Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Resonator Grater Debator

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
So everybody's vote is hack it off and try another one? Nobody has experience with reversing the unit?

Gaugepro's first video has no whistle in the exhaust, and is very quiet. Here is the whistle I want back (Stinky doesn't smoke like that any more):

Not Steam - YouTube
See I dont mod my truck for "whistle"... I get enough of that crap when driving down the road...

But none the less, I thought the goal was to get rid of drone?

Old 11-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaugepro
See I dont mod my truck for "whistle"... I get enough of that crap when driving down the road...

As you know, there is a big difference between intake whistle and exhaust whistle. I do everything in my power to keep intake whistle at bay - I don't need tinnitus on my long hauls.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:45 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Try as I might, I cannot will myself to not click on Tugly's ridiculous threads. I apologize; not for anything I've ever written, but for not having the willpower to just shut up and pass over anything you've ever written. I will stop now (really, I will). Because this confuses me. You wanted drone gone. Installed resonator. Drone gone and problem solved. Turbo whistle now gone and now people don't stop and stare and notice you. Now you want resonator gone. WTF. Good luck with your whistle and the continual "fixing" of your truck and the overuse of calling it by its nickname.

People have a propensity to encourage someone else who does things not in one's best interest, but because it's entertaining. If any of my friends took note of me doing anything remotely close to this whole stinking epic adventure, they'd do what a real friend should do and intervene. Either I've changed or this forum has changed because when I first came here people would have advised against this shotgun approach to a problem with no definitive conclusion, most of which probably didn't exist until the hood was opened. Using a buckzooka, as you put it, to fix something is really not to be admired IMO.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I don't disagree that buying yet another unit would be a bit over the top. I was asking about reversing it, or some other change with/without the existing hardware.

I'm still on the fence, but nothing's happening until I put some serious time at the wheel with the new system.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
As you know, there is a big difference between intake whistle and exhaust whistle. I do everything in my power to keep intake whistle at bay - I don't need tinnitus on my long hauls.
Maybe thats why your constantly having issues... You dont want to have a good running truck, you want a quiet intake, but a loud exhaust. You want power, but dont want to hear it. You want intake, but dont want to hear it...

I'll just keep driving my 500hp truck that does everything I need it too... Have not had to change a thing in 50,000 miles, before that it was 80,000 miles...

Old 11-05-2014, 07:27 PM
snknby123
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know guys... I don't think it's that big a deal. Who doesn't want it all? Big power, quiet intake, quiet exhuast but with fancy Turbo whistle. Unfortunately, not all can be achieved especially without trying. If one is on a quest for the "perfect" running truck in their mind and they post asking for some feedback, why bother posting just to bust his ballz?

This hobby easily can become borderline obsessive. Especially if you have the finances to back it up. Not trying to pick a fight. Just my .02

Old 11-05-2014, 10:28 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
I dunno, I kinda like having someone else wandering around out in the minefield, getting blown up once in a while. I get to learn by observing. Rich is determined and resourceful enough to pull it off like a boss.

As to the task at hand, I'll second the motion to turn it around and give it a try. The other unit you linked is a common design, pretty much the Walker BTM I'm running. I don't like the sound so I can't recommend it for that. From what I've heard on my tinny laptop speakers the Aeroturbines are nice. I think SARdiverDan had a good clip of it too. In real life the sound I prefer comes from the biggest straight thru muffler you can fit. My 75 F250 460 sounded great with 36" duals. But that's a gasser so...

Old 11-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Gaugepro
Maybe thats why your constantly having issues... You dont want to have a good running truck, you want a quiet intake, but a loud exhaust. You want power, but dont want to hear it. You want intake, but dont want to hear it...

I'll just keep driving my 500hp truck that does everything I need it too... Have not had to change a thing in 50,000 miles, before that it was 80,000 miles...

Here we go again - making this about me. I'm asking for input on the truck. Looking up to the right, I see I now have over 10,000 posts. If you were to be so inclined, you could peruse my posts - looking for a thread where I said I wanted more power. To save time, I will repeat my goals from long ago - when I was asking for input on an injector upgrade:

I want optimal power (the engine's potential at the top of the "green"/bottom of the "yellow" zone) with low EGTs while towing on grades. I want reliability, a clean burn, smooth operation, without a lot of noise.

You may not remember... but when I put this list in a thread, you said something along the line of "A new set of AC 160/100s would be fun". I have what you advised when you had a different ID on this very forum.

After the upgrade you suggested, things went sideways fast (literally and figuratively) - I have more power than I anticipated (tire ripper in TCLU), and the need for a louder intake to handle the potential of the sticks at a subdued tune, let alone a race tune.

I have a race tune that I didn't ask for, but it was given to me as a courtesy - which I used intentionally one time, and accidentally one time (wild finger on the button). My DD tune is all about street manners and drives like stock until I stretch my leg when passing on two-lane roads. My tow tune is dialed back to where the truck can't hurt itself. I use stock-power tune on winter roads, and my PCM has a stock-power burn for the AC 160/100s - in the event the chip needs to be removed.

I'm not an exhaust expert, but if you are saying I can't have whistle without making the truck loud, then I would like more input on this to verify. If this turns out to be the case, I can live with the system I have now - I like everything except the loss of the whistle.

Oh... and I started this thread to ask questions and to share my results with those looking to address drone - not to call attention to the name "Tugly". Your posts are dwelling on the poster, not the questions.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:28 AM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here we go again - making this about me. I'm asking for input on the truck. Looking up to the right, I see I now have over 10,000 posts. If you were to be so inclined, you could peruse my posts - looking for a thread where I said I wanted more power. To save time, I will repeat my goals from long ago - when I was asking for input on an injector upgrade:

I want optimal power (the engine's potential at the top of the "green"/bottom of the "yellow" zone) with low EGTs while towing on grades. I want reliability, a clean burn, smooth operation, without a lot of noise.

