1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lead Substitiue and Zinc Additive

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Rankney
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lead Substitiue and Zinc Additive

I have a 1951 Ford F-1 and have been trying to find the best lead substitute and zinc oil additive for the truck. I have been unable to find any reviews on brands or what to use. Any help would be awesome.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:31 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
You don't need either of them. There is no "real" lead substitute, and adding ZDDP to a modern oil just upsets the additive package already in there. Lead was bad for engines anyway.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:13 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
I don't know about adding zinc but I agree with Ross about the lead. Experts say unless you are racing your vehicle or pulling heavy loads everyday like a work truck you don't need lead added.

By the way, welcome to FTE. You found the best forum for old Ford trucks. And you must show us pictures of your truck.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:55 PM
dbran451
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any good quality diesel oil such as shell rotella will work fine if your really worried about it get your self some Brad Penn racing oil

Old 11-04-2014, 05:56 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Zinc levels were reduced in diesel about 4 years ago.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:05 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
I don't know about adding zinc but I agree with Ross about the lead. Experts say unless you are racing your vehicle or pulling heavy loads everyday like a work truck you don't need lead added.

By the way, welcome to FTE. You found the best forum for old Ford trucks. And you must show us pictures of your truck.
What experts are saying this? I'm not doubting you, and I know you're fine just driving around town without lead, but my dad was taught in tech school that without the lead with the old style valve seats, the valve seats don't get lubricated, and when they don't get lubricated, they pound them out.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:16 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the day they didn't have the science and technology we have today. A simple thing like oil has come a long way since then. I guess I plan on using Rotella in my 226.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
was zinc reduced enough that it doesn't justify using RotellaT? I have used in last 2 oil changes...but if it doesn't make a difference I will gladly go back to GTX

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Zinc levels were reduced in diesel about 4 years ago.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:38 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
It varies all over the map by brand, as far as diesel oil, and by the viscosity range. There are articles on the web to help you choose. It also varies by the "C-number", I believe CJ is the newest spec. You can get earlier-spec diesel oils at NAPA and fleet supply if you really want ZDDP. Your '60 is an OHV engine that has much higher valve spring pressure than a flathead, so it may be more of an issue. But the non-ZDDP formulations have other chemicals to do the same thing without fouling cat converters or flatten cams.

Diesel-spec oil has some other features, like additives to suspend particulates, that are a benefit on older engines. The biggest thing is they seem to be cheaper by a significant amount.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks Ross

Old 11-04-2014, 08:09 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by fladoodle
What experts are saying this? I'm not doubting you, and I know you're fine just driving around town without lead, but my dad was taught in tech school that without the lead with the old style valve seats, the valve seats don't get lubricated, and when they don't get lubricated, they pound them out.
Years ago I was putting lead substitute in my truck. Then after I found FTE in 1998 there was a discussion about if we need lead substitute if our trucks don't have hardened seats. General consensus was we don't need it. There were also some studies I read on line back then that supported that belief. So I have not been using lead in my '54 since about 98 or 99.

Maybe more of a concern is an additive to the gas because of the ethanol gas.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:14 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Your '60 is an OHV engine that has much higher valve spring pressure than a flathead, so it may be more of an issue. But the non-ZDDP formulations have other chemicals to do the same thing without fouling cat converters or flatten cams.

Diesel-spec oil has some other features, like additives to suspend particulates, that are a benefit on older engines. The biggest thing is they seem to be cheaper by a significant amount.
So, to be clear, are you saying that there are additives in oil today that will protect the cam from wear in place of the zinc?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:22 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
Years ago I was putting lead substitute in my truck. Then after I found FTE in 1998 there was a discussion about if we need lead substitute if our trucks don't have hardened seats. General consensus was we don't need it. There were also some studies I read on line back then that supported that belief. So I have not been using lead in my '54 since about 98 or 99.

Maybe more of a concern is an additive to the gas because of the ethanol gas.
Now I know the plural of anecdote isn't evidence, but my dad (mechanic) has seen plenty of old engines with really beat up valve seats. Some of them even had the hardened seats. Everything I've read and he's ever read has mentioned valve recession in engines run without lead. I think the biggest thing here is that no one is putting 80k-100k miles on these old engines that they'd ever even see the excess wear. Most of the people here that put on those kind of miles on their trucks usually have modern drivetrains and none of these concerns. The other thing about tetraethyllead is that it raises octane, reducing pinking(sp?) or premature detonations that are really damaging. This is a bigger concern in the higher compression engines, or those with turbos, where this often completely unnoticeable issue can silently rip your engine apart. However, this pales in comparison to the issues with the addition of alcohol in modern gas. Alcohol has been known to lead to the wear of rubber fuel lines and unplanned pregnancies. This is the bigger issue for our old engines, especially when they sit with no additives.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:27 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by abe
So, to be clear, are you saying that there are additives in oil today that will protect the cam from wear in place of the zinc?
Yes, a google search will pull up hundreds of pages on it. Newer oils use phosphorus and other additives in place of ZDDP.

Originally Posted by fladoodle
Now I know the plural of anecdote isn't evidence, but my dad (mechanic) has seen plenty of old engines with really beat up valve seats. Some of them even had the hardened seats. Everything I've read and he's ever read has mentioned valve recession in engines run without lead. I think the biggest thing here is that no one is putting 80k-100k miles on these old engines that they'd ever even see the excess wear. Most of the people here that put on those kind of miles on their trucks usually have modern drivetrains and none of these concerns. The other thing about tetraethyllead is that it raises octane, reducing pinking(sp?) or premature detonations that are really damaging. This is a bigger concern in the higher compression engines, or those with turbos, where this often completely unnoticeable issue can silently rip your engine apart. However, this pales in comparison to the issues with the addition of alcohol in modern gas. Alcohol has been known to lead to the wear of rubber fuel lines and unplanned pregnancies. This is the bigger issue for our old engines, especially when they sit with no additives.
Here's an example of what gasohol can do to non-hardened seats: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ab-owners.html

Lead deposits were corrosive to valve seats, but also provided a cushion. Lead is responsible for the sludge we find in our oil pans, too.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:37 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Yes, a google search will pull up hundreds of pages on it. Newer oils use phosphorus and other additives in place of ZDDP.

Here's an example of what gasohol can do to non-hardened seats: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ab-owners.html

Lead deposits were corrosive to valve seats, but also provided a cushion. Lead is responsible for the sludge we find in our oil pans, too.
Bad deal for you, but can you really blame the valve recession on gasohol or was it the lack of lead? I'm as willing to grab my pitchfork against corn gas as the next guy but valve recession isn't something I've heard specifically blamed on ethanol before. For all of those looking for ethanol free gas, check out pure-gas.org to see if there's anything close to you that stocks it.

Quick Reply: Lead Substitiue and Zinc Additive