Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

1979 F150 4x4 Build (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 07:26 PM
BKSMN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's too bad it's not a drivers side. What color is it?

Old 01-10-2015, 07:43 PM
twofifty
Senior User
I see your driver's side is way worse. Bummer. This one is Blue/Light Blue two tone. It has the small "chrome" trim like the one in your pictures.

What did you use to redo the silver on your instrument bezel? I read a thread a while back here on which paint to use, but can't find it now.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:55 PM
BKSMN
Senior User
Originally Posted by twofifty
I see your driver's side is way worse. Bummer. This one is Blue/Light Blue two tone. It has the small "chrome" trim like the one in your pictures.

What did you use to redo the silver on your instrument bezel? I read a thread a while back here on which paint to use, but can't find it now.
Bummer, if that was a drivers side I would've taken it off your hands.

I just used some silver paint that we already had. It was called "Van and Truck Paint". It matched pretty well so I just used it. I sprayed the paint into a container then used a foam brush to paint the trim. It probably wasn't the best way to do it but it got the job done.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:06 PM
twofifty
Senior User
10-4. Another member on here used a silver paint pen or something similar he found at Michael's. Was curious if you used the same method. Looks good regardless. Good luck finding that driver's side panel, just remember that if you find one in a junkyard to be very ginger taking it off as the plastic "tabs" the clips are on love to snap off.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:30 PM
BKSMN
Senior User
Thanks for the heads up. Have you had any luck finding dents in junk yards near the twin cities?

Old 01-10-2015, 08:30 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,282 Likes on 2,439 Posts
Remove the inner door handle latch 1 phillips screw, catch the rubber gasket thing behind the handle. The door pull cup, 2 screws. The window crank handle 1 phillips screw. Catch the plastic washer and the spring. And FYI door panels with the upper vinyl overlay have a longer mount shaft.

And then if you do not have the door panel tool, a large #4 flat tip with a deep v cut in the tip works great to pop them put, and put a little bend/curve in the driver body.

If that is not available, start on the bottom edge, either corner and use both hand on each side of the clip attachment areas. Steady pressure, do not yank it. Like some knuckle heads do, and then they realized they did not have any tools to get the first 3 items mentioned and required off.

You have to be careful when you find stuff like this in a JY.

Attached Images    
Old 01-10-2015, 09:12 PM
twofifty
Senior User
Originally Posted by BKSMN
Thanks for the heads up. Have you had any luck finding dents in junk yards near the twin cities?
There are some in the older yards, but most that I've found have been either complete junk or picked over already. Luckily I haven't had to look for any rust free body panels. That would be a nightmare from what I've seen around.

Good write-up there 77&79, my last truck suffered from someone yanking the panels off. Almost every clip on that one was busted and the door panel barely stayed on by itself. I can't count the number of door panels I've seen in the yard that were ripped off in haste, busted, then left for dead.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:52 PM
BKSMN
Senior User
I was able to take my passanger door panel off (which is in OK shape) without breaking anything so hopefully I would be able to do the same at a junk yard.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:30 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,282 Likes on 2,439 Posts
Well if you do get one that is trashed just over haul it. 2 part epoxy, JB weld and even a piece skin grafted in and metal over lay will tune them up.

The metal is an over lay of the plastic where the 2 screws that go thru the finger cup and then thru the panel and into the bracket on the door is.

Also the velcro trick will work great as a back up and notching the panel behind the finger cup works great to get it tighter and closer cause there are 2 bolt heads that hit the back side. The finger cup covers the little notches.

Finger cup... trash can the plastic ones and get metal LMC $12.00 or maybe DC or BG? And use the GM push buttons they are longer....

Also if you come across a hard panel to remove like with new or fairly new plastic buttons or you feel like it is going to explode on you if you pull any harder.

No worries, take a hack saw blade, wrap a piece of tape around the end for a handle and get the other end behind the panel and just cut plastic buttons.

Now it they are original and have the metal mount barbs, you can still cut them, but it takes a while. And if they are all installed CORRECTLY you should be able just slide the panel fwd and the barbs stay in the door, yea right, I never have that luck.

Attached Images           
Old 01-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Hyperactive460
Elder User
I tried to spot the source of the trans fluid, but there's so much grease dirt and grime on everything that it was impossible to see where it was coming from. I'll try the pan bolts.

Thankfully I did remember to trace the hinges with a sharpie before I took the door off. I was reading through a build thread a while back and he talked about how difficult it was to get the door aligned correctly so I tried to prevent that

Taking off the front inner fenders and the tail lights definitely made taking the trim off a lot less frustrating.
you can always drill two 1/8 inch hole in the hinge for future reference. thgis works on body panels as well.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:30 PM
BKSMN
Senior User
I'm back at school now so this will be my last update for a while since I won't be home to work on my truck.

Scored this hitch for $40 on Craigslist

My sister has started reupholstering my seat. I decided to go with black vinyl with grey polyester for the middle parts.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:10 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to see another member from Minnesota! I'm from Hugo, sadly there are no dents in the junkyard here. It's hard enough to find 80s parts for my truck, let alone 70s parts.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:22 PM
ShaneNP123
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a pair of green door panels in next to immaculate condition, shipping from Canada would be hard on the wallet though

Old 01-12-2015, 08:30 PM
BKSMN
Senior User
Originally Posted by ShaneNP123
I have a pair of green door panels in next to immaculate condition, shipping from Canada would be hard on the wallet though
How much would you want for them?

Old 01-12-2015, 08:33 PM
ShaneNP123
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
How much would you want for them?
I would give you them for the cost of the shipping.

Quick Reply: 1979 F150 4x4 Build (pics)