Hose sprung a leak - opportunity

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 05:03 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda funny title, but it explains it. The high pressure side hose on my '70 F-100 blew out. Sprung a leak and blew all the R-134a out. After some choice words were said, I began to see this as an opportunity to do a number of things. The air conditioner never worked real good, just cooled to 60 on an 80 degree day, hotter on hotter days. Anyway, here's what I was thinking:

1. Use one of the R-12 alternatives other than R-134a. I've heard they work good.

2. Use the right kind of oil, meaning PAG instead of the ester oil I was using. If the refrigerant from #1 takes a different kind of oil, I'll use that. I was getting some light compressor squeaking just starting out.

3. Use one of those VOV expansion valves, anyone got any info on those? I think a plugged expansion valve is what caused the hose to blow. Additionally, anyone know how to install one of those? I'm kind of new at this.

Old 07-17-2003, 07:55 PM
I am Danll
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rusty it sounds like the prime oprotunity to do it up right.
1 flush the system, pull off the compressor, and condenser and drain out all the oil then flush separt.
2 replace the bad hose and put in a new accumulator.
3 go with a standard fixt orifice tube (red tube)if you mostly run the hyway or the VOV if you mostly run in town it will be in the hard pipng before the evaporator.
4 reassemble the system and put the oil charge in the compressor and and condenser per spec (PAG-42).
5 vacuum it down and check for leaks. when you get ready to charge it put in a can of maxi-cool first and then charge to 85% of the original R-12 charge by weight approx. dont go over 40 to 45 on the low side. keep a themometor in the vents run the a/c on high while charging look for an avaerage of 45 at the vents. and stop there if you are close to the 85% mark