Sponsored by: DP Tuner

anti-gelling fuel additives

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:05 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anti-gelling fuel additives

I'm a few days late in posting this but I hope for some it is better late then never.

Keep in mind when using an anti-gelling additive that it must be in the fuel before the fuel temps reach the cloud point. Which is around 22-25 degrees F. Once the wax crystals have started to attach to each other and the fuel becomes cloudy you can add all the additive you want but you are too late. The anti-gelling additives will do a great job at preventing the wax crystals from combining, but they do not do so well at getting them to break up after combining. Once the process has started it is either a bottle of 911 or a heated garage.

after the fuel clouds without additive - keep a bottle of 911 close and add it in at the first sign of a power loss.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...schaeffer.html

Old 11-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To add to this already great advice.....

Follow the directions on the bottle to the letter. Never add too much anti-gel to your fuel. This is the case of less is best if you are ever unsure.

Fuel with too much anti-gel can cause a buildup that will clog filters in a very short amount of time, and starve your engine of fuel. The problem is, unlike waiting for things to thaw and you're back to normal with gelled fuel, overuse of anti-gel can require a complete tank drain and filter changes to remedy.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My diesel & I are about to face our first winter together.
Isn't an additive added to winter blend fuel?
Prob general knowledge to most here, but remember I just moved up north from Florida.
I don't want any surprises & I don't have a heated garage.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Stinky has had no issues down to 5 degrees with our winter blend fuel, with Motorcraft fuel additive. I bought a jug of white Diesel Kleen to play it safe.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:22 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Franko72
My diesel & I are about to face our first winter together.
Isn't an additive added to winter blend fuel?
Prob general knowledge to most here, but remember I just moved up north from Florida.
I don't want any surprises & I don't have a heated garage.
Frank,

It really comes down to the temps you expect compared to the average temps for your area. Here is the problem/situation in the USA. we don't have a very specific guideline on what specific cold flow temp the fuel needs to meet. Instead we go off of an average.

"The ASTM D 975 standard does not specify the cold flow requirements of diesel fuel. Instead, it suggests that the cloud point be no more than 6°C higher than the 10th percentile minimum ambient temperature for the month the fuel will be used. The 10th percentile temperature corresponds to the minimum temperature that would be reached no more than 3 days out of 30 for the month"

Confusing - heck yeah.

So, the fuel you receive at your local station is winterized/aka - a winter blend. Either by adding #1 or by additives. Bottom line - You are safe at the pump if the temps are at or above the average temps. So, if the local news says the temps next week will be 20 degrees below normal, then you need to take extra precautions since the fuel was formulated for something closer to the average temps.

1. It's always good to carry a bottle of "911" around. If you are on the road and start to experience a power loss from gelling, dump it in there quick since you won't get a second chance.

2. If the forecasted temps are going to be way below normal. add an additive or some #1 Diesel fuel and fill the tank before the cold temps hit and park her in the garage if you can.

check out some of the pics in this thread.......

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...schaeffer.html

Old 11-11-2014, 11:45 PM
puller45
Senior User
I live in the foothills of the Cascades and I'm pretty sure that winter blended fuel is safe most of the time. I have had jelling issues when the temp gets down near zero. Since I don't fuel up every day I can't be sure I'm safe all the time, so starting now and continuing until around March 1st, I add anti jell. Just common sense, I think.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:38 AM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
I use power service DK (white bottle) 16oz per 40 gallons if above zero degrees. Might make a trip back to the folks and it's -15 so I need to double up on the additive.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by puller45
I live in the foothills of the Cascades and I'm pretty sure that winter blended fuel is safe most of the time....
You sound very close by.

White Buffalo:

"You are safe at the pump if the temps are at or above the average temps. So, if the local news says the temps next week will be 20 degrees below normal, then you need to take extra precautions since the fuel was formulated for something closer to the average temps."

That one solved the mystery for me. I haven't had any issues in the winter - not even with starts on very cold days (unplugged). I've read many posts about problems with fuel, but I refuel so often that I almost never have a fill-up far from an accurate forecast. It's also possible the local fuel companies are a bit more aggressive with the mix, for fellow fuelers who fill less frequently. From this, I'd say I've been lucky so far - so the white bottle sounds like a reasonable precaution.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:02 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
Just to throw some data out there - we had a brutal stretch of cold early last winter. Highs in the negative single digits, lows dipping down to the -20's F. It lasted over a week, and I don't have a garage. Before the cold hit, I looked at the specs on the diesel pumps at the station. I went with a 50/50 mix of #1/#2. I kept the block heater plugged in most of the time the truck was at home. I never had an issue. It's good to note that some stations add some extra anti-gel to their winter mix, so your results may vary.

PS - it's -16F here right now. Rich (WhiteB) - what temps are you seeing?

Last edited by montanasteve; 11-12-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 11-12-2014, 10:26 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
It was 8 F this morning when I woke up. About 20 degrees colder than what we normally see this time of year. The positive thing is, we can use the table on the deck to store our leftovers on........ I just wish the darn wind would subside.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:04 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
So, just went outside at -16F, truck plugged in all night, straight #2 in the tank. Started up and drove to the office, no issues. I was a bit worried about the straight #2, but it was fine.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:33 AM
bike_guy123
Senior User
I have never had any fuel related issues due to the cold temps other than ones I create myself by trying to run WVO when it's too cold....

I keep it plugged in both at work and at home....even if I am able to park in the garage....it just starts better, and you get heat a little faster.

Like most, I keep a bottle of Diesel Kleen behind the seat, but winterized diesel fuel has never been an issue.....and it gets pretty darn cold on the plains of MN.

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:13 PM
puller45
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
You sound very close by.

White Buffalo:

"You are safe at the pump if the temps are at or above the average temps. So, if the local news says the temps next week will be 20 degrees below normal, then you need to take extra precautions since the fuel was formulated for something closer to the average temps."

That one solved the mystery for me. I haven't had any issues in the winter - not even with starts on very cold days (unplugged). I've read many posts about problems with fuel, but I refuel so often that I almost never have a fill-up far from an accurate forecast. It's also possible the local fuel companies are a bit more aggressive with the mix, for fellow fuelers who fill less frequently. From this, I'd say I've been lucky so far - so the white bottle sounds like a reasonable precaution.

You are just over Blewett Pass from me Tug, we almost met once when I was asking for you to do an AE look for me. We just never got together. It will happen someday.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I remember that - Cle Elum. I cruise through there about once a month.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Crazyotto1
Senior User
I have a couple of questions related to this thread.
1. I see a lot of people are plugging thier trucks in and leaving them plugged in over night, is that ok to do? Is the block heater running the whole time it is plugged in or is there a temp sensor that turns it on and off to maintain propper tempature?
2. I never really know when I'm going to use the truck so I can go a month or 2 with out filling the tank. is there an addative I should be putting in the fuel to help keep the fuel system in good standing?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: anti-gelling fuel additives