1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

UPdate: I previously asked before of lowering my truck, but now I'm looking for what parts I need

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:57 AM
SonyResendiz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPdate: I previously asked before of lowering my truck, but now I'm looking for what parts I need

Okay, so I have previously made the question and your guys feedback was great, but I'm still at a lost giving that my truck has lead springs all around! And I need a little more guidance on this matter. As in what parts I need to accomplish at least a 3" drop on it. I remember reading of removing leafs but also of flipping them to the bottom can someone shed a little more light on the subject. I'll add pictures of the set up it has now. Also it's a 1964 f100 three on tree.

REAR SET UP

REAR SET UP

REAR SET UP

FRONT SET UP

FRONT SET UP

CURRENT HEIGHT want 3" inches lower.

Last edited by SonyResendiz; 11-23-2014 at 09:07 AM. Reason: UPLOAD PICS
Old 11-23-2014, 09:52 AM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SonyResendiz

Okay, so I have previously made the question and your guys feedback was great, but I'm still at a lost giving that my truck has lead springs all around! And I need a little more guidance on this matter. As in what parts I need to accomplish at least a 3" drop on it. I remember reading of removing leafs but also of flipping them to the bottom can someone shed a little more light on the subject. I'll add pictures of the set up it has now. Also it's a 1964 f100 three on tree.

REAR SET UP

REAR SET UP

REAR SET UP

FRONT SET UP

FRONT SET UP

CURRENT HEIGHT want 3" inches lower.

Wow, that is a really nice truck. I can't help on the lowering.

Actually I can, it just hurts to see a beautiful, stock-looking truck messed with.

On the rear, the cheapest and easiest option for anyone with a welder would be an axle flip (not actually flipping it, just putting spring perches on the bottom of the axles to have the springs go under the axle). That should get you over 3", if not 4".

I think you can do the same thing to the front too. Maybe take out a leaf or two on top of the flip to gain the desired 3" drop or do it right a buy a monoleaf spring for the front instead of taking leaves out (I think they make them for lowering these trucks).

Old 11-23-2014, 11:47 AM
SonyResendiz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Wow, that is a really nice truck. I can't help on the lowering.

Actually I can, it just hurts to see a beautiful, stock-looking truck messed with.

On the rear, the cheapest and easiest option for anyone with a welder would be an axle flip (not actually flipping it, just putting spring perches on the bottom of the axles to have the springs go under the axle). That should get you over 3", if not 4".

I think you can do the same thing to the front too. Maybe take out a leaf or two on top of the flip to gain the desired 3" drop or do it right a buy a monoleaf spring for the front instead of taking leaves out (I think they make them for lowering these trucks).
Hey man, thanks for that ill put a little more thought into it, I just wanted a little more drop to give it a sleeker look. Question when i add the new spring perches under the axle should i remove the previous ones?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:25 PM
rmk73
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice truck! As far as the rear perches, no you want to have them cut off if you flipped them to underside of axle. Have you searched the catalogs to see what your options are as far as different leaf springs or anything else? Just curious and I will subscribe to this to see what responses you get and what you end up doing. Later!

Old 11-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Read this thread and look at what Jim did.

Basically, he removed the second longest spring, turned it upside down and reinstalled it on top of the spring pack. After clamping everything in place, he reassembled the spring and it lowered his truck 3-4in.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-lowering.html

Im not a fan of the mono spring, they have been used in oem applications for years, but I cant get past the idea that if it breaks, that side of the suspension will fail.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:05 PM
SonyResendiz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Shadowrider123
Read this thread and look at what Jim did.

Basically, he removed the second longest spring, turned it upside down and reinstalled it on top of the spring pack. After clamping everything in place, he reassembled the spring and it lowered his truck 3-4in.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-lowering.html

Im not a fan of the mono spring, they have been used in oem applications for years, but I cant get past the idea that if it breaks, that side of the suspension will fail.
Hey thanks a lot shadowrider123!!! Definitely will be trying this sometime this week! I'll post some before and after pictures to see the outcome thanks again!

Also thanks Ryan and sure thing I'll post some pictures after I drop it.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:09 PM
SonyResendiz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rmk73
Nice truck! As far as the rear perches, no you want to have them cut off if you flipped them to underside of axle. Have you searched the catalogs to see what your options are as far as different leaf springs or anything else? Just curious and I will subscribe to this to see what responses you get and what you end up doing. Later!
Hey Ryan Check it out, I ended up going with what Shadowrider123 suggested. It gave me a nice drop i loved it. If you ever consider lowering yours thats the cheapest and easiest way to go. I have pictures of how i clamped and re-packed my leafs if interested.

Thanks Shadowrider123!!

Before and after! Gave Me 3-4 inch drop!

Old 12-02-2014, 06:14 PM
My1964ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by SonyResendiz
Hey Ryan Check it out, I ended up going with what Shadowrider123 suggested. It gave me a nice drop i loved it. If you ever consider lowering yours thats the cheapest and easiest way to go. I have pictures of how i clamped and re-packed my leafs if interested.

Thanks Shadowrider123!!

Before and after! Gave Me 3-4 inch drop!
Yes!! Please post the pictures!! I've been debating on doing but I'm still trying to workout exactly how I'm gonna go about doing it

Old 12-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Looks good, how much room do you have on the bump stops front and rear?

What size tires re you running? 235/75/15 look really good and fit the stock rims fine.

Im running H78-15s.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Jim Beckers
Senior User
Nice work Sonyresendiz. Another satisfied customer!

Old 12-02-2014, 09:30 PM
rmk73
Senior User
Nice! Glad you got it done. Can you post pics of under the truck?

Old 12-03-2014, 01:04 PM
SonyResendiz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by My1964ford
Yes!! Please post the pictures!! I've been debating on doing but I'm still trying to workout exactly how I'm gonna go about doing it
Here they are hope theyre helpful if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I used one of these straps to close the leaf as much as possible to be able to fit a 12" threaded rod i put nuts on both ends and just tighten the nut down until your leafs are compressed.

once they're completely compressed put a c-clamp remove the foot rod and replace it with your bolts either new ones or the previous one and go ahead and put it on.

then to put the clips back on i used the c-clamp and some pressure pliers to close them back up.

This is what your leaf spring pack should look like once finished

If i left something unclear feel free to ask. Good luck post your results hear id like to see it.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:11 PM
My1964ford
Senior User
Thanks so much for posting the pictures and how you got it done!! I've only got a couple of simple questions..

1) What size bolt did you use? (The thickness is what I'm concerned about)

2) How did you drill the hole for the bolt? Could I use just a simple chorded drill and a metal bit?

3) How long did it take you to do the entire drop?

Thanks again!!
CJ

Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
The bolt and holes are already there.

I don't remember what diameter they are.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:15 AM
SonyResendiz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by My1964ford
Thanks so much for posting the pictures and how you got it done!! I've only got a couple of simple questions..

1) What size bolt did you use? (The thickness is what I'm concerned about)

2) How did you drill the hole for the bolt? Could I use just a simple chorded drill and a metal bit?

3) How long did it take you to do the entire drop?

Thanks again!!
CJ
Like shadowrider123 said the bolts and holes are on your leafs already there. If your previous bolts seem no good you can go to Napa and match the bolt there. And it took me about 10 hours in total divided in two days.

Quick Reply: UPdate: I previously asked before of lowering my truck, but now I'm looking for what parts I need