2012 F250 "Flex Fuel" mpg and octane? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Reload this Page >

2012 F250 "Flex Fuel" mpg and octane?

Notices
6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Old 11-17-2014, 05:06 PM
jage
New User
jage is starting off with a positive reputation.

My dad just picked up a 2012 F250 Crew Cab Longbed with 22K miles, and the 6.2. It takes Flex Fuel of course. I know E85 gets you horrible mpgs but with straight gasoline he is pulling 14mpg empty, all interstate and around 11.2 with his light slide in camper (very old, very light popup). He drives like an old man () so it's not a throttle issue. It's 4x4, hubs unlocked, just came from a dealer so the tire pressure should be right, oil and filters should be fresh.

In all of my little gassers, upping to the highest octane gets me better mpgs to the point of beating the price spread, so I run the highest octane (well the highest that isn't race fuel). I tried to talk him into running a few tanks of high octane through to see if his mpgs improved, but he claims the manual calls for the lowest octane rated fuel when using gasoline.

Is this a Flex Fuel thing? Does it really say you should use 85/87 octane? Is there a reason not to use higher octane?

Old 11-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Amelio is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
In my experience with my truck (2012 CC 4x4) it's a waste of money to use anything other that 87oct in a stock tuned truck.

I have run E-85 and there is a noticeable performance difference but the mpg does drop about 2-3 mpg.

Stock tuned truck stick with regular fuel.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:45 PM
BigMix
Senior User
BigMix is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same experience with higher octane and E85. The only thing higher octane will do for you without a tune is lighten up your wallet.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:09 PM
misspeabodi
New User
misspeabodi is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not sure if anyone will notice this comment since it's been 4 years, but I'm shopping F-250s and see a lot of flex fuels. Are these worth buying? How is maintenance later on in their life? Can you really just use regular unleaded 87 in it if you can't locate an E85 station? I've seen some good deals on these but I'm concerned about the long term. Thoughts?

Old 08-30-2018, 02:53 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
search for on this forum.. flatbed ED.... his 6.2L Failed at 418,000 miles

I have 163,000 miles on my 2012.. and tow heavy..... on 87 gas....

search on this forum.. 2011 to 2017... 6.2L..... very reliable ... just maintenance and oil changes..

Old 08-31-2018, 07:45 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Ron94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to all
All the gas super duty's are flex fuel now. My first mod was removing the flex fuel badge from the tailgate to clean up the rear end some. All that means is the computer is capable of adjusting timing to compensate for the different fuels. If your run the e85, anything you save on fuel cost will be offset by poorer fuel mileage. Most of us just run regular pump gas. I don't even have access to e85 locally. There are no reliability problems or concerns because of it being flex fuel

Old 08-31-2018, 08:32 AM
misspeabodi
New User
Originally Posted by Ron94150 View Post
All the gas super duty's are flex fuel now. My first mod was removing the flex fuel badge from the tailgate to clean up the rear end some. All that means is the computer is capable of adjusting timing to compensate for the different fuels. If your run the e85, anything you save on fuel cost will be offset by poorer fuel mileage. Most of us just run regular pump gas. I don't even have access to e85 locally. There are no reliability problems or concerns because of it being flex fuel
Awesome! You really explained this well, thank you for the simplified explanation. This is quite reassuring as well.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:50 AM
Thenewboss
Elder User
Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.
93 may have a placebo, seat of the pants type effect on you, but there's not an appreciable difference in performance or economy unless you are tuned for it. E85 may feel good when you're paying at the pump, but you'll be re-fueling a bit sooner than 87. I've put it all in my tank, from backwoods 85 octane junk to 93 high dollar high test while towing, and never has there been any advantage one way or the other. Go ahead and share links to Popular Mechanics articles or quote the most recent Shell Oil commercials all you want; bottom line is you can get away with putting a very wide range of gas products in these trucks with very little advantage or disadvantage. It's your money spend it how you want, I tend put the cheapest available in the tank and never once have I ever worried about it, unlike my previous truck with the 6.7. Too me, this kind of flexibility and peace of mind is well worth owning the 6.2 gas burner effectively leaving octanes and brands simply something to argue about on the interwebz.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:41 AM
misspeabodi
New User
Thanks for the responses everyone! I finally bought my truck! 2017 F250 6.2 Gas (f/f) 4x4 with 9k miles -- I'm so in love with it

Old 09-14-2018, 10:44 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Ron94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to all
Congrats, nice truck. I wish I could get away with a regular cab. That is a great blank canvas to start working with. Time to get to work with the mods!

Old 09-14-2018, 10:48 AM
Thenewboss
Elder User
Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.
Agreed on the regular cab thing. If I didn't require the backseat space, i would definitely go this route.Nice ride!

Old 09-14-2018, 10:56 AM
misspeabodi
New User
Thanks! It would've been nice to have at least the 2 smaller back doors, but it's all good--I'm totally not complaining

As for mods, yes! I'm thinking an air intake first, but I need to hit the forums and educate myself on those. But the v8 in this sounds soooo nice when I start it up. I want to accentuate that purr into a growl, which I'm thinking requires exhaust work too?

I dunno, I have some homework to do, but regardless, I'm stoked!

Old 09-14-2018, 11:13 AM
Thenewboss
Elder User
Originally Posted by misspeabodi View Post
Thanks! It would've been nice to have at least the 2 smaller back doors, but it's all good--I'm totally not complaining

As for mods, yes! I'm thinking an air intake first, but I need to hit the forums and educate myself on those. But the v8 in this sounds soooo nice when I start it up. I want to accentuate that purr into a growl, which I'm thinking requires exhaust work too?

I dunno, I have some homework to do, but regardless, I'm stoked!
Air intake is an expensive noise maker with nothing to gain but noise and a lighter wallet. Some gains may be seen when coupled with full exhaust from the engine back, and dyno tuning. Think functional regarding mods, what do you need? Whats your usage etc? There's way to many functional accessories with good bang for the buck I would look at before even entertaining anything performance oriented. Ford doesn't leave much on the table for performance with these engines.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:25 PM
misspeabodi
New User
Originally Posted by Thenewboss View Post
Air intake is an expensive noise maker with nothing to gain but noise and a lighter wallet. Some gains may be seen when coupled with full exhaust from the engine back, and dyno tuning. Think functional regarding mods, what do you need? Whats your usage etc? There's way to many functional accessories with good bang for the buck I would look at before even entertaining anything performance oriented. Ford doesn't leave much on the table for performance with these engines.

THIS is exactly why I love these forums! And that's exactly what I want, is something fun but functional. Technically, I don't 'need' anything, but as far as things off the top of your head that would give me more bang for my buck, what would you recommend? I'm not going to dump my next paycheck into anything, but I'm just thinking of fun things I can buy for it in the future, but things that still serve a purpose.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
I don't know all the options you have, and I'm not near as familiar with the 17^ models. But things like factory trailer break controller, upfitter switches, and back up cameras are functional, and relatively easy. Depending on what you use your truck for, maybe a bed cover? I cut a 2x6 to go in the groves inside my truck bed. That way I can haul small things, like groceries at the back of the bed, without having to worry about them sliding to the front. Then you have costly things like wheels and tires, lifts, gears, etc. Maybe you want to dress up the front end with a chrome grille. Maybe a shorter 2wd air dam? Cab lights? The list is endless.