old blue's 1956 f100, 04 crown vic power train and suspension - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

old blue's 1956 f100, 04 crown vic power train and suspension

Old 11-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Senior User

old_blue1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
old blue's 1956 f100 **Now with Coyote** 04 crown vic suspension

01/24/18-
I've realized the title of this thread is outdated since I have been through a few changes over the last few years. SOOOO... without further delay, here are my current plans and project as it stands:

1956 F100
Stock frame- boxed in
04 crown vic front suspension
98 explorer (I think a 98) rear end (Unknown gears)
2012 F150 engine with 156,000
3650 5 speed trans from a mustang

Exhaust-I used the headers from a coyote mustang motor as the stock manifolds from the truck were too wide/big. They caused issues with hitting frame, blocking steering and down right ugly. everything else will be custom made with a flowmaster exhaust. Thinking side exit in front of rear tire.

Wiring harness and ECM- plan on buying a stock wiring harness and ecm then having the pats turned off. Will have a tune later.

Rims and tires- Undecided. I do plan on running a 10.5" rear wheel so I will open the bedsides a little.

Rear suspension- Staying with the stock leaf springs for now.

Original post-
I have been lurking around for a few months since I bought my f100. I posted a f n'g thread with photos already but here is a quick reminder. 56 f1 no motor no trans, basic roller. Pretty rust free solid truck. Pretty happy with this thing as it sits but havent gone too far in the tear down department.

Fast forward to last weekend where I bought a 04 crown vic. Why you say? I originally just wanted the front suspension that everyone says is only a few hundred bucks. Well, that must have been many moons ago, as people now know what they are used for and even put that in their ads. Best I could do for a complete front end was $650 and thought that was very high. I started to look around for a complete car and found one for $700. So, for $50 more than the basic front end I got a motor, trans, rear suspension and all the wiring I could ever want. It was even a New Mexico police car so it has the p-72 suspension and no pats stuffs.

I believe my plans are pretty obvious and have gone through them for a while now. I understand that peeps say my wheel choice is limited due to the suspension but there is a huge following for the new mustangs which also has a huge subsequent wheel choice. Plus, the wheels I plan on using are pretty 'flat faced' and will look great. (more on that later)

As far as what I plan to take from the crown aside from running gear, is most the wiring needed to run the motor and abs. I am not taking anything from the interior as I want a more nostalgic look for the insides. I am going to run at least one set of cats as well.

I am not sure if it is the p-71 that has this but the oil filter appears to have a some type of oil cooler that runs from the filter to the radiator. I am going to see how the radiator fits in there and if I can use all the power steering cooler and oil cooler pieces that go along with it.

Also, is there a large market for the old parts pieces from the suspensions on these things. I would hate to toss an original rear end if I don't have too.

Some photos to get everyone by.
Day I brought it home. Very excited

Donor car. Pretty decent shape. Got it to run but still needs a tune up.

Started tearing motor down.

Last edited by old_blue1; 02-07-2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Title change
Old 11-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Posting Guru

toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.toby tough has a good reputation on FTE.
I see a lot of stuff unplugged. Masking tape and a sharpie. Should make for a pretty nice ride once you get it all together. Once you get all your parts pulled you might get 250 for scrap from the shell. More money for the build. Good luck and keep us in the pic's.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Senior User

Thanks for thr advice. I agree with taping and marking it. it is all getting marked but it is hard to mark it then pull it out and around things with out the tape ripping off. That is all preliminary in the pic. It will be well documented by the time the motor is out.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Elder User

