1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How 05-10 Hubs are supposed to look?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:11 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
You should not leave the hubs in lock. When you do this you are locking the two front wheels and this causes binding when turning, which breaks things. Hubs should ONLY be locked off pavement or in conditions with little traction.

If the hubs are not working in AUTO that should be addressed. Routine maintenance will keep that function...well, functional.

Almost no one maintains their hubs, and instead opts for aftermarket versions (which are not available for 05+ axles). People claim "manual hubs are better, I know they are locked."

Well, my hubs lock 99% of the time in Auto. If they dont, they still lock manually, just like those aftermarket ones.

I've gotten off point.

If the hubs are shot, it should be obvious when you pull them.
Replace the hubs, keep them maintained, and only lock when AUTO fails to engage in 4x4.

That simply isn't true. The 04 Ranger that I had didn't have hubs; the front end turns all the time, and you only engage or disengage the transfer case. Jeeps are the same. My 75 GMC is full-time 4WD; that front end has been locked together and turning for almost 40 years. All new Dodge trucks- their front ends turn all the time. Unless you have a locked front differential, it does not hurt it, other than the normal wear and tear. The differential compensates for the two front wheels turning different revolutions. For that matter, it is no different than the rear axle.
I haven't checked the owners manual in my 04 SD, but I've read plenty of others that highly suggested running the truck with the hubs locked in (with the transfer case in 2WD, obviously) once a month for at least a couple of miles, to keep things lubed and free.
It does not hurt your truck, unless you have a locking front differential, to drive it on pavement with the hubs locked in. It will hurt it to have it locked in 4WD, though.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 PM
XLnAK
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford full size truck came stock with full-time 4 wheel drive. It meant that there was no locking hubs. I think un-locking hubs, was a gas mileage reward/After thought. In those rigs the transfer case could be put in 2 wheel.

You asked about inspecting the hubs. Chips and pieces of metal are bad yes. When cleaned you might find fine metal flakes in the diesel fuel used to clean the gear sets and bearing set. Diesel doesn't strip the gears and bearing of all lubricant, and in its self, holds some lubricity. Dry parts before re-lubing. Dont use it on plastic or rubber. Clean and rinse. By removing the wear material laden grease, It will free up operation and offer greater protection.

I think just about every shop has wanted to change out my ESFO hubs lol.

It doesn't take a long period of non-use for things to be not so new in a 4x4 front end. Lock your hubs and give it all a workout, once a month or after rain, crossing deep water/Puddles.

Most likely a good write up or a you-tube about maintaining your year hubs.
Examine each of the points mentioned buy the shop your self if possible. Then you'll be ahead of the game. GL

Last edited by XLnAK; 11-21-2014 at 06:32 PM. Reason: wrong OP
Old 11-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Dbergeson
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just in 4x4. I pulled them all the teeth look good etc. they seemed to move freely and plenty of clean grease.

Originally Posted by phillips91
Are your hubs locked and truck in 2wd or 4wd when this happens? You shouldn't get binding in 2wd even if your hubs are locked.