Do you leave the TV(s) in your RV

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you leave the TV(s) in your RV

OK, just for conversations sake, I pulled the two TVs out of our new 5er. I've done it in the past and am just carrying on the tradition. The Toshiba in the last one and the Vizio in the current trailer went in the bedroom and used there. The little 12v, 19" from the 5er is in a drawer just waiting to be reinstalled. On the brand dedicated forum for the last trailer, several folks thought there could be damage from sub-zero temps, and being so easy to remove decided that it might not be a bad idea plus the added benefit of having a decent size bedroom TV sounded pretty good vs the ancient and dinky CRT that has since gone to electronic heaven.

Now, with all that said, any others that do this TV removal??

Old 11-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
I wouldn't call it a bad decision in upstate NY. Electronics don't like the hot cold cycles. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic in SE PA, and I have a very tough time keeping electronic stuff alive in my work truck. I've given up on most of it, and went back to mechanical. My Fluke 88 is about the only thing that's stood the test of time, and after 13 years that needs to get redone too.

Long story short, it's so easy to do, I certainly wouldn't call it a waste of time. Just leaning on the safe side.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:14 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've not ever removed the TVs from the camper and not had any troubles. The heat/cold is such a gradual change, i'm not sure if it makes any difference in longevity or not...

Old 11-13-2014, 05:11 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I never have removed mine. Even with winter camping it is a gradual warm up so it does not seem to matter.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:50 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to build electronics for a living and we burned them in in the extremes for testing

I am in the south so we don't get below zero but have never, nor have never heard, of pulling out electronics... what about all the leveling systems, radios, inverters, etc.... that are left in there ???

Certainly do what you want, but 100,000's don't pull them out...

Old 11-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh well, I have a decent bed room TV over the next 3-4 months for my 10 minutes of fussin'

Old 11-13-2014, 06:22 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Just a thought, but manufacturers have been building them in for years including in outside bays and I have never seen them removed due to temperature changes. From reading, it looks to me as though when they are extremely cold the picture degrades until they warm up, but I think that is about it. Ours is in our camper now and we have forecast to drop to 19 degrees tonight.

No reason not to remove them, but you probably don't have to.

Steve

Old 11-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have not removed ours. The owners manual says the TV is good to 0. I know we have had colder temps, in fact it was colder than that last night.

I think the real key here is that you can not just fire it up when it has been that cold. It needs a gradual warm up. The other thing is that while the thermometer may be reading really cold, I am not sure the inside temp in the trailer is that cold even with no heat. During the day sunlight warms it up and it does take a while to cool off again.

With that in mind, I have an inside/outside thermometer in the trailer. I am going to zero it out and see how it reads with highs and lows.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:27 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
I have always removed mine...from CRT's to the new flat screen....best reason I can think of is to use in the basement for the kids for the holiday meals we host...... Maybe when I win the lottery I'll buy one for that room.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In 2007 I was working for suncoast RV in memphis

MASSIVE damage was caused by break-ins, and the flatscreens were stolen from the RV's.

A year later at SOUTHAVEN RV, the same vandalism happened

A high value item in an RV is a target for maliscious persons - and an RV has few safeguards

I would take the items out of the RV just as a precaution to avoid not just theft - but damage to the RV in the attempt of it.

Far more damage was made to the coaches than the value of the items stolen, they broke in the doors, and ripped apart the interiors to rob the items

Old 11-15-2014, 05:43 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, but they have to break in to see what's inside to begin with so I don't see how pulling the TV's/valuables is really a preventative step. Opinion. I always say, if something bad ever happens I'm just going to set fire to it and then call my insurance agent. Be advised, that is a joke. Don't anybody start ranting about insurance fraud.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
One of the benefits of living where there isn't a lot of people. I have my 5th wheel parked in the middle of no where.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greywolf
MASSIVE damage was caused by break-ins, and the flatscreens were stolen from the RV's

This is precisely the reason I spent $$ to make a place to park the camper at home. The place where we were storing it refused to answer questions about break ins. I knew there had been some and the fact that they were hiding it was enough to leave.

Now if someone wants to break into the camper in a neighborhood that strongly believes in the 2nd Amendment, and has 6 RVs parked on site, well, good luck!

Old 11-15-2014, 08:11 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chalkie
This is precisely the reason I spent $$ to make a place to park the camper at home. The place where we were storing it refused to answer questions about break ins. I knew there had been some and the fact that they were hiding it was enough to leave.

Now if someone wants to break into the camper in a neighborhood that strongly believes in the 2nd Amendment, and has 6 RVs parked on site, well, good luck!
Are you another one of those nut jobs that feels its acceptable to protect personal property with lethal means?? ............... Good, me too!

Old 11-17-2014, 10:04 AM
mudfuel06
Elder User
I have never taken the TV out except when we sell the trailer, unless it came with it. But, our trailer stays in our backyard when not in use, so not that worried about someone walking away with it and we leave the doors unlocked just in case.