What year 300 I-6 to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 PM
GM4WALLS
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What year 300 I-6 to buy?

There is a 50% off sale at the local JY this weekend, a few 300's will be available. The end goal will be a carb'd six resting in a 74' F100 two wheel drive. I know the ones available are most, if not all going to be fuel injected. Does it matter which year I pick, or are they all pretty much the same?

Old 11-25-2014, 07:28 PM
6978sghfbjklgdfsjhkl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GM4WALLS
There is a 50% off sale at the local JY this weekend, a few 300's will be available. The end goal will be a carb'd six resting in a 74' F100 two wheel drive. I know the ones available are most, if not all going to be fuel injected. Does it matter which year I pick, or are they all pretty much the same?
I would buy the one that seems thrashed the least. The cams and cranks, pistons are all pretty much the same. The cyl heads heads vary, and intake systems. The cam on an EFI motor will have a Fuel pump lobe. You just have to route out the hole for the pump to mount. the bolt holes are there for it. The EFI motors I have sourced generally have some cracking in the cyl heads.YMMV..again find one the least thrashed...if that is possible.and be prepared to disassemble and rebuild, hopefully the FIRST time for the engine you choose.

The good news is that should you choose an EFI motor, it will already have the respected EFI exhaust manifolds that are so popular. along with the dual-out flange pipes to the cat. THIS IS a good choice. Have fun

Old 11-25-2014, 07:36 PM
GM4WALLS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JohnSmith3524
I would buy the one that seems thrashed the least. The cams and cranks, pistons are all pretty much the same. The cyl heads heads vary, and intake systems. The cam on an EFI motor will have a Fuel pump lobe. You just have to route out the hole for the pump to mount. the bolt holes are there for it. The EFI motors I have sourced generally have some cracking in the cyl heads.YMMV..again find one the least thrashed...if that is possible.and be prepared to disassemble and rebuild, hopefully the FIRST time for the engine you choose.

The good news is that should you choose an EFI motor, it will already have the respected EFI exhaust manifolds that are so popular. along with the dual-out flange pipes to the cat. THIS IS a good choice. Have fun
Thanks. Would an electric fuel pump be a decent choice? Engine will get an aftermarket intake and carb as well as a cam.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:37 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
I would use an engine from '86 or earlier purely because the head has more performance potential. Grab the EFI exhaust from a later EFI engine.

There is nothing wrong with an electric pump - outside of the noise it makes.

All of the EFI engines are about the same, rebuild wise.

I'd never buy a junkyard engine and not tear it down to inspect. It is so much easier to correct any problems when it is outside the vehicle.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:46 AM
GM4WALLS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by The Frenchtown Flyer
I would use an engine from '86 or earlier purely because the head has more performance potential. Grab the EFI exhaust from a later EFI engine.

There is nothing wrong with an electric pump - outside of the noise it makes.

All of the EFI engines are about the same, rebuild wise.

I'd never buy a junkyard engine and not tear it down to inspect. It is so much easier to correct any problems when it is outside the vehicle.
Appreciate the info. I will definitely be rebuilding it. Motor should be $100.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:41 AM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
Get as much EFI stuff as you can, push through crazy and get some aftermarket EFI system!

Then run wasted spark coil pack and enjoy the constant tinkering with fuel and ignition maps

edit: FYI, The hardest part is triggering. I used a '96 distributor for it's simplicity and Hall Sensor. Then for cam sync I epoxied a magnet on the rotor and epoxied a hall sensor one the cap. kinda like this Not sure if earlier type distributors can be modded to remove the TFI module, but I'm sure they can. Then figure out a way to get high pressure fuel from tank to rail.

edit: or this or this

FWIW, I really like the reliablility of EFI and hate the constant fiddling with Carbs

Last edited by ZarK-eh; 11-26-2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: see edit: above
Old 11-26-2014, 11:58 AM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ZarK-eh
...enjoy the constant tinkering with fuel and ignition maps

FWIW, I ...hate the constant fiddling with Carbs
???????????

Old 11-26-2014, 12:06 PM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
what? I really don't like carbs. touch one screw and the figgin thing is outta tune! leaving me on the side of some deserted highway without anyway to fix it. Can't count how many times a carb has let me down.

I like efi because if I fiddle with the maps, it stays where I set it, until the next time I get the urge to mess with it.

Make no mistake about it though, it's a pain in azz to learn and with lots of electrical to sort through to get it to OEM quality, but the advantages for me outweigh going with carb.

Last edited by ZarK-eh; 11-26-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: verds are hard
Old 11-26-2014, 06:25 PM
GM4WALLS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ZarK-eh
what? I really don't like carbs. touch one screw and the figgin thing is outta tune! leaving me on the side of some deserted highway without anyway to fix it. Can't count how many times a carb has let me down.

I like efi because if I fiddle with the maps, it stays where I set it, until the next time I get the urge to mess with it.

Make no mistake about it though, it's a pain in azz to learn and with lots of electrical to sort through to get it to OEM quality, but the advantages for me outweigh going with carb.
I appreciate the info. I will be going the carb'd route. I used to have twin two barrel Minikuni carbs on my Yota low rider. Once learning to tune those... Everything else is child's play!!

Old 11-26-2014, 11:12 PM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
*nods*

hah yeah, go with what you know! Nothing wrong with a well tuned carb. I just don't have the mind or patience for it

yet, I spent 2 years building a harness for mine