Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HELP!! Edge programmer screwed me over need reflash

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:42 PM
tony2toes
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!! Edge programmer screwed me over need reflash

I recently got my hands on an '02 powerstroke, it had a few issues but i got it running. It had a chip in it that I removed. I wanted to be able to read the error codes so the previous owner traded me an Edge programmer for the chip.

So I went home and was fiddling with the programmer, I tried to do the Tow tune but it said it had already uploaded to another truck (his '99 powerstroke). I figured this was just a feature so that someone couldnt go around and install tunes on all of their buddies trucks. So thinking I was being sneaky I did "return to stock" even though my truck is already stock to fool the programmer.

It worked, returned to stock and then allowed me to use the performance tunes. However now my truck wont start It wont turn over.

After doing some research i figured out what happened... I erased my stock programming and over wrote it with his stock '99 programming and clearly it wont work in an '02................Now I feel stupid....

I know Ford can reflash the PCM back to stock again, but do they need the whole truck to do it or can i just bring them the PCM? Im kinda on a budget here. I was looking forward to using the Edge to formulate "economy tunes" which is why i wanted it. What will they charge me?

Is there anyways I can do it using the edge? Like say download the stock programming for an '02 from somewhere, put it on the edge and then re-upload it to the truck. Im not sure whats possible with these things but Im extrememly frustrated at this point because I just had the thing running good.

Any help is extremely apreciated!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:01 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I don't see why Ford can't flash the PCM with nothing but the PCM in hand. PHP and DP Tuner can flash PCMs - I thought is was something like $140, but I can't remember. Know anybody else with a 2002? Another factor is the PCM code, printed on the side of the connector.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:42 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Just so we're clear on this.....

You're blaming Edge and their product because it blanked-out your PCM when you decided to try and circumvent their security feature by being "sneaky"?

Nice. This is exactly why these types of devices have such a bad reputation and why there are so many people who will bash the product without even having tried it for themselves. Turn that finger of blame around and point it at yourself.

Take the PCM to Ford. They will (or should) have an off-board programming adapter that allows them to reflash without the vehicle present. On the other hand, Edge customer support is VERY helpful and can actually use your Evolution product to reflash your PCM to a stock calibration....they'll charge you a miniscule amount of money to "reset" the programming device though. If you really want to be "sneaky", don't tell them what you were trying to do in the first place.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:07 AM
tony2toes
New User
Yeah I know it was stupid, its not really edges fault, I just wish the guy would have explained that it stored your stock data onboard while the tunes were uploaded, had i known that I wouldnt have even messed with it till i figured out how to reset the programmer.

The guy who I traded the chip too did mention he had to put his truck back to stock before i would be able to use the tunes on it, I dont think he understood how it worked though because he mentioned i could try it anyways and see what happened. (his truck was not currently running due to other issues)

Im going to call both Edge and Ford today and see what the damage is, lesson learned there i suppose! I just couldnt help but dicker around with the thing once i got it home.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I'm going to nickname our friend Cody "The Carpet Caller". He's is proficient at calling members on the carpet when they defy the diesel doctrines, but he'll go to the mat for you when you need help.

You committed a faux pas, you learned from it, it's not an expensive error... so I say good on you for being open and honest about it from the beginning. Please feel free to share your next idea before committing, so the group has the opportunity to share what experience they might have in that case.

I'm the resident cautionary tale, so my Diesel Darwin Award case has bigger trophies in it than your boo-boo.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:59 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if Ford will flash just the PCM. Especially if its a customer drop-off. Often they won't do it without the vehicle. I don't know the price. Tugley stated $150. We charge "about" $600 - $800 WITH a new PCM.

Another option is to mail it off to several vendors who will do it as well.

Yet another option is to locate someone with a J2534 Pass through which will allow you to download the latest flash from the Motorcraft site for about $25 and burn it to the PCM.

As Tugley stated, you WILL need the PCM Data Label information. Otherwise you'll find some things may not work following the flash. It's build specific for each model category. i.e.: Year, transmission, Dash, Console, Options, GEM compatibility etc.

I do applaud your honesty. There is a reason programmers are vehicle and owner specific. These companies don't just give away their products. You could have contacted the vendor who may have talked you through a reset process of the tuner. I have had great luck with building relationships with several tuner companies who have helped me out when they rally didn't have to for just this reason. At most I have faxed them a repair order receipt for a new PCM. If its worth having, its worth buying.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:39 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetmw
As Tugley stated, you WILL need the PCM Data Label information. Otherwise you'll find some things may not work following the flash. It's build specific for each model category. i.e.: Year, transmission, Dash, Console, Options, GEM compatibility etc.
Say what? A PCM calibration code is a PCM calibration code. Whatever is on the sticker is all that's needed to know what needs to be flashed. The PCM doesn't care one bit about a "dash", console, options, etc.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:45 AM
tony2toes
New User
Thanks but hes right. I tend to just dive headlong into things and find my way afterwards. I contacted Edge today and they said they can most likely get my stock programming onto my programmer and then re-upload it to the truck. No word on cost or if it will cost anything, they were pretty friendly though.

Honestly Im already addicted to this truck and Ive only driven it a handful of times, diesels are much more intellectually stimulating than gassers. I get bored once I learn everything about a vehicle and there seems to be alot to learn here.

Ill update this when its fixed. I do feel that there should be a warning label on the unit about doing what I did because when you buy something used you usually dont have manuals ect ect. I shoulda done more research first but whatever, lesson learned.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:32 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by whitetmw
...Tugley stated $150. We charge "about" $600 - $800 WITH a new PCM....

Not wanting to be the source of misinformation, I should clarify that estimate was for DP or PHP putting your stock tune on the PCM. I wouldn't presume to know what the dealership does, but Firefighter 1406 paid for a PCM flash at a dealership recently.