1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Oil filter adapter seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 05:35 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil filter adapter seal

Just changed it on the wifes 03 Nav. Not a horrible job but a bit of a PITA if you have big hands. Front dif makes things a little tight. 1/2 universal with some extension and you can get to that back bolt. I removed the catch tray they have under the filter to create another hole I could wiggle a had into. After draining Oil and coolant. Just remove the electrical connector, lower Radiator hose, and four bolts. I cleaned the surfaces good and reversed everything from there. Hopefully that takes care of the problems.
Glad to answer some questions if there is any. I know I have got a lot of help from here and the 7.3 forums.
thanks guys

Old 11-09-2014, 08:29 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by caverjoe
Glad to answer some questions if there is any.
Did you happen to take pictures that you can post of the procedure as you progressed?

Old 11-10-2014, 09:56 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by alloro
Did you happen to take pictures that you can post of the procedure as you progressed?
My bad I did not. I am always forgetting that part. It is pretty self explanatory though. I found a read somewhere that went step by step but not much to it.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:15 AM
UtilityCow
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just changed it on the wifes 03 Nav. Not a horrible job but a bit of a PITA if you have big hands. Front dif makes things a little tight. 1/2 universal with some extension and you can get to that back bolt. I removed the catch tray they have under the filter to create another hole I could wiggle a had into. After draining Oil and coolant. Just remove the electrical connector, lower Radiator hose, and four bolts. I cleaned the surfaces good and reversed everything from there. Hopefully that takes care of the problems.
Glad to answer some questions if there is any. I know I have got a lot of help from here and the 7.3 forums.
thanks guys
Which seal is it that goes bad? I can't find a write up anywhere. I've found a seal between the adapter and block that I'm guessing is the culprit. Funny shaped with three holes in it. Just purchased an 00 expy and haven't cleaned the mess away to see what's leaking. Want to pick up parts to fix at next oil change.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:36 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by UtilityCow
Which seal is it that goes bad? I can't find a write up anywhere. I've found a seal between the adapter and block that I'm guessing is the culprit. Funny shaped with three holes in it. Just purchased an 00 expy and haven't cleaned the mess away to see what's leaking. Want to pick up parts to fix at next oil change.
yep that is the one I changed I havent really looked yet but have not noticed any oil dripping since. Other than the tight quarters it is a fairly easy job. Smaller hands would be much better.
If you cant find a decent deal on the seal let me know. When I was getting ready to change mine I could not find the one that I had bought for it months ago off the net and had to go buy one in town. So I have a brand new one in the sealed package. I dont remember what the cost but if it is too much I am sure we can work something out.
Not sure if it has a drip tray on the Expy but it helped a lot to remove it from the Nav. I just left it off. I will try to find that read and post a link for ya. Let me know if you have anything I might be able to help with.
OUT

Old 11-28-2014, 11:47 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
yep that is the one I changed I havent really looked yet but have not noticed any oil dripping since. Other than the tight quarters it is a fairly easy job. Smaller hands would be much better.
If you cant find a decent deal on the seal let me know. When I was getting ready to change mine I could not find the one that I had bought for it months ago off the net and had to go buy one in town. So I have a brand new one in the sealed package. I dont remember what the cost but if it is too much I am sure we can work something out.
Not sure if it has a drip tray on the Expy but it helped a lot to remove it from the Nav. I just left it off. I will try to find that read and post a link for ya. Let me know if you have anything I might be able to help with.
OUT
OK here you go msw244 explains the process very well I still need to give him some props.
02 Navigator Oil Filter Adapter Leak - HELP! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Only thing I disagree on is which bolt he says is the hardest to get to. The back one is by far the hardest for me. The only thing I can think of is that he might have had a two wheel drive. That front diff makes things pretty tight.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:35 PM
UtilityCow
Freshman User
OK here you go msw244 explains the process very well I still need to give him some props.
02 Navigator Oil Filter Adapter Leak - HELP! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Only thing I disagree on is which bolt he says is the hardest to get to. The back one is by far the hardest for me. The only thing I can think of is that he might have had a two wheel drive. That front diff makes things pretty tight.
Mine's 2WD so the process seems easier. I'll remove the wheel and inner fender. I do not have small hands, but I have extensions and knuckles. I don't know if the parts are different between SOHC and DOHC. I'll take it off your hands if you can't return it.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:20 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by UtilityCow
Mine's 2WD so the process seems easier. I'll remove the wheel and inner fender. I do not have small hands, but I have extensions and knuckles. I don't know if the parts are different between SOHC and DOHC. I'll take it off your hands if you can't return it.
I wouldnt know either. They are not even $20 I dont think so probably better make sure you get the right one.
The one I have is a Victor Reinz B31584
If yours is 2WD I would imagine it would be a lot easier to get to that back bolt. I did not remove wheel or inner fender
Let me know how it goes. I am off to find the thread about running board motor Maintenance/repair.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:57 AM
UtilityCow
Freshman User
Same part number. $11.29 at the local part store.