Ambo to Crew Cab? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Ambo to Crew Cab?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Senior User

ozdatman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ambo to Crew Cab?

Question I want to know is will this

Fit on one of these.

Any one with experience in fitting, I would be glad to hear from you.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Senior User

Well I bought the ambo rear end in the picture for 100 bucks. Guess I'm going to have to figure it out. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Posting Guru

Blue7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.Blue7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.Blue7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.Blue7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.Blue7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.
What's the plan? are you making it into a camper?
First thing to do is you and a mate with a tape measure and measure all the mounting positions and compare them with the truck.
Do you or are you going to extend the top of the back so as it extends out to the front of the cab to the point of the windscreen?
Are you going to make it a walk through as it intended?
Is the Ambo back the same size as your tub, if so i would imagine the mounts would be the same for both.

Can't say I've ever seen one of these conversions done yet, but there always has to be a first .
Good luck
Old 10-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue7.3 View Post
What's the plan? are you making it into a camper?
First thing to do is you and a mate with a tape measure and measure all the mounting positions and compare them with the truck.
Do you or are you going to extend the top of the back so as it extends out to the front of the cab to the point of the windscreen?
Are you going to make it a walk through as it intended?
Is the Ambo back the same size as your tub, if so i would imagine the mounts would be the same for both.

Can't say I've ever seen one of these conversions done yet, but there always has to be a first .
Good luck

Not going to make it a walk through, I'm just going to sheet up the front of it. It came off a 1996 single cab and will fit where my 8 foot well back tray is. The worry is hitting the roof and rubbing a hole in it. I'm going to have to space the whole thing up a couple of inches because no, I'm not going to extend the front of it. I don't think it uses the same mounting positions as the tray.
Part of the reason I'm doing it Blue is because I'm moving to your part of the world and this will be handy to pack a heap of crap in for the drive across( I'm in WA). I will probably use it as a camper at times after that but will slide it off because I need a ute too and this would be pretty heavy for everyday driving.
So maybe I'll see you on the road after new year Blue.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:46 AM
Posting Guru

Blue7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.Blue7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.Blue7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.Blue7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.Blue7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdatman View Post
Not going to make it a walk through, I'm just going to sheet up the front of it. It came off a 1996 single cab and will fit where my 8 foot well back tray is. The worry is hitting the roof and rubbing a hole in it. I'm going to have to space the whole thing up a couple of inches because no, I'm not going to extend the front of it. I don't think it uses the same mounting positions as the tray.
Part of the reason I'm doing it Blue is because I'm moving to your part of the world and this will be handy to pack a heap of crap in for the drive across( I'm in WA). I will probably use it as a camper at times after that but will slide it off because I need a ute too and this would be pretty heavy for everyday driving.
So maybe I'll see you on the road after new year Blue.

Why not just slice the front extension off and sheet metal the whole front or frame it up and F/glass the complete front.
Are there wheel arches protruding inside the Ambo body?

What you need to do is make it like a slide on and trim down the sides so as it slips inside the tub you have .
What part of Gods country are you moving to?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:45 AM
Senior User

I don't want to cut the front off as it provides a bit more storage space and down the road I wouldn't mind seeing if I could get the air con unit working.

The wife is already working in Launceston. We are trying to buy some land out lilydale way. Its amazing how Tasmanians think traveling over 10 minutes to get to work is too far. It plays into our hands for land prices out of town, 20 mins to half an hour is nothing for us to travel to work.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Senior User

Yes it has wheel arches inside, but they look smaller because of the storage boxes.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Post Fiend

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
If it came off a 96, it should fit fine. The 1999+ trucks had a roof 3" higher. All trucks prior had the same frame/roof height. I'd try to get it to mount as close to flush with the roof as possible - if you cover your roof with 2 layers of 3M's clear vinyl wrap, it will protect the paint if it does hit/rub.

It will be a bit of a PITA to lift on/lift off regularly. Are you planning on mounting a set of camper jacks to it?

Enjoy Tassie - I miss the place.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdatman View Post
I don't want to cut the front off as it provides a bit more storage space and down the road I wouldn't mind seeing if I could get the air con unit working.

The wife is already working in Launceston. We are trying to buy some land out lilydale way. Its amazing how Tasmanians think traveling over 10 minutes to get to work is too far. It plays into our hands for land prices out of town, 20 mins to half an hour is nothing for us to travel to work.

Nice part of the country Lilydale , not far from town either.
I think the job your attempting to do will be interesting as i have never seen one done to this date, will you keep us posted on your progress , we might be able to offer some advice as you get into it. Good luck
Old 10-28-2014, 04:32 AM
Senior User

Cheers boys, busy with fixing up the house before I can "renovate" the Effie. Super keen to get it on the road and get on the road.
The guy I bought it off said it had 2 mounts that go though the roof and join up with the sunvisor mounting points. both mounts looked to be about an inch high. It also ran a rubber block strip between roof and canopy.
Picking it up tomorrow so should know more then.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:38 AM
Posting Guru

Wow are you going to punch a couple of holes through the roof, surely there a better way.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue7.3 View Post
Wow are you going to punch a couple of holes through the roof, surely there a better way.

No I was horrified at the thought, but I will use the rubber strip between the roof and canopy.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Posting Guru

Thank god for that , anyway the front section of the ambo wouldn't come up to the sun visor mounts but would on a single cab, sorry that's what you where suggesting.