1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Thompsons Water Seal for bed wood

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:07 AM
tjdad62
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thompsons Water Seal for bed wood

Has anyone tried using Thompson's Water Seal and Waterproofer for the wood in the bed of their truck? Seems like it should work pretty good since it is designed to protect other outdoor furniture and decks. I am going with a Wormy (Ambrosia) Maple bed. It won't be parked outdoors all the time...just during cruises or car shows so I am not worried about it trying to withstand 14" of snow during the Colorado winters here.

Thoughts?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:12 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
FWIW, and I'm not a chemist so can't say for sure, but I've always been told that Thompson's is one of those products that spend more money on marketing than product, and almost every other product on the shelf is better. I'll let some of the other woodworkers chime in, but you may want to do your own research on quality of product. FYI.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
The Ax has spoken (I tend to listen to him since he is waaaay smarter than me):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...g-sealing.html

Old 10-27-2014, 09:54 AM
cosmaar1
Junior User
Originally Posted by tjdad62
Has anyone tried using Thompson's Water Seal and Waterproofer for the wood in the bed of their truck? Seems like it should work pretty good since it is designed to protect other outdoor furniture and decks. I am going with a Wormy (Ambrosia) Maple bed. It won't be parked outdoors all the time...just during cruises or car shows so I am not worried about it trying to withstand 14" of snow during the Colorado winters here.

Thoughts?

I bought this CRAP to spray on my fence about a month ago and finally got around to trying to put it on last night. It says right on the jug "can spray from a garden style sprayer". That is the 100% reason why I bought it. Lets just say after 30 minutes of screwing around with my garden sprayer, I quit and will never buy this product again. It is honestly like glue and there is no way it will protect anything since you can't even get it out of the sprayer!

Go a more expensive route via Minwax or something else. I have never had a problem with them.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:18 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Figure out what you want the truck to be. A show truck or a truck you can throw trash in the back of and head for the dump. If the later, go with a deck sealer, not necessarily the one mentioned. If you want the glossy, mirror like finish, read some of the threads and comments on this forum. I use the same deck sealer on my wood truck beds that I use on my house decks. Not pretty, not glossy, not fancy but durable. Someone gave me five gallons of the Thompson stuff and I have it on my trailer deck. I have no idea how it will or will not hold up. All my equipment is stored under cover.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 PM
ADOR
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad has used this years ago along with several other stuff to protect the wood on the side of the bed and in the bed of his little red express truck. We never could get it to really last even after doing up to 9 coats inside and letting it dry for a couple of days before putting them back in the truck. We just wound up painting them in the bed. The different clear coats for the wood we tried didn't last longer than 4 to 5 months either.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:51 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Thompson's Water Seal is pretty much carnuba wax dissolved in some pretty potent solvents. Once, I had a client ask me to spray it on the wood siding of his house. Some overspray hit the asphalt shingles, and they started melting. a bed done with it will need recoating eventually. You'll never get anything else to penetrate into the wood that's been treated with it. And, who knows what the Thompson's will do to your paint job if some gets on it.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:59 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
AFAIK Thompsons is primarily paraffin (candle) wax dissolved in mineral spirits with maybe a little silicone thrown in for water beading. Lifespan is about 6 months. Why would you spend the money for an attractive wood like ambrosia maple then coat/"protect" it with the cheapest cr*p on the market? I highly recommend 100% pure tung oil from a woodworking supplier (NOT "tung oil finish" or any of the other highly advertised junk sold in big box DIY stores!). You can do it right or do it over, your choice.
The ambrosia maple will age to a beautiful honey color with tung oil.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
I read the test results of 5 similar products, Thompsons finished 5th, Olympic finished first.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After seeing it mentioned many times and seeing it in person at a local car show, I've decided to use the 100% pure tung oil on Hickory for one of my trucks.

I ordered it at realmilkpaint.com

Old 10-27-2014, 02:21 PM
fking1
Elder User
Urethane Marine Varnish, gloss. Has been on my bed wood for 20 years and still looks great.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:39 PM
dadgonebroke
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
thanks!

Just when I thought I had nothing to do- I read this thread and remember that I was going to refinish the wood on my '56 Custom Cab. So tonight, I'm under the truck and the wife's above, holding bolt heads.

Got my tung oil from Real Milk and hopefully it'll be here in a few days. But now I have to start sanding what's left of the old varnish etc. from better than 10 years ago. Now my question- what's the correct procedure for sanding the boards? Stupid question but I'm sure there's an art to it.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:53 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Belt sander, with the grain only

Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Listen to Ax - I did and used 100% Tung oil on my black walnut bed. It was beautiful. If you do, it may take a couple coats but don't be afraid to use a lot on each coat. Have fun

Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 AM
dadgonebroke
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Belt sander, with the grain only
Only issue is peeling clear- what grades of sandpaper?

Quick Reply: Thompsons Water Seal for bed wood