6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

6.2 Gas Towing New 5th Wheel - Report

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Cylesdale
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.2 Gas Towing New 5th Wheel - Report

Report of our New Purchase being towed by 2012 F350 6.2 gas 4x4 super cab long bed w/4.30 rear. Specifications: Ford brochure can tow 15,000 lb 5th wheel, at 22,000 combined gross vehicle weight rating. Truck n trailer.
We live in St.Louis and the 5th wheel we purchased was in Elk River, Mn. Left on a Sunday and went to Rv dealership Monday Morning. Averaged 14.3 on the way up. Hitch and stuff to camp 628 lbs in bed. Monday took deliver of our 5th Wheel and headed back camping a few nights along the way. Truck only squatted about an inch and just sat on the booster spring. Cruised at 60-65, 5th and 6th gear mostly, 4th on the hills at 3500 rpms. Coming through Kansas city on the hills I was waiting for the kick to 3rd gear but never happened. Stayed in 4th again at 3500 rpms. Virtually No sway. A little tug when semi's went by with air mass between nose and cab. Total trip from St. Louis to Minnesota and back extended to southern Missouri and back home 1180 miles. Average on Mpgs =10. Haven't been to the scales yet but I did a Truck and Trailer work sheet from Rv 101. Truck Gvw = 10189(Truck Cw=7100 + People + cargo + Hitch + Hw(Pin)20%). + Est Trailer =10100(1/3 tank fresh water, propane, battery, options and stuff, food. gave me Gcw of 20289 rolling down the highway. Really glad I got the F350 super duty. The total platform of the truck(braking etc....) Is well worth the safety factor. The Gvwr on the 5th wheel is 11769. The trailer is 34' long plus bike rack on rear 37'. Big enough for us. Again, truck performed great and we felt secure when traveling. Engine braking works great too. Never used cruise and didn't take much of my foot to stay steady at 60-65. Perception point of 1-3 seconds is what I was looking for is the reason I didn't use cruise. Truckers coming on the highway and no place to move over can be a fast decision to make and not having to think about taking off cruise. Went out camping again recently to Rend lake, Il and was great camping and nice trip, again I'll say averaging 10 mpg. I myself like to have a buffer on the Gcwr of truck and trailer and I do believe we have sustained this. I will no more of a true setting once I pull on the cat scales which is a plan to do so. I think if the Gvwr on the trailer was over 12,000 I would of either looked for another trailer or would be considering a diesel truck. We plan on doing local camping for the next couple of years but then do some northern states. That being said I think we are fine on truck and trailer ratio. Again, I think the platform of the truck and the gearing really made a difference. Open for comments and suggestions and hope this helps others who pull with the 6.2. No complaints.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:03 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Thanks for the post.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:45 AM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
Thanks for the report, I'm sure the combination will give you years of enjoyment.

Don't be afraid to use the CC when towing your new toy, I set it on interstates and some 2 lane and it and it will shift between 6th, 5th and 4th and stays engaged. Some times it will shift into 3rd but that's when I go back to foot control but it sure gives it a kick in the pants when it goes into 3rd. Have to love the 4.30 gears.

Denny

Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Cylesdale
Junior User

tail swing is a big thing on a long rig when getting in gas stations

Thanks gents,
Recently learned about winterizing etc... Seems just like a process to go through. Hopefully no problems. Really still on cloud nine with the truck n trailer and really glad went with the ease of 5th wheel hookup. I will report back in the spring after I take it through the cat scales and then really get a good reading. Coming back through Illinois I didn't want to stop for High $ gas and just after making it in Missouri the gas gauge dinged with the lil gas pump icon. 27 miles to go, so at least I know when it is going to ding. Not quite 3 gallons left at 10 mpg., 35 gal tank on a long bed. Probably won't do that again, with unpredictable traffic and Have to realize I won't fit in every gas station(height wise), another learning process.
Thanks, Take care and Enjoy.
Leo

Old 12-03-2014, 07:06 AM
snowmanfx4
New User
I have a 2012 F250 with the 6.2 I pull a 28 foot travel trailer bumper hitch. Can't even drive in 6 gear even on the flat road. Only getting 7 mpg on a good day.

Like to know if there is any thing to help this truck. With out getting a new one.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2014, 07:52 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by snowmanfx4
I have a 2012 F250 with the 6.2 I pull a 28 foot travel trailer bumper hitch. Can't even drive in 6 gear even on the flat road. Only getting 7 mpg on a good day.

