6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 F350 6.4 Glow Plug Blew Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 04:51 PM
DGMFORD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F350 6.4 Glow Plug Blew Out

Today I started my truck and commenced to drive out of the parking lot and one of the glow plugs on the drivers side blew out. I found the plug laying in the parking lot and the threaded part I assume is still in the head. Is this a common problem or do I have a bigger issue? and how hard is that to change.

The only change was last weekend my batteries crapped out on me and it did all the normal going deal battery stuff but I changed my batteries and all seemed ok. Probably not the cause.

thanks

Old 11-24-2014, 09:56 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
never heard of this before

Old 11-26-2014, 09:46 AM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I seem to recall reading one other post of such and issue in the six years I've been following the 6.4 forums.

I'd call it a big problem since there could be debries in the cylinder at a minimum, and it could be a symptom of a bigger issue. Perhaps there is a leaking injector and the cylinder near hydro-locked but the GP blew out before it threw a rod or something? Certainly I wouldn't just replace the GP without removing the head and inspecting or perhaps sending in an inspection camera if you can find one that fits.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:38 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by DGMFORD
I found the plug laying in the parking lot and the threaded part I assume is still in the head.

thanks
I have seen this before, Did your glow plug look like this where the element and connection blow out of the body? There faulty or failed glow plugs, not a common problem but it happens. Best to replace all 8, also inspect the harness while your in there.

Attached Images   
Old 11-26-2014, 01:31 PM
DGMFORD
Senior User
Took the truck over the my mechanical (ford) buddy and what happened is the glow plug came out where the threaded part crimps to the plug, the threaded part is still in the head intact. I found the glow plug laying in the parking lot and it was intact also, so no debris in the head. Also they are ordering a new harness since that was broke.

thanks.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:08 PM
soapthedog45
New User
[QUOTE=DGMFORD;14842913]Today I started my truck and commenced to drive out of the parking lot and one of the glow plugs on the drivers side blew out. I found the plug laying in the parking lot and the threaded part I assume is still in the head. Is this a common problem or do I have a bigger issue? and how hard is that to change.

I know I am real late to the party but I think I just had this happen. I have a 2008 6.4L F350 with 95k miles. Did it sound like air escaping and you lost all power? Was it as simple as replaceing the GP and harness? Or was there a bigger issue that repeated the failure or worse once you got the truck running again. Pleeeaaase reply. I hope you are still out there. Thank you very Much. BTW.. was it cylinder 8?

Old 08-03-2016, 06:39 AM
DGMFORD
Senior User
I'm still here, I did not have any more problems, replaced the GP and harness and we were good to go. I don't have the truck any longer, traded it last year for a new one but I did lose power, sounded like a freight train and blew oil everywhere. I think it was the 3rd cylinder on the drivers side if I remember correctly. What I did find out was that the threaded part of the GP was still intact, it came apart where the stem of the plug and the threaded part crimp together. it was strange but was an easy fix.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:47 AM
soapthedog45
New User
I'm still here, I did not have any more problems, replaced the GP and harness and we were good to go. I don't have the truck any longer, traded it last year for a new one but I did lose power, sounded like a freight train and blew oil everywhere. I think it was the 3rd cylinder on the drivers side if I remember correctly. What I did find out was that the threaded part of the GP was still intact, it came apart where the stem of the plug and the threaded part crimp together. it was strange but was an easy fix.
David, Thank you so much for the reply. Yup, sounds like a freight train and oil/diesel everywhere. That makes me real happy. It really sounds like I have the same issue. Hopefully the biggest part of this repair will not be the repair but getting stuff moved out of the way to get to the gp. Thank you once again.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:49 PM
DGMFORD
Senior User
You should be able to get to that by removing the inner fender skirt. The harness and all will be exposed.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:18 AM
John R. Henderson III
New User
OMG, thinking this is my issue too!!!

Originally Posted by soapthedog45
David, Thank you so much for the reply. Yup, sounds like a freight train and oil/diesel everywhere. That makes me real happy. It really sounds like I have the same issue. Hopefully the biggest part of this repair will not be the repair but getting stuff moved out of the way to get to the gp. Thank you once again.

I was pulling out of a parking lot and maybe going five or 10 miles an hour when I heard a pop and then it sounded like an old steam engine going pop pop pop pop pop pop. I pulled into the parking lot about 150 feet and parked it I could see a little bit of smoke no oil was leaking. I hope this ends up being a cheap and easy fix. The Ford garage told me at $120 an hour they would need to look at it to make sure the threads were stripped and it could be part of a bigger problem.Is this part of a bigger problem? Why would this happen?