Cold Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 06:22 AM
Blaster1955
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Start Problem

I have a 2001 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4 with a 5.4l engine.I have had the truck for a couple years here on my farm in Nova Scotia Canada.If the weather is below freezing 32 degree it turns over well but will not start.The only code I had was oxygen sensors so I replaced them and code is gone.Above 32 the truck starts and works perfect.When cold I checked for fuel at the rail and lots of fuel and pressure here but I changed filter and fuel pressure regulator.Checked and have voltage going in and coming out of inertia switch. The truck also has a block heater and even plugged in so you can feel the engine is warm it won't start if below 32.Last year it was the same starting wise but the truck wasn't used much this year with more snow it would be nice to have it as a back up to my old Honda CRV.I called the closest dealer and said to check the fuel module but in my manual I only find information and location for a module in the diesel trucks.I looked in the locations listed there and nothing here.With the fuel at the rail I don't think it would be the pump especially where it works so good above the 32 degree mark,Also new plugs etc. have been put in.Any ideas of where I might look would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for any help you can be.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Jimmyskalla
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Blaster1955
I have a 2001 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4 with a 5.4l engine.I have had the truck for a couple years here on my farm in Nova Scotia Canada.If the weather is below freezing 32 degree it turns over well but will not start.The only code I had was oxygen sensors so I replaced them and code is gone.Above 32 the truck starts and works perfect.When cold I checked for fuel at the rail and lots of fuel and pressure here but I changed filter and fuel pressure regulator.Checked and have voltage going in and coming out of inertia switch. The truck also has a block heater and even plugged in so you can feel the engine is warm it won't start if below 32.Last year it was the same starting wise but the truck wasn't used much this year with more snow it would be nice to have it as a back up to my old Honda CRV.I called the closest dealer and said to check the fuel module but in my manual I only find information and location for a module in the diesel trucks.I looked in the locations listed there and nothing here.With the fuel at the rail I don't think it would be the pump especially where it works so good above the 32 degree mark,Also new plugs etc. have been put in.Any ideas of where I might look would be greatly appreciated.
Check pcm relay swap with another non essential relay. Also on back of idle air control there is a solenoid that opens and. Closes letting more or less air into motor when at idle. Maybe thats not working right but doesnt show it until its cold. If you have both of them working make sure its not an intermittent fuel
Pump. Simce you said your plugs were replaced not too long ago ypu could pull one really really carefully so ypu don strip threads and check for spark while someone cranks.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Jimmyskalla
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jimmyskalla
Check pcm relay swap with another non essential relay. Also on back of idle air control there is a solenoid that opens and. Closes letting more or less air into motor when at idle. Maybe thats not working right but doesnt show it until its cold. If you have both of them working make sure its not an intermittent fuel
Pump. Simce you said your plugs were replaced not too long ago ypu could pull one really really carefully so ypu don strip threads and check for spark while someone cranks.
You couldalso try cleaning maf sensor with maf cleaner.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Jimmyskalla
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jimmyskalla
You couldalso try cleaning maf sensor with maf cleaner.
Just remembered wifes expedition wouldnt start one time it cranked but nothing. It was my set of keys. Only her set would start it for some reason. I have to ralk to dealer and give vin to get code to reset my key and our door codes

Old 02-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Blaster1955
New User
I'll try to get it pushed into a barn in the morning and check the things you have mentioned and get back to you

Al

Old 02-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Jimmyskalla
Freshman User
Let me know what happens in case mine does it one day lol

Old 11-20-2014, 09:02 PM
toddsthunder
New User
Same problem

Did you ever get this problem corrected? If so, what did you do? I am have the exact same problem with my 2001 F250 4x4 5.4l.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:03 AM
Blaster1955
New User
Originally Posted by toddsthunder
Did you ever get this problem corrected? If so, what did you do? I am have the exact same problem with my 2001 F250 4x4 5.4l.
After deciding to use the truck only in the summer I was talked into a friend of my daughter's taking the truck and finding the problem and he did.Every sensor fuel rail fuel line and fiter had already been replaced.The vacum line running back to the tank had water in it and it would freeze when cold enough to not let it start.Cleaned and dried and ran a water remover that he got from Carquest I think it was APO40 or AFO40 and it has started each day since no matter what the temperature

Old 11-21-2014, 12:45 PM
toddsthunder
New User
After deciding to use the truck only in the summer I was talked into a friend of my daughter's taking the truck and finding the problem and he did.Every sensor fuel rail fuel line and fiter had already been replaced.The vacum line running back to the tank had water in it and it would freeze when cold enough to not let it start.Cleaned and dried and ran a water remover that he got from Carquest I think it was APO40 or AFO40 and it has started each day since no matter what the temperature
Thank you. I will start the process of cleaning moisture out of fuel system. I know these trucks don't have sensors to tell the outside tempeture, but it just seemed odd to me that I only experience a problem with the initial start if the temp drops below 32. For two weeks, we have been below 32 and I have been having problems with my initial start every morning. The truck will start and run normal the rest of the day. For the past three days we have been above 32 and I have had no problems with it starting.
Now that I think about it, I wonder if the winter blend of fuel contains more ethanol which I know is water soluble and could be absorbing more moisture from atmosphere which would leave more moisture in my lines to freeze. Hmmm...needs more research.