Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket headlights, do the clear housings make any difference over stock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 07:02 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks again Ford250. I'll look into that!

Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Now if only they made upgraded headlights for us bricknose owners.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 PM
87-XL-Squared
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gettysburg150
Question, where are you guys sourcing the Depo lights?
dunno about the Depo brand but I have good luck with the TYC brand at Amazon.com, for tail lights and head lights.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
I know of a place that sells a nice harness, but you won't like the price...

CE Auto Electric Supply - 9004 / 9007 Headlight Relay Kits

Old 11-29-2014, 12:06 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Yeah, that price seems a bit steep...

I've attatched a pic.

This is from the AutoTrucktoys.com website for the the link below.
Putco Ford F-Series Headlight Replacement Harness - AutoTruckToys.com

That picture looks identical to the one being sold by CE Auto Electric Supply. I will try to contact them and verify if it applies to our trucks.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:35 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clear lens with the black housing looks pretty good if I say so myself.

Ford250, what is the purpose of that blanket over your grill? To keep engine temps inside in cold weather?

Old 11-29-2014, 10:13 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
Ford250, what is the purpose of that blanket over your grill? To keep engine temps inside in cold weather?
winter grill covers help the diesel engine warm up and run warmer/quicker.very nice in getting really warm heat out of the heater too,just as long as you keep your eye on the temp gauge.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:21 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
winter grill covers help the diesel engine warm up and run warmer/quicker.very nice in getting really warm heat out of the heater too,just as long as you keep your eye on the temp gauge.
Thanks! It's on my to buy list now

Old 12-01-2014, 12:53 AM
Golden Helmet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those curious,
here is a link to the Depo lights on Amazon. here is a link to the Depo lights on Amazon.
I just ordered them, along with that Putco harness (I'm playing guinea pig for ya guys) and some new bulbs. Everything should be on my doorstep by Thursday. I'll take plenty of before and after pictures just incase someone else is thinking of doing the same upgrade.

I'm keeping my old side markers and blinkers for now. I'm torn on the blinkers; I love the stock amber color, but I also love the smooth chrome look the aftermarkets have. I'm kinda thinking the clear blinkers / markers would look too much like bling on a truck whose paint has seen better days (and rarely gets washed).

Old 12-01-2014, 03:00 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
You paid $140+ for the DEPO lights? I got mine shipped to my door for $69 new...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Depo-Pair-Euro-Style-Chrome-Headlights-Head-Lamps-92-96-Ford-F150-F250-Bronco-/331335670843?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d25251c3b

Old 12-01-2014, 04:57 AM
Jeff W.
Senior User
Another hi-jack here, but thought it better than starting an entire new thread on the same subject. LOL Anyone know if they make an aftermarket to fit the '89 F-150? The covers are not completely fogged, but heading that direction and they also are getting some condensation inside. If there are none for this truck, do any of you know if those new chemicals they make to "clear up" old headlights actually work? I thought if that was a solution, I could pull them out clean them up, seal around them and hopefully that would do the trick.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:05 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought mine from eBay as well but they're Eagle Eye brand or something, sold by vision-technology. They fit up good, came with new bulb retainers and a set of new Chinese bulbs too. I just looked at them in my eBay purchase history and that specific product link is no longer active but the seller is.

I didn't seal or otherwise do anything to them and I have zero issues with condensation which may or may not have anything to do with the fact that I'm running LED's instead of halogen bulbs, but no rain or anything else gets in either so I'd say they're sealed up good from the factory.

I think they were like $79 or something.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Golden Helmet
Senior User
Originally Posted by Evan_P
You paid $140+ for the DEPO lights? I got mine shipped to my door for $69 new...

Depo Pair Euro Style Chrome Headlights Head Lamps 92 96 Ford F150 F250 Bronco | eBay
Well $#!*. I was looking high and low for alternatives to the Amazon listing, but I couldn't find anything that was Depo for sure and not one of the other random companies. A lot of listings didn't specify the brand or serial number.

Oh well, what's done is done I suppose =\

Old 12-01-2014, 10:57 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
I guess if you weren't going to spend a lot of money, you could always try heating your headlights up in the oven on low heat, breaking the sealant on them, and buff them out. Then reseal with your favorite color of sealant glue.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:06 AM
Golden Helmet
Senior User
Update!

I chickened out and asked my mechanic if he could install the new headlights (I also haven't had a day off in weeks, but mostly scared). Poor guy had no idea what he was getting in to

Here's the short version of the results: THEY. ARE. AWESOME.

I don't have the relays in yet, but these new housings paired the brightest halogens Sylvania makes (SilverStar I think was the name) is a match made in heaven. I can actually see now, and the high beams are no longer a sad joke. I'm not sure if that's the housing or the bulbs, but either way it's a win.

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt (and likely fail) to put the relay kit in. Once I have that done and the housings correctly adjusted I'll get some pictures up.

If anyone reading this is on the fence like I was, just DO IT. They look awesome in the truck even with the stock blinkers / corner lights, and they make a huge difference on the road. The only slightly negative thing I have to say is that the beams seem very wide, the low beam is almost exactly the same width as my fog lights, but that could very likely be an adjustment problem so I'll report back on that.

Related: If anyone needs a set of good condition stock headlights, shoot me a PM, they're free to a good home. No sense throwing out something that someone might need, right?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket headlights, do the clear housings make any difference over stock?