1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Which EGR Tube do I Need

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:27 AM
macbuz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for that JWA. I'll check it out at Amazon - have a feeling it would arrive by the time I needed it too. This last nut is going to be a challenge I think and since I've come this far it only makes sense to remove and clean the valve.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:15 PM
macbuz
Junior User
Time to turn the corner

Got the valve out today. It was a bit frustrating, the rear nut/stud holding the valve turned out to be two (one over the other) - one holding a brace for the tranny dip stick, then a second one holding the valve. As hard as it is to get to this spot, that they would double up like this seems vengeful on the part of the designers.

So, turning the corner and have questions already. One regarding the re-use of the gasket and two about cleaning the valve.

So here's a shot of the gasket. The portion of the gasket around the open port is intact, but I don't know the limits ....

What my I supposed to do to clean the valve. I've watched a couple videos but the valves were considerably different than this one. Best I can tell is running a screwdriver around inside the throat and dig out any carbon. ???

Turns out I had a passenger for quite a while. He was tucked in above and behind the valve. Must have been a toasty spot till it got too toasty.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:15 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That EGR gasket is toast, burnt toast.
Reusing it Might cause a vacuum leak, and you Don't want that at this stage.

They are <$3 at the parts store, less on line (Rock)

The cleaning is really basic, some throttle body cleaner, a screwdriver to loosen up the heavy carbon build-up, and you want to check that the valve inside is loose (looks like a dome and should move with little movement from a screwdriver pushing on it.
Check the intake port also, see if there is a lot of carbon build-up.

If your stud bolts came out, put a little RTV on the gasket, line it up on the valve, and let it sit for 20 minutes, or 2 cups of coffee, so it don't move while your re-installing the valve/bolts.

That second picture is of a very important piece of monitoring equipment,
That is the monitor for the blinker fluid reservoir.
You'll have to figure out some way to re-attach it, Velcro, or duct tape?
And if left to UV exposure, you'll need to use camouflaged duct tape.

{Hope you knew I was only kidding on that second part??}

Didn't you have a sticker on the window from the 70's?
You know, gas.................no ride one rides for free.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:01 PM
macbuz
Junior User
Nice to be turning the corner on this project. Finally. Okay, I'll be grabbing a new gasket and RTV tomorrow - cleaning fluid too.

The cleaning sounds straight up and a good tip re the rtv on the gasket - I would have fought that mercilessly and with much frustration. So thanks.

Yeah my little mummy buddy has been around the block a few times ... and damn! he's been riding for free all this time. A little late to be collecting from him. I'm familiar with the bumper sticker, and actually a few variations on that sticker too.

I have a ways to go, but hopefully it'll be easier going back.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:50 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Man........Hate to keep sending you to the parts store........But, sometimes it's impossible to predict, while working on a project.......

Hope the parts store is a short ride away.
Plus the counter people are getting to know you better

So, now that you did turn that corner, you just need to remember where everything went

Like I said, once the rusted/seized bolts are out, reassembly is much easier.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:35 AM
macbuz
Junior User
Hey, the parts store isn't a problem. For one, it's little better than a stone's throw away. The car doesn't get a chance to warm up and the folks running the store have seen me around for 25 years - not real regular but off and on - for this and that, they are real easy to deal with.

I have a little worry about remembering the details of how it goes back together, don't want to get ahead of myself either. I did lay out the parts in order that they came off - so at least they aren't just in a heap. There are hoses and lines and connectors hanging all around the motor that I need to recall when and where they go.

I tend to worry about stuff even before I get to it - like the EGR tube connection at the manifold, I know I wasn't able to get a wrench on it to disassemble it so how will I get a wrench on it to 'assemble' it (can't use the sawzall in reverse - hehe!). Maybe I'll have to 'create' a tool - like whack my 1 1/4" wrench in half or something. Oh well, I'll cross the bridges as they come. Hopefully the anti-seize will help me 'finger tighten' everything which will be a big plus.

Me and the project ---->>

EDIT: Are there substitutes for throttle body cleaner?

Old 01-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
EDIT: Are there substitutes for throttle body cleaner?
Well, yes, But........Throttle body cleaner is the safest to use, most are O2 sensor safe, where carb cleaner, some are Not O2 sensor safe.
I know your Not spraying this into the TB, but......

