1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

AC Bracket for a 1967 F100 300 engine underdash unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 10:45 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
dont think i have seen one just like that before, it looks to be a aftermarket kit of some kind.. have not seen a york used on anything by ford that new.. it is interesting looking

Old 12-22-2016, 12:02 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
I had to 'Frankenstein' my A/C install, with parts from Ebay, Napa, Azone, and a local parts house in the little town I live in, in Baja. After advice from a number of way more experienced mechanics than I am, I went with a Sanden compressor, which uses the old R-12 Freon, still available all over Mexico. I fabricated the mount for the Sanden, and mated it to the cast style Ford Six bracket, used on the late 70's and early 80's, before the stamped sheet metal ones appeared. Having a welder, a pile of scrap steel, and an old lathe, made it possible. I chose the 'Canned Ham' style pump, used by Ford on the Econoline vans. They seem to have a much better reputation, and so far, 1 year without trouble. I had the hoses made up at a shop that does that, and discovered that my under dash, after market, dealer installed style, unit, must have been for an automatic tranny, as it took some mods to the stick for my NP435 . Note, they are not easy to bend...

Baja

Old 12-22-2016, 02:43 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a better photo:

I believe that Ford offered a York set up. I would imagine that a Sanden style compressor could be attached to the bracket.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
I like the way the bracket mounts to the timing chain cover and the power steering bracket slips in between. Definitely well engineered.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:19 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
It is one of the Ford dealer Installed kit. I see the tag on it says "Motorcraft" so it is Ford not aftermarket. But the compressor has the clamp on hose style fittings so it is not a factory style set up. The factory set up would have had hoses with built on fittings. Now 1982/84 was a nightmare looking up A/C stuff. Most things were cataloged by Ford wrong. They were in the process of switching away from the York compressors to HR980, FS6,etc. And from the ol' drier style system to the accumulators. They had so many different possibilities that they even confused themselves.
So I am thinking the above compressor brackets were only sold in the "mount and drive" kit part number E4TZ19B969C. You mentioned 1984. And I see it is on a 300 I6. The application for E4TZ19B969C is:
1984...F series...300....Dealer installed A/C.........without compressor model HR980. Discontinued long, long ago. None on my locators.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:40 AM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
It is one of the Ford dealer Installed kit. I see the tag on it says "Motorcraft" so it is Ford not aftermarket. But the compressor has the clamp on hose style fittings so it is not a factory style set up. The factory set up would have had hoses with built on fittings. Now 1982/84 was a nightmare looking up A/C stuff. Most things were cataloged by Ford wrong. They were in the process of switching away from the York compressors to HR980, FS6,etc. And from the ol' drier style system to the accumulators. They had so many different possibilities that they even confused themselves.
So I am thinking the above compressor brackets were only sold in the "mount and drive" kit part number E4TZ19B969C. You mentioned 1984. And I see it is on a 300 I6. The application for E4TZ19B969C is:
1984...F series...300....Dealer installed A/C.........without compressor model HR980. Discontinued long, long ago. None on my locators.
I appreciate the information. I have never seen one before. The other thing that is nice about is that it is compact and not as bulky as the early to mid 80's brackets that were used.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Sam's1967
Elder User

I recently found a Bendix steering box in good condition and I am going to attempt to install it. Given my a/c bracket configuration, I am not going to be able to use it with the power steering pump bracket. So, I have decided to remove the a/c bracket (after all of that heartache and finally getting it to work) and will be switching it out for an early to mid 80's stamped steel bracket. My question is, if I am not able to run one belt around the a/c and power steering pulley, is there anything wrong with running separate belts from the crankshaft to the a/c and one from the crankshaft to the power steering pulley? Remember that I had squealing when I tried to run the belt around the water pump pulley.

Also, does anyone know if you can bolt a generic Sanden compressor like mine to the stamped steel brackets that are prevalent on the early to mid 80's Broncos, Econolines and F15o trucks?

I am going to be using a pencil-neck Thompson pump that I sourced at the same time I grabbed the Bendix box. It mounts nicely to the power steering bracket (same as the one that UltraRanger uses).

Old 02-24-2017, 09:11 AM
Sam's1967
Elder User
I recently found a Bendix steering box in good condition and I am going to attempt to install it. Given my a/c bracket configuration, I am not going to be able to use it with the power steering pump bracket. So, I have decided to remove the a/c bracket (after all of that heartache and finally getting it to work) and will be switching it out for an early to mid 80's stamped steel bracket. My question is, if I am not able to run one belt around the a/c and power steering pulley, is there anything wrong with running separate belts from the crankshaft to the a/c and one from the crankshaft to the power steering pulley? Remember that I had squealing when I tried to run the belt around the water pump pulley.

