6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Twin Turbo Build!

Old 11-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Strokin_power
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Turbo Build!

Hey all,

My quest for more POWER has finally come to fruition... I've been contemplating a supercharger for some time now but the only possible option was Whipple and, to be honest, I'm a turbo guy at heart... That coupled with the fact that the Whipple hadn't been truly proven on a 250 platform and there was only apparently one shop that had a tune... right... I wasn't overly keen on this option so held off.

Queue the folks at Underpressure Power & Performance (UPP) in Colorado. CK (the owner) and his crew specialize in Turbo applications and, most recently, have been working on a kit for the Raptor. I was keen on ascertaining opportunity for install on my truck (2013 F250) so inquired - CK expressed an interest and requested pics of the engine bay to determine if the kit for the raptor would cross pollinate. Everything looking good we decided to proceed.

I did my homework and these guys are the real deal (attention to detail and true craftsmanship) and very good to deal with thus far. Example - I'm up in BC (Canada) and needed to get my truck to CO somehow... CK actually flew out West to pick it up; talk about working with the customer!

Fast forward and my trucks at the shop now with the build starting soon.

I'll try and update this thread but encourage people to check out the UPP Facebook page here as CK will try to keep it updated with progress.

Also shoot me a PM with any questions and I'll try to answer or steer you in the right direction...

FYI, this is what we're starting with.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:33 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,694 Likes on 1,313 Posts
I can't wait to see this!

Old 11-12-2014, 06:37 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You have my undivided attention...

Old 11-12-2014, 08:40 PM
jimd1050
Worry later? IT IS LATER!
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wizkid00104
You have my undivided attention...
Ditto!

Old 11-12-2014, 08:58 PM
hpwoee
Senior User
I'm curious as to what the final bill will be.

Other than that good luck man I look forward to seeing the progress and final results

Old 11-13-2014, 06:43 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't WAIT to watch the evolution!

Old 11-13-2014, 08:00 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
Subscribed

Old 11-13-2014, 08:14 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Subscribed

Old 11-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Husky44
Senior User
Haven't understood why there aren't more power-adder options for the 6.2.

Subbing.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:24 PM
BigMix
Senior User
You are my hero. Been wanting to do something like this for a long time.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:33 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,215 Likes on 798 Posts
subscribed

Old 11-14-2014, 07:18 AM
GSSF17
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in...........

Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 AM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm excited as well to see how it goes for you. Please do keep us posted here, as I'm not a facebook guy. Can you give us more details now? Like expected HP/TQ gains, your reasons for turbo not SC, what kind of stress/longevity do you/UPP think it will have on the existing internals? Cooling? How do you/UPP think it will perform in towing say, a 10,000 lb load across country? Maybe a cost estimate? You know, stuff like that.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Strokin_power
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 22rimfire
I'm excited as well to see how it goes for you. Please do keep us posted here, as I'm not a facebook guy.
No problem if you aren't on FB; I'm not either and can access the UPP page with ease. Just follow the link.

Can you give us more details now? Like expected HP/TQ gains

With respect to HP/TQ gains - totally depends on what level boost you want to run. Turn it up for more power and down if you want to maintain that 'safe' operating level. In speaking with CK one of the concerns he had with running too much boost through the raptor was the strength of the tranny - the same one as in the F150. That is much less of an issue in the Superduty considering this thing holds the output of the 6.7L. Therefore, I should be able to run slightly higher boost (shorter duration when I want) and not be overly concerned. That said, fuel supply will be an issue at higher boost levels and I don't want to stress the engine internals too much so am not planning on going crazy...

Long winded way of saying I'd expect anywhere from 500 - 600 RWHP. Again, boost dependent and also directly related to your question on stress/longevity.

your reasons for turbo not SC
Turbo over SC - personal preference in a way as I find the power of turbo's to be much more satisfying. There is also all the scientific/physics related mumbo jumbo about efficiency, etc. but won't get into that. Also, as I mentioned in my first post, the Whipple hadn't really been proven on the 250 platform (although I heard it has been done) so the lack of info and real world experience dissuaded me somewhat.

what kind of stress/longevity do you/UPP think it will have on the existing internals? Cooling?
Directly related to boost levels. For cooling, UPP constructed an oversized A to A intercooler - a very nice piece which I will post up during the build.

How do you/UPP think it will perform in towing say, a 10,000 lb load across country?
Towing - I don't see why this wouldn't be an improvement? Fuel consumption is subjective depending on your right foot so can't comment on that aspect.

Maybe a cost estimate? You know, stuff like that.
Price - this is a unique build and don't want to get into pricing details on the internet. If you are truly interested I suggest you contact UPP.

Greatly appreciate all the feedback received - this is going to be a fun build (although I'm completely hands off...) and look forward to sharing it with you folks.

I know a few of you on the forum have been looking for more ways to 'add power' beyond a trivial 5* tune and I also know a couple guys locally that can't wait for me to get this thing home so they can decide on power adder direction.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:52 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
When do you expect to have the rig back?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Twin Turbo Build!