Any cleaner would work, brake clean, oven cleaner.......just let it dry out really good before reassembly.

Back around the corner..........most all electrical connectors only fit in one place, so that's a problem solved before hand.

Most hoses only fit on to one fitting or the other, length, where they lay, helps.

Where you have to get worried is when your all done, and you have a big box with parts and bolts left over.......then it's time to worry.

Getting the bottom flange nut on the tube/manifold adapter, anything that is tight/snug will work, you don't need to have a ton of torque on a fitting like that.

I tend to worry about stuff even before I get to it -
Hey, that's just our nature from our day jobs - It's called "planning ahead"

Old 01-18-2015, 12:19 PM
macbuz
Junior User
Thanks for that on the Throttle Body Cleaner. Chances are I won't have much use for it after this (but you never know) - have a can of Starter Fluid taking up space and I know it's hot and evaporates pretty fast. Off to NAPA here in a few - gonna be a short day in the shop - NFC Championship game, Seahawks and Packers. Don't watch much through the season but in the end if there's a reason to watch I do.

I keep seeing this part or that part on my (makeshift) bench and I wonder "hmmmmm where the hell did that go". Then I figure as long as it's not left over in the end ......

EDIT: Just read on the Starter Fluid can that it is O2 sensor safe. FWIW.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:04 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
TB cleaner could be used on most any other automotive part needing degreasing so its not like it can be use only in that one place. IIRC I've used that or MAF cleaner interchangeably without any dire bad effects. I might be pure hype and a way to sell us more stuff but its not a bad idea to use something supposedly designed for any particular application.

Packers thought they were on their way huh, almost polishing up the divisional trophy. A few improbably moments later and everyone is WTF just happened?

Hope Sherman isn't out for the season---love watching him play. His after-the-game interviews are fun too---wonder if Erin Andrews will talk to him again this year?

Brady & Co. look to be tough opponents especially if Seattle plays like they did Sunday.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:13 PM
macbuz
Junior User
I've got the Valve as clean as it's gonna get - really not too much to them as cleaning goes. I've proclaimed "Use the right tool for the job" for as long as I can remember - it always pays. Not much else done yesterday, but hope to get a few hours in on it this afternoon.

Yeah I was about to give up on those Hawks early/mid third quarter, it had been too ugly. Nothing was working for the Hawks and everything was working for the Packers. Then one glimmer of light led to another and (like you said) WTF happened!!!

Sherman was certainly giving it his best but the grimace didn't look good, nor how he was holding that left arm to his body. Never did hear what the problem was or is. Kinda doubt he did any interviews yesterday - between the injury and a lackluster day - he wouldn't have much to say .... oh wait, thats Sherman I'm talking about, of course he'd have something to say anyway.

Kind of felt bad for the Packers, they 'were' polishing that trophy and I'm sure their fans were dancing in the streets already. What a disaster for them.

Seattle is going to have to bring their "A" game to Arizona for the Patriots. They looked polished and their running back Blount is a handful for any 3 guys.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:17 PM
macbuz
Junior User
Oh oooooh!!!! Arrrrrgh!!!

Have turned the corner, got the old valve and new gasket reinstalled. Got some things straight on how it's going to go back together. Decided to install the new adapter nut at the manifold and then the tube. Turns out the tube I got is the wrong one .....

So, the original is 1 1/4" top and bottom. The replacement is only 1 1/8" on the top end - won't fit to the valve. Guess I get to see how this works with RockAuto and returns/exchanges.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:34 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Oh man..........Not another stumbling block.........

Yes, I see the difference in your picture.
I can also see the rot holes in your old tube........at least that confirms that you did have a problem with the tube.

Rock is really good about returns, I just sent back some parts that I didn't need for another project, and even used their "return shipping label" service.
Yes, you pay for return shipping, but that's all, NO re-stocking charge.
With in a couple of days that they receive the part back, the $$ is back into your account.

Just pull up your order confirmation email, and click on the item you need to return. Again, one great place to order from on-line.

I went back and checked your pictures, Post #57 you show the EGR valve, does it look like this -

If it does, then if you look in Rockauto's pages, you have..........(drum roll here)......w/ Mass. Emissions; w/ Calif. Emissions.

The rest of us, in the other 48 states, don't have this problem.

