THE SEPTIC TANK (Political Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 06:28 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GROUND RULES:

BE PROFESSIONAL. Anything out of line will be FLUSHED. Got it?

The forum is OPEN!

Old 07-16-2003, 07:02 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eh.. What to say, well now, ya know.. eh.

Theo, eh, right. I will ponder on the chesterfield for a spell.

Old 07-16-2003, 07:47 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner

Dunno how much I plan to drop into this one either - but for some it's the only thing in life, so why not?

I have heard some foo-furrah over "Where are the weapons of mass destruction?" lately, but I thought that was kind of lame.

It's better to find them far away, then have them detonate on our shores before we notice them.

Old 07-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The WMD issue is a political battle. To say the war was in vain and that there are no WMD is to be blind. It took quite a bit of time after WWII to fully understand what Hitler had been up to. Several years went by before they were even positive that he had long ago assumed room temperature.

Even if there are no WMD (which I doubt), the war was correct.

Old 07-16-2003, 11:41 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner

Odd -

I read through a book several years ago about what exactly was found in the bunker where Hitler allegedly died by his own hand.

Much of the evidence was removed by the Russians, and was not released...

It was a disturbing read, and not necessarily conclusive in it's arguements.

Several possibilities exist, among them that he was executed at the last.

There also came out in it that he was diseased, and had no idea what the effects of his decisions had in real life;

That when presented with a lamp shade made out of Jewish skins, he was revolted and threw a temper tantrum...

Many questions are not answered even today.

Old 07-17-2003, 07:55 AM
theologian
Postmaster

I have been to Iraq, in the past - the guy running the place was the worst kind of dictator, and he had a massive area of nothing, to do whatever he wanted in. If WMD are to be found, it would take MANY years of painstaking search of an area worse than Moab. There are Millions of caves, rocky areas and gullies that could hide any amount of anything. During the 80's and 90's the ruler was constructing massive underground complexes, in many areas, not all of which have been found. So there is a very high likelyhood of there being something banned in some hideaway somewhere.

Even if nothing can be found, it was still valid and necessary to do something about the man whose fun in life came from terrorizing a nation, and killing who ever annoyed him. That people are now complaining about the President's role in this, and claiming he is worse than the last is so annoying. Why do people assume they know what the heck they are talking about. I hear people with NO military experience, who have NEVER been to the area, claiming that there can't be anything because nobody has found anything.

If the government is so corrupt, and the Army is full of liars, why have they not planted some stuff there. Because they don't operate that way, and are sure they will find the stuff they KNOW is around somewhere.

It incenses me to hear the pure drivel issuing forth out of the mouths of total ignoramuses who claim to know what they have no experience with, or knowledge of. Humanity is full of such creatures, and unfortunately, they get to vote too.

Theo

Old 07-17-2003, 08:02 AM
Bikeitswift
Senior User

I think this "stuff" is so far removed from a discussion area for Ford Trucks that it warrants shut down now. I can tinker on my old Ford when all around is chaos, why drag it all into that last refuge so many of us enthusiasts have?

Old 07-18-2003, 11:14 AM
theologian
Postmaster

That is your opinion, Bikeitswift, for which I thank you. however, stifling this thread because you do not agree with it would be a very unfair thing to do. There is an option to all us, that I use often, that is if you do not wish to read the contents of a thread, refrain from opening it. I am not too happy with some of the threads that find their way to this forum, but I cannot determine that they should be deleted - opinions are important, and I respect yours, and hope that this thread remains for a while, Greywolf, the moderator of this Chapter, started it, for what ever reasons he had, and it would be interesting to see where it was going.

Theo

Old 07-18-2003, 11:19 AM
GR8Diesel
Senior User

Amen,
The cornerstone of our society is that we are able to state our opinion regardless of how popular that it is.

Bush's opinion is that we needed to go to war. I respect his opinion, but I don't accept it.

That doesn't mean that I don't support the troops, I do - they were asked to do a difficult job and they OF COURSE did it with distiction. Too bad that Bush has squandered so much of our country's image in the process.

Old 07-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner

"Greywolf, the moderator of this Chapter, started it, for what ever reasons he had, and it would be interesting to see where it was going."
This thread is specifically, and pointedly labelled in the title as exactly what it is -
a political kick-ball ground.

My reasoning is that such discussions take place anyway, here and there in all forums. And I believe it would be just a tiny bit misleading to state that the "Tennessee" forum is entirely about trucks.