Scot is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am running the CV rear-end also. That way the wheels match. This truck drives exponentially better than it ever did with the Gibbons/Cordoba.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Unless you are planning on running the large diameter wheels with rubberband tires, the M's popularity isn't going to help much in the wheel selection.
Cop cars are likely to have steering and oil coolers they spend a lot of time idling.
Curious why you want to use the cat(s)? likely pretty craped up and very expensive to replace.
Try using something more durable than masking tape, not durable not meant for long term adhesion without leaving residue. You may think you'll remember where everything goes now, but it will be a different story months or even years from now (these builds take a lot longer than anyone ever imagines, so be prepared.) when it's all out of the original car. There are guys that will weed down your harness, reflash the ecu fairly reasonably, just don't cut ANYTHING!
Oh, just for clarification: 48-52's were designated F1 F2 F3 etc. in 53 Ford change the model designations to F100, F250, F350 etc. Do you have the ownership paperwork to match the serial # stamped on the frame?
Old 11-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the information. I have done quite a bit of research and this is going to be best bang for buck for me. I cant afford a new heidts front end or narrowed rear with air bags so this is the next best thing for me.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:44 PM
New User

Johns53f100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You will be happy with the CV ifs it's very easy to install. As for tire and wheel there is a large selection to choose from and won't have to run a rubber band tire as stated above.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_blue1 View Post
Thanks for the information. I have done quite a bit of research and this is going to be best bang for buck for me. I cant afford a new heidts front end or narrowed rear with air bags so this is the next best thing for me.
OK, but what does that have to do with why you want to use the catalytic converters unless this isn't in response to my question?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Senior User

ETOWN55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't get discourage. It will work. There are plenty of wheel options. From 17's to 20's. I posted up several 53-56 F100's with this swap on another thread. People are going to say it wont work. Trust me it will work. The crown victoria IFS will work. Use a 35mm offset wheel or bigger offset for the front. There is a Facebook group that is dedicated for this swap. Im going to use the Crown Victoria IFS as well with a explorer rear end.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:11 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
OK, but what does that have to do with why you want to use the catalytic converters unless this isn't in response to my question?
Emissions friendly, not smelling like gasoline when I drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWN55 View Post
Don't get discourage. It will work. There are plenty of wheel options. From 17's to 20's. I posted up several 53-56 F100's with this swap on another thread. People are going to say it wont work. Trust me it will work. The crown victoria IFS will work. Use a 35mm offset wheel or bigger offset for the front. There is a Facebook group that is dedicated for this swap. Im going to use the Crown Victoria IFS as well with a explorer rear end.
Thanks. I plan on running 17's but I am going to keep the CV steelies for now. Aside from the suspension, all I need to take out is the parking brake bracket and pedal as well as all the cabling and the OBDII under the dash. Hope to get it all done the weekend after thanksgiving.

Here are some pics:

Old 11-30-2014, 01:50 AM
Senior User

I started to unbolt the front end and I was surprised on how little there is holding this thing in. 6 bolts to the trailing arms, 4 to the sway bar, 4 large nuts and accompanying bolts for the frame and then the brakes likes and steering shaft. My steering shaft and brake booster were already unbolted from working on the steering column and brake booster. I also got the parking brake pedal and braket out. That was more of a pain than the front end. Moving to the rear end tomorrow. I know I can take a mustang rear out in 1 hour or so but this isnt a mustang.

I also need to remove the gas tank for the salvage yard but that will be pretty easy once I get it on the ramp for the trailer.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Elder User

Marauder2004 has a good reputation on FTE.Marauder2004 has a good reputation on FTE.Marauder2004 has a good reputation on FTE.
The rear should come out very much like the Mustang rear, just a little longer housing. If it's an '03+ it will have the 4 trailing arms.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Postmaster

bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
I am running the CV rear-end also. That way the wheels match. This truck drives exponentially better than it ever did with the Gibbons/Cordoba.
Did you cut all the CV stuff off and bolt it to your leaf springs??
Old 12-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Senior User

Not yet but thats the idea. I just finished getting everything I wanted off of the cv. I took it to the scrap yard yesterday. Front end was pretty easy to get off just one bolt had a little rust on it but still came out with a little effort

Old 12-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Senior User

I am going to buy a set of spring perchs and cut all the cv stuff off of the axle. I was also able to scrap my 90 gt mustang. I hope to at least mock up the front suspension and maybe get a few pieces welded in as well this weekend. Enjoy!