More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscription active

Old 11-21-2014, 11:14 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford F834
That is indeed the "best part" in terms of how the truck drives and pulls... so did you get a chance to drive it around with each set up or was the switch for the dyno only? Those are some very strong torque numbers, good job!

He drove it home afterward, and popped the valve cover off to check things out. Roads are wet here, so he cant do anything if he wanted to anyway ... Other than that, its the same pump I had on my truck, just with a better turbo kit and injectors. Im sure the locked out timing makes things a little more short, but unless your taking it past 2300, it probably doesn't feel any different, I haven't got a chance to ride in it though. Im sure that pump will stay on his truck for a good while, I don't have an IDI to put it on, and his truck is the best current platform for testing parts around it, so I don't see it coming off anytime soon.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:52 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by sherwin johnson
Wow....

I usually look at amped-up newer diesels in magazines like Diesel Power and Diesel World.... and often as horsepower goes up, torque doesn't necessarily increase the same amount. Here we have a way-turned up IDI that is making over twice the torque as horsepower!!! Very impressed.

Good job man!

Yeah, the characteristics of these engines are mainly from the pump curve. They like to peak out right at 2800rpm with every cam out there, its just where the airflow characteristics and pump fueling cross, the only thing we can really change is where peak torque is and how broad it is.

The Horsepower is low, it should actually be closer to 380-390 with that torque, but it was getting choked up at 2300rpm somehow, probably the dirty assed spectre air filter...

I will put this out there, if you look at where the numbers are at, and not the peaks, you would be very hard pressed to find any diesel out there that puts numbers like this out, this low in the RPM range. I don't think there are many cummins doing 350whp at 2300RPM unless its compounded and peaking out at 800whp, and the same with a constant load, 700wtq at 1600RPM constantly loaded.

The performance of this engine is great, I just gotta get the top end sorted away.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:59 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
trailer towing torque sure but your going to get pulled over for obstructing the view of the entire road lol! not exactly practical pushing that much fuel through her.you'd need to measure your mpg in gpm. i dunno if you could stuff a large enough intercooler in her to actually be able to pull max gross up a steep grade at that level could ya? (if you could find a stretch with no one around.don't let the emission ***** see ya.they'll hang us all lol.)

but that's a lot of fun to watch.
Its not bad when you are just driving. The dyno run begins at 1300rpm, WOT, so the pump is dumping 190cc in with no boost at all. On the street, your not going to go WOT at 1300rpm, that's just dumb. The truck idles completely clean, and I didn't notice much smoke while driving, as soon as the turbo lights, it cleans up pretty good.

I know with the 90, he couldn't go over 900* on the pyro, Im sure he can with the 190, but I had this pump on my truck pulling through the western states, and I had no issues with EGT at 15000lbs, and I wasn't even using my water injection.

Originally Posted by goose_ss4
I think you could clean that black smoke up with more timing and turbo tuning.

I agree, I got cut short on tuning because of the small issues we were having, and the Air filter needs to be replaced with something bigger. I think next dyno will be a lot better, we will have more time because we wont have to switch pumps.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:03 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Oh and this turbo is so efficient on this setup... The Numbers on the 90 were at 18psi (same as the HX35) but it made 40whp/45wtq more at the same boost. The bigger numbers were made at 25psi. My truck, with similar numbers (342/759) did it at 30psi with the S362... I think if I can get this turbo to about 30psi on the dyno, it will be cleaner and make the numbers I am looking for.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:31 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
So my first reaction when I read the results were some expletives that I won't type here. Those numbers are extremely impressive. If you can reduce the smoke with some more tuning it would be great. What type of EGT's were being seen?

I also thought "How did the drive line stay together?". I saw there reinforcements listed for the motor, but what has been done to the drive train to support the abuse.

In my wrenching endeavors I always found that adding more power just exposes the next weakest link in the chain.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:18 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jayro88
So my first reaction when I read the results were some expletives that I won't type here. