6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2015 F350 front end grinding

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 01:04 PM
dnoel
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, resurrecting an old thread since this is what showed up on a search.
My 2016 F350 4x4 makes this noise, since new. I have only heard it while making left turns with a variance in the pavement surface (small dips). I can get the truck to do it every time at certain areas I drive all the time. Cannot get truck to do it on right turns. As already stated, turn off advance track and it goes away. I just don't think I should have to do this on a new truck. Plus I'd prefer to keep the advance track on. I've looked at a few other threads and don't see anything on a dealer fix. Is it an oversensitive sensor or what??? The truck is nowhere near a roll over. I hope someone can post an outcome they had so I can inform the dealer if I need to take the truck in.
Thanks

Old 11-04-2016, 07:37 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's the way the truck was designed. I have a right turn that I take with a little speed and I can make it grind every time. I doubt it's hurting anything.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:28 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
It sounds to me like either a failed yaw sensor, or a failed wheel speed sensor. I don't know if a yaw sensor can be recalibrated, or if it would have to be replaced. Normally, a failed wheel speed sensor would turn on the ABS light. I wonder if you looked in your truck tools menu, if it shows any lean - even while on flat ground. It would be on the same screen where angle of ascent/descent would be.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:07 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Dnoel,

If this happens at speed, my info may not apply.

at slow parking lot speeds backing out or pulling in, or slow turnaround in cul DE sac, or tight (if there is such a thing in a narrow axle crew) u-turn in street. Was much louder once truck axles were warmed up after a half hour of driving. I could swear it was coming from the front. It was not. Well documented in older trucks - it comes from not enough anti-foam/clutch plate lubricant in the rear anti-lock axle.

I had my 2015 dually 350 crew into dealer 5 times. "Could not replicate" 3 times, even after I told them axles had to be warm. Miles in/out clearly showed it was driven enough to warm it up.

finally made an appointment for tech to drive with me. I get there with warm axles, and "yup, I hear that; will find the cause." 6 hours later "cause is that you are using the spare tire with the steel rim on the front axle.". What BS, there aren't even any rub marks on tires, steering parts or frame. So I take it home, swap out the spare and drive back the next morning and go for same ride. "Yup, I hear that. I will figure it out".

drained rear axle fluid (removed rear cap), added twice normal anti-lock clutch lubricant per the TSB, and filled with proper gear oil (takes something special?).

no noise. That was about 30k. I think I started hearing it intermittently about 6k, or thinking I was hearing something not right. My left turn was more obvious, seemed to come from right side. Yes turning off advance track (essentially anti-lock activity) could help mask noise. With insufficient anti-lock additive the rear axle binds up and the noise us transmitted up the frame to where you hear it reverberate in the front wheel wells.

hope this helps

carrier bearings went out at 42,000 miles. Don't know if related.

E=dnoel;16694530]Yes, resurrecting an old thread since this is what showed up on a search.
My 2016 F350 4x4 makes this noise, since new. I have only heard it while making left turns with a variance in the pavement surface (small dips). I can get the truck to do it every time at certain areas I drive all the time. Cannot get truck to do it on right turns. As already stated, turn off advance track and it goes away. I just don't think I should have to do this on a new truck. Plus I'd prefer to keep the advance track on. I've looked at a few other threads and don't see anything on a dealer fix. Is it an oversensitive sensor or what??? The truck is nowhere near a roll over. I hope someone can post an outcome they had so I can inform the dealer if I need to take the truck in.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Old 11-05-2016, 10:19 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
If it is the rear diff causing it, the traction control light will not flash. If it is due to an electronic issue, the light should flash during the time the noise and vibration are heard and felt. On my 2010 F-150, I would get this frequently on left hand turns taken at speed, after installing taller than factory tires. I have not had issues with my current truck.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:09 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Agree EO2 if there is a traction control light coming on. If light comes on, the anti-lock would need to be frozen up, not just binding up, for my comments to be relevant. I must have missed Noel saying that the light came on with noise.

Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
If it is the rear diff causing it, the traction control light will not flash. If it is due to an electronic issue, the light should flash during the time the noise and vibration are heard and felt. On my 2010 F-150, I would get this frequently on left hand turns taken at speed, after installing taller than factory tires. I have not had issues with my current truck.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:17 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Originally Posted by JohnD333
Agree EO2 if there is a traction control light coming on. If light comes on, the anti-lock would need to be frozen up, not just binding up, for my comments to be relevant. I must have missed Noel saying that the light came on with noise.
I never read where he said it either. I was offering a way to tell between the two possibilities. Your advice is also very solid.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:02 PM
dnoel
Mountain Pass
I appreciate all the input. 99% sure it is not the rear end but, I have not noticed a light coming on (I'll watch though). I tend to believe it has something to do with the advance track "anti-roll" and perhaps a sensor is overly sensitive or not operating correctly. The truck does not make the noise if the suspension is not moving (flat/level turn) or tcs is off. I can hear/feel it in the front. I am hoping someone who got a sure solution will chime in.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:48 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm reading this post and it's making me think that's the noise I'm hearing every time I'm taking a left hand turn , thought my oversize tires rubbing I'll have to examine the situation. I can make it happen every time that's why I thought it's the tire rubbing but, when I look for any sign of damage to the fender or tire it's never found. I'm taking the left at about 30 mph it's a Fork Road and the sound is on the right side I think it's tough to tell but it's definitely the front? Is that how the stabilization program would work? Is there any way to permanently turn it off I find it very intrusive when I'm trying to plow and I mean permanently turned it off nothing worse than having the tires slow down when I'm trying to push through a snowbank, and there's no way I'm plowing in 4 Low in the size of those lots take care

Old 11-06-2016, 01:41 PM
dnoel
Mountain Pass
Radium, I thought a tire was rubbing as well. I've had tire rubbing on fender well with previous truck and the sound is so similar. After finding the suggestion of turning off the advance track and this making the noise stop, I know it's not a tire rubbing. I have stock tires.

Last edited by dnoel; 11-06-2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Iceman1777
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine started making the patterned grinding noise in slow left turns about 2 months after I got it. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the steering box under warranty, fixed the problem and has not reoccurred. Now have 28k.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:32 AM
dnoel
Mountain Pass
Checking back in with this issue. First, I'm sure this is not "normal" and seems to have gotten worse. I can definitely feel it in the brake pedal when the noise is made, no lights in the dash. I believe it has something to do with the ABS. Does not happen when the stability control is off.

I have taken the truck in to the dealer twice now. First time included replacing my loose rear view mirror. They told me the noise is "normal”. Hmmmm? Never happens during right hand turns, only left turns. I ran a vehicle health report from the truck twice and had an urgent issue come up that stated there was an issue with the braking system. The truck went back to the dealer last week. Dealer said they contacted Ford and the SCCM (Steering Column Control Module) had an issue which was causing the noise. Ford told the dealer it was a common complaint. With high hopes, I picked up the truck after the work was done....same noise, same issue. Time to contact Ford. Maybe Crystal here can give me some direction. Love this truck but, this is annoying.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:20 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
No more Crystal she moved on.. There is a new rep... But hit them up. Good luck. I hate odd ball problems that the dealer can't diagnose and fix.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:00 PM
dnoel
Mountain Pass
Contacted Ford and got a case number assigned. Truck went back to dealer last Monday and they had it for just over a week. The yaw sensor and ABS module, I believe, were replaced. Still have the issue and urgent notice showing on vehicle health report for braking system. Apparently, Ford cannot figure this out. I think it may be time for the next step...Ford buying the truck back. I am not looking forward to this. I have been loyal to Ford and my wife is looking to purchase a new vehicle soon. How they handle this will be a factor in our choice of her vehicle.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:40 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,686 Likes on 2,747 Posts
No issues with my F-350 yet. If turning off the traction control causes the noise to go away then this raises red flags for me. If the ABS motor -which is likely also used for traction control - is running, which causes the grinding sound or even if the motor actuates and causes a brake to actuate, then that's a problem. From what I've heard, ABS motors are not designed for continuous duty and it doesn't take much to burn them out. Which means that when you really need it, your ABS may not be up to the task.

(I'm basing all this on my experience with my '07 Nissan Titan and how it uses ABS and traction control. If the Superduty is completely different then... nevermind!)

Quick Reply: 2015 F350 front end grinding