Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

RacinNdrummin's Fullsize Bronco IDI Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:08 AM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
May not be the numbers you wanted, but still, pretty impressive in my book.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:45 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it might keep pullin a little farther up. Think its the heads?

Old 08-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
Im wanting to have it ready for Hunting For Horsepower in Idaho labor day...
That's... like an hour away from me. Now that I know about this event, I'm going to be there!

If it's cheap/easy enough, I'll see if I can get my own truck on that dyno, but if not I'm gonna be watching. I /really/ want to see and hear those R&D trucks run.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:23 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kla94
May not be the numbers you wanted, but still, pretty impressive in my book.

I agree, +45/40 at the wheels from a N/A diesel is definitely worth something.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:32 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
I thought it might keep pullin a little farther up. Think its the heads?

Nope....

And Im glad you brought it up, because it shows the huge importance Fuel Curves have in relation to power...

When I had that pump originally calibrated, it was for a flat 70cc all the way across the board. The governor finally pulled enough fuel at 4500RPM to limit RPM...

Now that I just cranked the fuel screw, peak fueling is higher (And with this calibration, its pretty obvious the point where fueling and RPM are the most efficient is 3300rpm), but the governor is still set exactly right where I had it at calibration. It still pulls all the way up, as you can see in the dyno, but because it starts cutting peak fuel earlier, the HP peak is much lower RPM than it would be, even though it is still more power than a flat 70cc would have made. If I was to reset the governor to pull that peak fueling even higher, I might have seen my 200whp goal at 3600RPM or so...

This is why its important to know the fuel curve and why I rate all my pumps at HP peak (Just like diesels show on the engine tag right?)... And also why other pumps that flow 105cc at peak flow mean absolutely nothing in terms of where or what power is going to be made.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:54 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Ok...

So now that stage 2 of the bronco build is under way, I have been collecting parts, and it will all happen fast, Labor day is coming up quick. I have already signed the bronco up for the Dyno event and the Dirt Drags...

I have the stage 2 kit in line (Two kits in front of mine, so Im playing the R&D waiting game...), and the pump will head to my pump guy for upgrade as soon as the turbo kit is about done (He is really excited, I basically gave him free reign to squeak every drop of fuel out of a DB2 he can, He even wants to try the whole "leaf spring delete" thing to see what it will actually do (Not that I am all that excited about that, but hell, why not?)...

I have been putting things together for the new line of R&D turbo's, all BW S300sx-e based, and so far the new stage 2 has been the easiest to get ahold of, so I picked as the best option for the amount of fuel and W/M ill be running...

Its a 64.5/73/.91 with a FMW compressor wheel, and revamped 73mm Turbine wheel (cast clip for better spool, and better flow). The compressor housing has provisions for a shaft speed sensor, and is completely redesigned. Rumor is that the housing is responsible for big gains in flow, more so than the new cold wheel.

I also got my matching boost gauge, and dual pillar pod.

Then today... Leo (Bruteford) hooked me up with his spare Semi-float 3.55 10.25. Last weekend I pulled a trac-lok unit out of a JY truck, and this last week I ordered my Dutchman 5x5.5 axles for the sterling... They should be in monday so I can start putting the axle together. I am going to be using either Expedition rear discs, or Explorer rear discs, depending on which require less modification to make happen..

I also got a few things for the W/M setup I am going to run... I am going to pull the snow kit off Smogie, ditch the Controller and wire in two Hobbs switches with a solenoid for a dual stage W/M setup... First stage will come in at ~10psi and the second at ~20 (Need to tune it), 20gph total, and I have 5gal of 100% methanol sitting here that I will probably cut to 50/50... I think this will make not having an IC a non-issue...

Anyway, more soon as I make progress.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:16 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
Sounds like a plan!

Old 08-16-2015, 10:15 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
If a guy was to look at ordering a camshaft for a motor that will see mild (stock turbo kit) boost would you recommend your stage 1 or the 5.0HO based cam?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:49 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PlumCrazy7
If a guy was to look at ordering a camshaft for a motor that will see mild (stock turbo kit) boost would you recommend your stage 1 or the 5.0HO based cam?
I have to see what this cam is going to do on the dyno with a turbo to be able to answer that...

That being said, the HO based cam has significantly more overlap than the stage 1, so it might not be the best choice for a restricted hotside turbo... That could change with clever WG tuning, and may even help, but that is beyond my information at this point. I can say that it works very well for an N/A setup, if you look at the curves, they are both very flat and the power band is very broad. If the WG was tuned to dump a decent amount of drive pressure (keeping the turbo in its efficient boost range), the cam might broaden the power band of an 093 setup. I can only speculate until I see what this thing does under boost though.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:42 PM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What are you doing with your N/A setup?

Old 08-18-2015, 09:00 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by pgg00
What are you doing with your N/A setup?

I don't really know yet. I was going to put it on my dads 91, but I think I may turbo that instead.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:02 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Dutchman's came yesterday...

Really nice pieces...

I am probably going to get the 10.25 built first and drop it in, that will get it out of the way. I just need to find some time to get out to the yard and take some brake measurements.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:19 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
late model econoline E150s had rear disk brakes factory. 5 on 5.5, They do require 16" rims.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:41 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FordTruckfan89
late model econoline E150s had rear disk brakes factory. 5 on 5.5, They do require 16" rims.

I read that today, the problem is that I am stuck with these 15's until I get new wheels and tires.... If I can find one in a yard, Ill see if a 15 can be made to work, and that's the best option... Worst case, Ill make the explorers work... The Expeditions are already out the window...

Old 08-18-2015, 11:34 PM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
I don't really know yet. I was going to put it on my dads 91, but I think I may turbo that instead.
Let me know if you decide to sell it

Quick Reply: RacinNdrummin's Fullsize Bronco IDI Build