Like to know if there is any thing to help this truck. With out getting a new one.

Thanks
I'm guessing that you have 3.73 gears, if so just lock out 6th when pulling your trailer. I'm pulling a 16K 5th wheel with 4.30 gears and I can pull in 6th gear on flat ground and average 8 to 9 mpg.

Denny

Old 12-03-2014, 08:20 AM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the report Cylesdale, good to know you're happy with it, and yes, the 4:30's are the way to go. Wish I had em. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:40 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by Cylesdale

tail swing is a big thing on a long rig when getting in gas stations

Thanks gents,
Recently learned about winterizing etc... Seems just like a process to go through. Hopefully no problems. Really still on cloud nine with the truck n trailer and really glad went with the ease of 5th wheel hookup. I will report back in the spring after I take it through the cat scales and then really get a good reading. Coming back through Illinois I didn't want to stop for High $ gas and just after making it in Missouri the gas gauge dinged with the lil gas pump icon. 27 miles to go, so at least I know when it is going to ding. Not quite 3 gallons left at 10 mpg., 35 gal tank on a long bed. Probably won't do that again, with unpredictable traffic and Have to realize I won't fit in every gas station(height wise), another learning process.
Thanks, Take care and Enjoy.
Leo
Your learning and I'm glade you know about tail swing because it can cause a lot of damage, it's something that always has to be in the back of your mind.

I'm running a 45 gal usable aux tank to extend our range, we did the same thing in Sep and filled in Missouri and skipped Illinois high fuel prices. I use a fuel price app on my tablet to plan our fuel stops.

Denny

Old 12-11-2014, 09:34 PM
Cylesdale
Junior User
Thanks. A question for Rvpuller about the 45 gal aux gas tank. Just wondering if this is the same one I saw at the Northern Tools store the other day. Does yours have a gas pump handle on it? Wondering how this is used and hooked up?. Seems like a good idea especially when headed North. I would be interested in this also.
Thank you

thanks for the replys and good luck to everyone towing.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:54 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by Cylesdale
Thanks. A question for Rvpuller about the 45 gal aux gas tank. Just wondering if this is the same one I saw at the Northern Tools store the other day. Does yours have a gas pump handle on it? Wondering how this is used and hooked up?. Seems like a good idea especially when headed North. I would be interested in this also.
Thank you

thanks for the replys and good luck to everyone towing.
Here is a link to my install https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...k-install.html

The only thing I had to change was the vent setup, I had to cap the vent line going into the filler neck and install a filter on the end of the vent hose going into the tank because whenever the aux tank was empty and the main tank got below have it would set off the fuel door open light. There was just to much volume between the to tanks for the test to work, the tank has a rollover valve in the vent line so it's not a problem and the only time the fuel system is sealed is when the valve closes at the canister so a vacuum can be pulled on the system.

Denny

Old 12-12-2014, 11:27 AM
GoCamping
Elder User
Nice report! Thanks for posting ... always good to hear how those towing heavy are getting along with the 6.2.

I agree about the tailswing. Getting into some stations, I go wider than I think and that ends up being just about right...

Old 12-13-2014, 08:47 PM
Kafn8td
Junior User
Originally Posted by snowmanfx4

Thanks
I pull a bumper hitch 30' toy hauler, 6.2 3.73 gears and it has no issues at 65 -70 mph with the cruise set in 6th. I get 10.5 - 11.5 towing.

trailer weighs about 8k.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:15 AM
LCT
Junior User
I cannot get anything better than 8.5 mpg pulling my 9G lb rig at 65 mph. I am envious of some of you guys. (4:30 gears).

Old 12-20-2014, 06:47 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by LCT
I cannot get anything better than 8.5 mpg pulling my 9G lb rig at 65 mph. I am envious of some of you guys. (4:30 gears).
I don't know where you are but just like my V10 my milage drops when I'm on the east coast, last winter between Tucson AZ and Engram TX my 6.2 made 9.2 last month going from the Eastern Shore of Virgina and Lakeport FL (Lake Okeechobee) 8.3.

I also found that Sunoco fuel has to be the worst crap around, when i used it up in Virgina my empty mileage dropped and I used it again bown here in FL same thing, 14.5 running around empty down to 13.5 on the same roads.

Denny

Old 12-20-2014, 08:08 AM
LCT
Junior User
Southwest FL and I only use Mobil

Quick Reply: 6.2 Gas Towing New 5th Wheel - Report