That explains why you have the 2 tubes coming off the main tube and going to the EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor, (DPFE)

I checked Rocks pages, Advance, Napa and Auto Zone, none list this EGR tube for the California Emissions. So.......now what??
I would think that your friendly counter people at Napa should be able to get this for you threw there network.

I did find this from Fordparts.com -
Part Name: EGR Valve to Exhaust Manifold Tube
Part Number: 9D477
Part Description: 5.8L; With Calif. Ems. Price: $127.78

Found one on Amazon.com Price: $109.00 & FREE Shipping
Found on on ebay LINK.

Just Google that part number and see what you come up with on the West Coast?

So.......why did you buy a California Emissions Van????

While review my reply, I got a thought..........
What if, you take the tube and the EGR valve to the parts store, and see if they have a bushing/fitting that would make this work?? With the tubes laying side-by-side in your picture, it looks like the new tube is shorter that and OEM one?? Or is it just the way the picture is???
It also looks like your EGR valve might be a little shorter that the 48 states one also???

Old 01-19-2015, 09:30 PM
macbuz
Junior User
... as for why I bought a CA emissions van, I did't . I bought it from a 'Van' dealer in Portland and I imagine he bought it at auction. This was in 2000 and I wouldn't have known to ask what emissions standards the van had. I just wanted a van and I found one I liked so I bought it. I have a vague recollection of the notion that this Van had spent it's life till then on the highways in CA.

Glad to hear Rock is good about returns - my little searching said it was past the 30 day mark so - sorry charlie. I'll do what I can to return it anyway.

The picture you posted looks identical to mine. So, dang it - I'm up a bit of a creek here. I don't think there's room to add a piece/bushing - I was already a little concerned with the length as it was. Still a trip to NAPA to see what they have to offer is on the list.

I wonder if I could get a different valve that would work with the new tube?

I'll get some searching done and try to find how this will resolve. This tube was $40 (w shipping) so I thought I was doing good - now if I have to fork out $100 - well, the project will loose a little. sigh!!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:51 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Oh, I'm sure you didn't know about the van history, and I don't think any Used car salesman is going to inform you either.

Yea, I thought that too.........but, then you need to deal with the DPFE.
Plus the ECM is programmed for the Caif emissions..........

I do have the parts from a '94, EGR valve, EGR sensor (would replace the DPFE), can get the correct connector (round 3 wire), but what I'm worried about is the ECM not pick it up?? Or will it???

But then again........I know of some cases where they blocked off the EGR valve

Check out what you can about this, if you want to try my parts, send me a PM with your shipping info, and I'll get the parts together and out.

I'm in a slack right now, the vans loaded for an install, and their not ready, went out yesterday, and out of 3 openings, only one is the correct RO, so that's is to be corrected today???
I can check back later today to see how you made out with your research.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:27 AM
macbuz
Junior User
To experiment or not

Good morning. Considering my background (not a mechanic) I'm leaning hard toward biting the bullet and ordering from eBay or Amazon. My reluctance is the matter of the ECM programing and the amount of work to put things back together with crossed fingers. Of course I'd be ahead of the curve with 'lubed' hose fittings and anti-seized nuts and bolts ,

The idea of your '94 parts is what I had in mind, but my ignorance didn't consider the ECM programing. Nor did I know about the DPFE sensor being replaced with a EGR sensor. I wouldn't know how the EGR sensor would wire in, would it 'splice' in to the DPFE wiring? You 'are' dealing with a bit of a clueless wonder - it's no feat to figure out how to turn a wrench, but technical details and electrical stuff elude me all together. Wish I had the courage to try your parts - could be an easy out, but I just don't know - not even sure of the odds of them working. One thing for me to consider is the van doesn't have to be on the road for any reason (I'm not in a hurry necessarily) - biggest reason to have it done would be to have the van out of my shop. The shop is like a tornado hit (almost literally) and my OCD really lights up. Anyway .........❓❓❓

Something I noticed on both the Amazon site and eBay, neither unit came (or was pictured with) the adapter nut. Wonder if I should keep the one from RockAuto and try the return without it. Or maybe it's reasonably available elsewhere??

You probably mentioned somewhere a couple pages ago, but what sort of 'install' is the van loaded for?

Quick Reply: Which EGR Tube do I Need