You may not remember... but when I put this list in a thread, you said something along the line of "A new set of AC 160/100s would be fun". I have what you advised when you had a different ID on this very forum.

After the upgrade you suggested, things went sideways fast (literally and figuratively) - I have more power than I anticipated (tire ripper in TCLU), and the need for a louder intake to handle the potential of the sticks at a subdued tune, let alone a race tune.

I have a race tune that I didn't ask for, but it was given to me as a courtesy - which I used intentionally one time, and accidentally one time (wild finger on the button). My DD tune is all about street manners and drives like stock until I stretch my leg when passing on two-lane roads. My tow tune is dialed back to where the truck can't hurt itself. I use stock-power tune on winter roads, and my PCM has a stock-power burn for the AC 160/100s - in the event the chip needs to be removed.

I'm not an exhaust expert, but if you are saying I can't have whistle without making the truck loud, then I would like more input on this to verify. If this turns out to be the case, I can live with the system I have now - I like everything except the loss of the whistle.

Oh... and I started this thread to ask questions and to share my results with those looking to address drone - not to call attention to the name "Tugly". Your posts are dwelling on the poster, not the questions.
Well put. Noise out of your truck is just personel preference. Some like it some don`t. But keep up the good work and sharing your results on your mods and fixes and MOST of us don`t mind you sharing your adventures with your rig. I like it, you just never know when that info could come in handy.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:59 AM
montanasteve
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in agreement with David, snknby, and cps on this. Rich's threads are long, as are his responses. He's a bit sarcastic sometimes, but he has never NOT tried to help someone out.

In this case, he's looking for something that I think is attainable. And sometimes googling it won't give you the answers. He lobbed a question up there, with the hope that someone here may have tried the same resonator, and may have said, "Dammit, my whistle is gone!" And maybe, just maybe, they tried flipping it around, the same way he's thinking.

I, too, value Rich's posts. I'm sure he's a great problem-solver at work - he takes notes, pays attention, typically only jumps to a conclusion once all relevant data is gathered and assessed, and values input (especially from people with more experience than him). And the best part - he freely shares it with us, DAILY.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo

Rich,

I've been around this forum for along time... A LONG TIME...

Its not personal, I dont take any of this crap personal. Well, maybe with one particular group, but I'll play nice...

I've just never seen someone struggle so much on a simple 7.3, these motors are so simple and easy to work on (with hands on, but even over the net)...

I did give you the advise of 160/100's years ago (however I do believe I mentioned NEW... LOL)...

I'll try and be more respectful, and less abrasive to you...

Old 11-06-2014, 01:12 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
not bad, "crime seen" ..however, its not a struggle, its a quest, if not, mission.

All the people i've come across being an engineer, (that is, if Tug is by trade), its their goal/attitude. A simple.."this will work" just doesnt cut the mustard. They want reasoning..why, how so, differences..blah blah. Case in point, ex's father, does so to the extent of looking through the reader's digest, and by process of elimination, settled on a 32' panasonic..lol

Anywho...keep up the cool work, Tug. I know i've learned a few tips/tricks..(best put is what "eww said", let others travel through the minefield...haha

btw..just for this thread only, because of his/this "resonator" thread, look how many came out of the woodworks, but yet, none that have responded in this thread, that has one, had yet, to my knowledge, ever started a thread about it

Old 11-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Gaugepro - Thank you sir, I could really use some experienced input - and yours is welcome indeed.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:25 PM
van_350sd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's an older thread about the dreaded drone. Back in 2001 when I installed the 4" SS Magnaflow on my 2000 E350 7.3L it had the worst drone sound that gave you a headache in minutes at 40 plus MPH. On the 7.3 Vans they have this box resonator that is supposed to help muffle the sound. many guys take the box out and use a 2-1/2" Cap of some type and live with the little sound it makes.

In my case I left the resonator box in the van and I wrapped the entire exhaust from the turbo down-pipe to the 5" SS Tip. I also wrapped the round muffler with the 2" heat tape, the results were incredible. The drone is gone, completely gone. The wrapped pipe stopped the harmonic turbo spooling and made the van so much more quiet inside. The entire van is lined with Dynamat extreme and Dynapad on the walls before the fiberglass and interior finishes. All the dynamat was a good investment, but the best 100.00 was wrapping the entire exhaust pipes including the muffler. The pipes have been wrapped for 14 years now and we unwrapped 36" of pipe to see what the SS pipes looked like, and they still look new under the wrap. My friend had an Aluminized exhaust and he unwrapped his section to see if they rusted and not a bit of rust anywhere. Every few years we go to the local oil pit shop and pay the guy to spray the wrap with some can silicone and it helps bead the water off the wrap. The Thermo-Tec is a higher quality 2" tape over the DPI, but for the money the DPI is the better deal and as long as you wrap the pipes 1/2 and 1/2 showing about a 1" wrap around the pipes it does a great job. You need to soak the 2" tape in water for about 1/2 hour before installing it. The wet tape makes a nice and tight wrap and when it dries it's perfect.

You can see my 28 Gallon Transferflow Aux. Tank in the photo and the tank is notched in the corner to allow the 4" exhaust to fit well. The wrapped pipe keeps the heat away from the tank.

All I can say is if you have a drone of any kind, wrap your pipes and enjoy a nice quiet ride. My van was so bad before the tape, we did not even want to ride in it.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:45 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
What a great idea! That never occurred to me, as simple as it sounds once mentioned. Reps.

Quick Reply: Resonator Grater Debator