f1 without massive mods. Most likely tunnel work and firewall work will be in your future as steering options are also limited with the stock exhaust.

I am assuming you are using the aftermarket controller for the engine and a separate one for the trans. I have had the 4r70w in my 50 without major mods, but that was in front of a old school 302.

Now that I have changed to the coyote and auto 6, I have much less room. I put the engine as low as I could from the IFS and I will have to build a complete new tunnel for the drive shaft and trans with the cab in the correct location. The coyote I have, has a rear sump pan, and I have r&p steering also. Since I pulled the drivetrain from a running car I am using the computer and all emissions so I had to even notch around the cats that come stock with the mustang.

After all that, I would probably count on trans tunnel work UNLESS you can somehow manage to drop that engine low enough to clear a stock cab. Even with an old 302 I did build a new trans cover and slightly modified firewall that fit the 4r70w.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 PM
aaronbauer
Freshman User
Thanks for the responses everyone, very helpful.

The No Limit Chassis comes with mounts for a 302 already in place. I am hoping that with the package they are selling, they have already thought about the clearance issues.

There should be room to move the engine forward since the coyote engine does not have an engine driven fan.

Correct the transmission will have to have a controller as the coyote crate motor ECM is programmed for a standard transmission only (unfortunately). Nice thing though it does not have any emissions control, so can do away with all that stuff.

However to make sure, looks like I will need to get the engine and trans in place to ensure there is adequate clearance. before getting too far along with the cab.

Delivery of the no limit chassis is ~12 weeks out, and is not cheap by any means, but other than wheels engine/trans and drive shaft is a complete rolling chassis. Pocket books says I may have to wait as bit before ordering the engine/trans...

Old 12-03-2014, 01:31 PM
54-F100
Junior User
Any updates?

Hey there,
I'm considering a No Limit Engineering Chassis for my 54' F100. Any updates on your build? How did everything end up fitting? Would like to see some pics of your build.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:53 PM
aaronbauer
Freshman User
Sorry everyone, haven’t been on the forum for a while, but thought I post an update…

I did purchase a No Limit Engineering complete chassis with all the options (except powder coating)
  • Currie 9” rear end
  • Wilwood 14” brakes
  • Ride Tech triple adjustable coil overs
  • Fuel tank for EFI
  • All lines bent and installed
  • Power boost brakes
  • Battery box
The chassis is a nice piece of work and no regrets about going that route. I received it this summer and am just finally getting to the point to mock up the engine/trans and body. Body work has been taking much longer than I expected and still have a long way to go…
I also picked bought a Ford racing 5.0L COYOTE ALUMINATOR NA CRATE ENGINE (M-6007-A50NA) and a 4RW70W AOD transmission. Unfortunately the ECM harness does not interface the trans, so needed to get a shift computer.
The frame is ~10” deep, so the engine/trans should sit 3-4” deeper on the mounts than stock. According to Rob at No Limit, I should have no issue with cab clearance with a 4R70W AOD trans. Lose tape measure math tells me the same thing. I wasn’t crazy about cutting the fire wall out. That being said, I do expect I will run into issues with the inner fender wells. I’ll deal with that when I get there.
I am only dong this once, so ponied up for high end gear. In the end I worked out that modifying the stock frame to something even reasonably close to the No Limit chassis was only going to be a few thousand less on the base ram then add a couple hundred hours to do it. I felt this Chassis was the way to go…
I am at work when I post this, I’ll get some pictures soon and post them next week.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:29 PM
54-F100
Junior User
Originally Posted by aaronbauer
Sorry everyone, haven’t been on the forum for a while, but thought I post an update…

I did purchase a No Limit Engineering complete chassis with all the options (except powder coating)
  • Currie 9” rear end
  • Wilwood 14” brakes
  • Ride Tech triple adjustable coil overs
  • Fuel tank for EFI
  • All lines bent and installed
  • Power boost brakes
  • Battery box
The chassis is a nice piece of work and no regrets about going that route. I received it this summer and am just finally getting to the point to mock up the engine/trans and body. Body work has been taking much longer than I expected and still have a long way to go…
I also picked bought a Ford racing 5.0L COYOTE ALUMINATOR NA CRATE ENGINE (M-6007-A50NA) and a 4RW70W AOD transmission. Unfortunately the ECM harness does not interface the trans, so needed to get a shift computer.
The frame is ~10” deep, so the engine/trans should sit 3-4” deeper on the mounts than stock. According to Rob at No Limit, I should have no issue with cab clearance with a 4R70W AOD trans. Lose tape measure math tells me the same thing. I wasn’t crazy about cutting the fire wall out. That being said, I do expect I will run into issues with the inner fender wells. I’ll deal with that when I get there.
I am only dong this once, so ponied up for high end gear. In the end I worked out that modifying the stock frame to something even reasonably close to the No Limit chassis was only going to be a few thousand less on the base ram then add a couple hundred hours to do it. I felt this Chassis was the way to go…
I am at work when I post this, I’ll get some pictures soon and post them next week.
Thanks Aaron! I am considering the same chassis, but haven't been able to find much from people that have it. Did you get the rear trailing arms as well?
Who did you buy your 4R70W from? Have you looked at the Compushift CSII controller for it?
Can't wait to see some pics.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:08 PM
aaronbauer
Freshman User
The rear end is bolted to two arms that are connected in the middle of the X brace of the frame. They are beefy and take all the torque and push force. There is an arm that ensures the rear end can't sway left to right. Not sure what it's called? (I call it a 3 link...lol).

I did get a Compu-shift controller, pricey, but they are supposedly very good...
I have bought most everything through a Capital Gear in Edmonton Alberta. They area No Limit dealer and have been very helpful, as I am not well versed in all the latest hot rod parts. The price I paid was the same as buying from No Limit direct and supported my local dealer. They had the trans built by a local vendor, not sure who it was.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:31 PM
54-F100
Junior User
Originally Posted by aaronbauer
The rear end is bolted to two arms that are connected in the middle of the X brace of the frame. They are beefy and take all the torque and push force. There is an arm that ensures the rear end can't sway left to right. Not sure what it's called? (I call it a 3 link...lol).

I did get a Compu-shift controller, pricey, but they are supposedly very good...
I have bought most everything through a Capital Gear in Edmonton Alberta. They area No Limit dealer and have been very helpful, as I am not well versed in all the latest hot rod parts. The price I paid was the same as buying from No Limit direct and supported my local dealer. They had the trans built by a local vendor, not sure who it was.
Very cool. One of the features that I find appealing about the CompuShift Controller is the optional A/B switch (aka: Valet switch) and being able to switch between shift profiles with the push of a button.

I've been discussing, and researching, different chassis options. I've collected a ton of information and put it on this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...3-56-f100.html

The "long arms" on the rear suspension is called a "trailing arm" suspension which was common in the late 60's & early 70's Chevy trucks...it's like anything; some people rave about them & some people like something else. Most of the people do say that the trailing arm suspension rides really good. The bar that goes across in the back is called a "Panhard Bar"

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your build as it sounds like a fun one.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:52 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Sounds really cool

Old 12-04-2014, 07:36 AM
DarrinBC
Senior User
PM me if you need any help with sourcing the transmission.

There is a guy over on Corral forum selling a complete PCS TCM-2000 controller package with a wiring harness and everything for the 4R70W at a great price. If you need info on that PM me as well. I'm not sure how external link friendly it is here.

D