It's about Tennessee, Tennesseans, and all things that relate to us, whether national, international, or local. Also - if you hadn't already noticed, there are quite a few staunch activists here who stand firmly against anything like "Scrappage" bills. And yes, that surely DOES involve politics.

Therefore there needs to be somewhere to put it, as it has it's place as well. I believe the people I know that I see in the Tennessee forum also have cooler heads than elsewhere, and I am very interested in hearing their collective viewpoints.

This thread provides a means to express ideas and opinions on the topic without them spilling out all over everywhere else, invites such discussion with an open "This is the place" policy, and is easily avoidable by any who choose not to think about such matters.

But to put it bluntly; if you fail to consider political topics, you are sure (LITERALLY!) to end up with whatever kind of a government someone else wants you to have.

~Wolf

Last edited by Greywolf; 07-18-2003 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:33 PM
Bikeitswift
Senior User

Its not that I question or oppose anyone's expression of their opinion on any topic, I only question why the Ford Forum becomes the place for a political forum. Why not also religion, sexual preference,and racial opinions as well? There are plently of avenues open for freely discussing any topic-that's one REAL BIG thing we have on so many less fortunate countries. I guess if one of us wants tom open athread on why more white guys restore old trucks than blacks, or why gays seem to be proportionately under represented at car functions ( I don't know where that puts Drag Queens!), or why christians appear to be more interested in trucks than jews or muslims...c'mon guys...there are so many places on the internet to openly speak out.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:50 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner

I agree.
-And this is one of them.

Silly stuff though tends to be ignored.

It has been said that "LAW" (aka: Politics) is inseperable from the day to day affairs of man, because without it there would be absolute chaos. What would you do if there were no laws governing someone else taking your belongings away from you?

That's kind of an extreme example, but rights and priveleges follow right along with that. Suppose you lived in a state where they decided one day that any vehicle manufactured more than ten years ago was illegal to operate?
And voted on it.
And passed it...

In Japan, cars more than two years old are taxed so much that they are routinely scrapped, or traded in. They are too expensive to keep.

It is important to keep an eye on what goes on in the legal system, or we could stand to lose an awful lot of things that so far we take for granted. When was the last time you went out to a wrecking yard?

How many mid eighties F-100's did you see?

There has been a lot of scrappage, even with the laws turned back. Older machines are rare as hens teeth.

There are very good, sound reasons why we discuss such things. It is because we HAVE to. It is one thing to claim to be a citizen, quite another to practice "Citizenship".

It is also one thing to vote - and quite another to know who or what you are voting for.

As far as I am concerned - politics affect us every bit as much as the weather, and I have also seen the local weather discussed fairly often.

But racism is an unacceptable topic.

And I really don't think Tennessee needs a gay forum.

At this point in time - I moderate the Tennessee forum. And though I do not regard racism or homosexuality as fit topics for this board, politics stays.

It is necessary.

But you don't have to read the political topic.

(Which IS clearly marked)

One last note: You are of course free to start a "Gay" topic if you choose to do so, but I doubt there would be many replies. And of course - if it turned out to be a battle ground I would be forced to delete it (or do something - God knows I never considered such a thing).

Last edited by Greywolf; 07-18-2003 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:58 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Bikeitswift
Its not that I question or oppose anyone's expression of their opinion on any topic, I only question why the Ford Forum becomes the place for a political forum. Why not also religion, sexual preference,and racial opinions as well? There are plently of avenues open for freely discussing any topic-that's one REAL BIG thing we have on so many less fortunate countries. I guess if one of us wants tom open athread on why more white guys restore old trucks than blacks, or why gays seem to be proportionately under represented at car functions ( I don't know where that puts Drag Queens!), or why christians appear to be more interested in trucks than jews or muslims...c'mon guys...there are so many places on the internet to openly speak out.
Ultra throws up his hands and goes outside to chill out.

Some people you just can't reach.

Old 07-18-2003, 10:18 PM
theologian
Postmaster

Easy there, Dan... Remember your blood pressure. Oh, that's me that has to remember that...

I was browsing somewhere yesterday, and came across a list of type of forum members. If I can remember where the heck I saw it, I will post it here. There are definite accuracies in it.. I recognize a few round here.

Theo

Old 07-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner

Look at the bright side -

We got at least two posts directly from TEXAS, and a few more interested comments by our own.

I would have to consider it an overall gain...

(And yes- one of my all time heroes from literature is Jubal Harshaw!)

*winks*