Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a '95 F150

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 PM
BiggieCheez
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a '95 F150

I just got my license and I am looking for a good truck that I can do some work with. I found this 1995 F150 XL 4x4 with a 4.9l I6 with a 5 speed manual for sale near me, it's actually right down the block from me, for $1800. I test drove it today and I was very surprised at how well the car handled for being that old. I did not test drive it that much since the seller had to leave early, so he said he would call me on Saturday to go finalize the sale if I wanted to. There were some problems that I did notice, however, they are not big problems, just problems. 1) There is a slight oil leak (he said about 1QT a month) coming from the oil pan. How difficult is this to fix and could it be a more serious problem then just a gasket? 2) The car shook when I released the clutch in 1st; granted this was my 2nd time driving stick, it just felt uncommon. Should I be worried or is it just my beginner's letting the clutch out too fast? 3) He hasn't used the 4x4 since last winter and when I shifted into 4x4 it got stuck in 4HI. This made it hard to go around turns because of the locking diffs. He called his mechanic and the mechanic said that since he hasn't used it in such a long time, that the transfer case fluid is low and that is what is stopping the shifter from going back into 2HI. He said he will get it fixed by saturday, but is that a serious problem that I have to worry about? Sorry for such a long post, I just want to make sure I am getting a truck that won't blow up on me. Also, if you could tell me if it's a good deal, that would be great. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:40 PM
F-erOnlyRunsDwnhill
Junior User
If those are the only issues you noticed then I would ****** it up. 4.9L is not the fastest but you will not be disappointed in the power and how durable this engine is. I love mine.
The oil pan gasket is no big deal and can be done by just dropping the pan but you will have to fish the gasket under the oil pickup. The 4.9s also like to leak from the very back of the valve cover and rocker arm valley gaskets. Both very easy fixes with just basic tools.

As far as the shudder with the clutch. If you test drive it again do try this on a flat surface. Slowly let out the clutch without giving any gas in first an when you feel it start to grab leave the pedal there. If you feel the clutch kind of grabbing and then letting go then there are uneven spots on that flywheel. If it grabs and slowly moves forward without any shudder then I would assume user error.
As far as it getting stuck in 4 high fluid level mill make no difference, I would check th linkage. If it is the pull back for 4 high then push down for 4lo style then sometimes the linkage can get gummed up. I've had mine plugged up with mud before and have had it either not go it to 4lo or get stuck in 4lo because I couldn't push or pull the shifter.

Even if it needs a new flywheel and clutch or a new transfer case linkage those are pretty easy fixes of you're willing to take them.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:03 PM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
You didn't say how many miles are on the truck, of course this is somewhat relative to how it was used and how it was cared for. As far as taking it out of 4X4, I have found it really helps to be moving and take your foot off the gas pedal(coasting).

Old 11-06-2014, 10:51 PM
BiggieCheez
New User
Originally Posted by 88n94
You didn't say how many miles are on the truck, of course this is somewhat relative to how it was used and how it was cared for. As far as taking it out of 4X4, I have found it really helps to be moving and take your foot off the gas pedal(coasting).
Sorry. There is 197,xxx miles on the truck as of now. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:54 PM
BiggieCheez
New User
Originally Posted by F-erOnlyRunsDwnhill
If those are the only issues you noticed then I would ****** it up. 4.9L is not the fastest but you will not be disappointed in the power and how durable this engine is. I love mine.
The oil pan gasket is no big deal and can be done by just dropping the pan but you will have to fish the gasket under the oil pickup. The 4.9s also like to leak from the very back of the valve cover and rocker arm valley gaskets. Both very easy fixes with just basic tools.

As far as the shudder with the clutch. If you test drive it again do try this on a flat surface. Slowly let out the clutch without giving any gas in first an when you feel it start to grab leave the pedal there. If you feel the clutch kind of grabbing and then letting go then there are uneven spots on that flywheel. If it grabs and slowly moves forward without any shudder then I would assume user error.
As far as it getting stuck in 4 high fluid level mill make no difference, I would check th linkage. If it is the pull back for 4 high then push down for 4lo style then sometimes the linkage can get gummed up. I've had mine plugged up with mud before and have had it either not go it to 4lo or get stuck in 4lo because I couldn't push or pull the shifter.

