Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket headlights, do the clear housings make any difference over stock?

Old 12-13-2014, 01:30 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Golden Helmet
If anyone needs a set of good condition stock headlights, shoot me a PM, they're free to a good home. No sense throwing out something that someone might need, right?
think back how unsafe those were compared to what you have now.toss them into the round file where they belong.you don't want to be responsible for someones accident.anyone who needs a set of headlights should insure to get something bright and safe as well.old faded lenses don't belong on anyone's vehicle.

Originally Posted by Golden Helmet
Here's the short version of the results: THEY. ARE. AWESOME.
congrats! it's nice to drive at night when you can see isn't it?

Old 12-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Golden Helmet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My old housings are in very good shape, very little / no fading or anything, I just wanted to upgrade. I know a lot of people here are driving around with some REALLY fogged up lenses, so I would rather not throw them out if somebody can put them to good use.

I didnt get the relays in today, forgot to bring my tools with me to work. Once those are in and the lights are ajusted properly, I should be able to light up the world

Now I just need a 3G alternator and I'm set. I wish someone made a plug and play harness for the conversion, it'd make my job a lot easier since i'm useless at wiring (and everything else >.> )

Old 12-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Old 12-13-2014, 06:11 PM
The93GreyGhost
Freshman User
Those are great! I'm getting a pair. What is up with the wiring harness, is this required when you buy the new lenses?

Old 12-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Golden Helmet
Senior User
Awesome, thank you!

Originally Posted by The93GreyGhost
Those are great! I'm getting a pair. What is up with the wiring harness, is this required when you buy the new lenses?
Not required, just recommended, even with the stock lenses. The stock wiring is very thin, so only like 10 volts actually makes it to the bulbs. It also puts a lot of strain on your headlight switch, which has a reputation for being failure prone. The relay kit sets it up so that the load is taken off the headlight switch and the bulbs get the full voltage that they're supposed to have, making them brighter.

No pictures of the lights in action yet, but here they are installed on my truck. I was worried that they'd look like they don't belong on my truck, but all that worrying was for nothing, I love them

Name:  5jsIkfW.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  427.0 KB

Still torn about the blinkers / side markers though. Whadaya guys think, keep the stock blinkers or swap them out for the clears?

Old 12-13-2014, 08:34 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks good, Golden Helmet. Love how the clear headlights freshen up the look of the truck, not sure if you saw the pic of mine on Page 2 but they do look good with the stock corner lenses. I'm leaving the other housings on there... I just couldn't stand the factory headlight housings anymore, the light output SUCKED and they made the truck look like it had cataracts.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:15 PM
The93GreyGhost
Freshman User
Thanks for the explanation, truck looks awesome.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:50 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I woud go clear, The headlight being clear, and the blinker being a murky white, IDK, looks like it's kind of half done They look good though!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm with John. With the nice new clear lenses, the blinker lenses look kind of tatty.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:33 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
I went all clear lens throughout, but the housings are black. It doesn't affect my light output, and they look pretty good.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Golden Helmet
Senior User
I finally got some pictures of the lights in action! I made a new topic so anyone searching in the future won't have to sort through 3 pages to find out how well they work. I put the link in the original post, and I'll leave it here too.

Once again, thank you guys for your help. I probably wouldn't have done it without you guys giving me some input, and the pictures definitely helped a lot too

Originally Posted by dixie460
Looks good, Golden Helmet. Love how the clear headlights freshen up the look of the truck, not sure if you saw the pic of mine on Page 2 but they do look good with the stock corner lenses. I'm leaving the other housings on there... I just couldn't stand the factory headlight housings anymore, the light output SUCKED and they made the truck look like it had cataracts.
I did indeed see the picture you posted. That picture you posted is actually why I didn't immediately order the clear blinkers / corners; your truck looks good with the clear headlights and stock blinkers, so I figured I would hold off and see how I liked it on my truck.

I'm probably get the clear blinkers / corners eventually, but I'm not in any hurry on that, I like how it looks right now.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Any NEW lens will be a HUGE improvement over the 20 year old original

Old 12-22-2014, 10:42 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Has anyone had any luck with one piece projectors? I saw a set the other day, but I'll dig the link out after work. They looked really nice, and just eliminated the possibility of the corner blinker lights coming off, since they aren't really held on by much!

Old 12-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Have a link? As for output, they seem decent, but wont beat a set of quality projectors that are properly retrofitted.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:54 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Evan_P
Have a link? As for output, they seem decent, but wont beat a set of quality projectors that are properly retrofitted.
For 92 96 Ford Bronco F150 F250 F350 2in1 LED Halo Black Projector Headlights | eBay

I saw them online somewhere else, but that was the link my computer decided to save Maybe couple that with the upgraded headlight relay and some 6000k HID's, would look pretty snappy!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket headlights, do the clear housings make any difference over stock?