Also, does anyone know if you can bolt a generic Sanden compressor like mine to the stamped steel brackets that are prevalent on the early to mid 80's Broncos, Econolines and F15o trucks?

I am going to be using a pencil-neck Thompson pump that I sourced at the same time I grabbed the Bendix box. It mounts nicely to the power steering bracket (same as the one that UltraRanger uses).[/QUOTE]

Anyone with any insight?

Old 02-24-2017, 07:09 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Well, I mocked it up and the Sanden style compressor is really not a good fit. The mounting ears are rather small. I need them to extend a bit more. I may have to go back to the JY to locate another compressor or buy a refurb one. Another issue is I have some clearance issues with the hood (I think the hose is simply hitting the hood) that will need to be addressed.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:14 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
The A/C compressor bracket you are looking for, to mount the style of compressor you are wanting, looks like this. (Bracket is 2882 in the diagram below)

You'll need to find an '80-'86 Ford pickup with a 300 to get the brackets from. I pulled this bracket from an '82 model. --The factory A/C compressor I have on a 1990 Mustang 5.0L GT fuel injected engine has the same bolt pattern that matches the holes on the top mount of the 300's A/C bracket.

Do you know if the compressor mounting brackets are the same for the stamped steel bracket that I am going to be using? Also, do you know if any other compressors will work besides the 90' Mustang? I plan on going to the JY tomorrow morning.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:11 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam's1967
Do you know if the compressor mounting brackets are the same for the stamped steel bracket that I am going to be using? Also, do you know if any other compressors will work besides the 90' Mustang? I plan on going to the JY tomorrow morning.
If you're talking about installing a more modern Ford FS6 A/C compressor to the brackets you have pictured in post 243, you might could mount it to those brackets but, I can't see that it would in any way be a direct installation. The FS6 compressors was used across many Ford vehicle lines.

--that appears to be a much older style compressor/bracket arrangement for the 300 in that Bullnose in the photo. Judging by the E-coil/bracket mounted to the fuel pump studs and the TFI distributor, I'd say that was in an '84-'86 model truck.

The best bet would be to get the style brackets for the style A/C compressor you're wanting to use.

Other compact styles of Ford A/C compressors are FS10 and FX15. I'm not certain of their mounting hole dimensions but, you could check them out as to their configuration and you might find some spec information online for them.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:18 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
One other question in addition to the Mustang compressor question in post 250... Would I be able to replace the pulley on the Mustang compressor pulley to a V Belt pulley? If not mistaken, the Mustang compressor has a serpentine pulley.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:34 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
If you're talking about installing a more modern Ford FS6 A/C compressor to the brackets you have pictured in post 243, you might could mount it to those brackets but, I can't see that it would in any way be a direct installation. The FS6 compressors was used across many Ford vehicle lines.

--that appears to be a much older style compressor/bracket arrangement for the 300 in that Bullnose in the photo. Judging by the E-coil/bracket mounted to the fuel pump studs and the TFI distributor, I'd say that was in an '84-'86 model truck.

The best bet would be to get the style brackets for the style A/C compressor you're wanting to use.

Other compact styles of Ford A/C compressors are FS10 and FX15. I'm not certain of their mounting hole dimensions but, you could check them out as to their configuration and you might find some spec information online for them.
Nope, not the York Style bracket. Rather, the steel one that is more common. Here's a picture of it on my truck. However, my Sanden style compressor is not bolting nicely to it. One other question in addition to the Mustang compressor question. Would I be able to replace the pulley on the Mustang compressor pulley to a V Belt pulley? If not mistaken, the Mustang compressor has a serpentine pulley. Here's a picture of the brackets (both a/c and ps pump) mocked up on my truck:

Old 02-26-2017, 09:29 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
It is a little hard to se but why are you saying that bracket assy. does not hold the Sanden nicely?

It looks like you have all the right brackets. The main one to the side of the block with 4 bolts. Then you have 2 triangle parts that bolt to the main bracket with 2 nuts/bolts and 1 up to the compressor. Then the adjusting arm, I forget where it bolts to on the motor side and want to say there maybe one on the back side to support it.

If you can find all the brackets for the York compressor (80-late 81 when they switched to the Sanden compressor) but want to run the Sanden you can find an adaptor on Ebay that will let you bolt the Sanden to the York mount.

Over in the 80-88 Bull nose area we have talked about this if want some more information.

I am looking for AC compressor brackets myself, either style at this point. My early 81 used a York but will change to Sanden.
Dave ----

Old 02-26-2017, 09:43 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The Sanden compressor is an aftermarket unit, not stock.

1982-earlier A/C brackets for an FS6 compressor (cast iron 'main' bracket).

'83-'86 (stamped steel) A/C brackets for an FS6 compressor.

Quick Reply: AC Bracket for a 1967 F100 300 engine underdash unit