Even if it needs a new flywheel and clutch or a new transfer case linkage those are pretty easy fixes of you're willing to take them.
Thank's a lot. We tried to put it into 4LO, but maybe I just didn't pull hard enough so it didn't go in. When I go on Saturday and if the problem is not fixed, then I will try that. There is also one more problem I forgot to mention. The radiator fan sometimes hits the plastic shroud around it and makes a clapping noise. Should I just try to move it a little to the right (it's hitting the right top side) by loosening the bolts and moving it, or just sand some of the plastic down?

Old 11-07-2014, 11:02 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
DON'T force the 4x4 shifter! If its the push-down type, you can shatter the aluminum casting rather easily. Wouldn't wanna break it before it was yours.

If it won't shift, it's probably the linkage. Worst case is it needs a transfer case rebuild or replacement, neither of which is expensive or difficult, but it doesn't sound like that's the problem.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:01 PM
97F3505.8
New User
I recently sold a 94 much the same as the one you are looking at it was a great truck. I just got sick and tired of shifting.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:11 PM
F-erOnlyRunsDwnhill
Junior User
Originally Posted by BiggieCheez
Thank's a lot. We tried to put it into 4LO, but maybe I just didn't pull hard enough so it didn't go in. When I go on Saturday and if the problem is not fixed, then I will try that. There is also one more problem I forgot to mention. The radiator fan sometimes hits the plastic shroud around it and makes a clapping noise. Should I just try to move it a little to the right (it's hitting the right top side) by loosening the bolts and moving it, or just sand some of the plastic down?
I would look at the radiator mounts to make sure they aren't broken causing the radiator to lean towards the engine. Also look at the engine and transmission mounts. When mine broke the engine moved forward enough to contact the shroud.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:37 PM
BiggieCheez
New User
Originally Posted by dixie460
DON'T force the 4x4 shifter! If its the push-down type, you can shatter the aluminum casting rather easily. Wouldn't wanna break it before it was yours.

If it won't shift, it's probably the linkage. Worst case is it needs a transfer case rebuild or replacement, neither of which is expensive or difficult, but it doesn't sound like that's the problem.
The linkage was the problem. I tried to put it into 4x4 while moving and it made the linkage move or something. He fixed it and I'm going tomorrow with a mechanic to take a look at it and drive it on the highway. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help guys

Old 11-07-2014, 09:58 PM
F-erOnlyRunsDwnhill
Junior User
Originally Posted by BiggieCheez
The linkage was the problem. I tried to put it into 4x4 while moving and it made the linkage move or something. He fixed it and I'm going tomorrow with a mechanic to take a look at it and drive it on the highway. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help guys
Keep us posted. My first truck was a 80 f250 with the 4.9L. A perfect first truck in my opinion

Old 11-10-2014, 07:45 AM
BiggieCheez
New User
So I had my friends dad who has worked on cars his entire life come and take a look at it and he said it needs a new set of shock towers in the front($53 each plus install), new suspension (around $300), and a main valve gasket for the oil leak($25 plus install. Do you guys think offering him $1100 for it is too low? The blue book is $1200 for it and he is asking $1800. What do you guys think?

Old 11-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New suspension? Didn't you say it drove around surprisingly well? $1100 may be a low ball offer, but ultimately its only worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

My grandpa has a F150 just like this and it is a true work horse! Good luck!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:52 AM
BiggieCheez
New User
Originally Posted by Bad Bad Leroy Brown
New suspension? Didn't you say it drove around surprisingly well? $1100 may be a low ball offer, but ultimately its only worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

My grandpa has a F150 just like this and it is a true work horse! Good luck!
I didn't drive it that far. Just around the parking lot. If the blue book is $1200, is it really a low ball?

Old 11-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did he just put all new nice tires on, or brakes, or a nice topper, or something that he can justify wanting a little extra money for?

If no, then you are correct in not wanting to pay more than blue book. Was that the "poor" "Good" or "excellent" blue book value?

Old 11-10-2014, 09:38 AM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the price of the parts you mentioned plus the "install" could well exceed the purchase price of the truck. as f-eronly said, the rad support could be rotted out. also, that "oil pan" leak could well be the rear main seal. it's fairly normal for an old vehicle to have a problem or two when the owner decides to sell, but this truck seems to have a giant laundry list of issues indicating total neglect. sounds like a gigantic money pit that might be better suited as a parts truck. there are other trucks out there ... might be a good idea to look around . do you have pics ? what sort of work do you want to do with the truck ?

Quick Reply: Buying a '95 F150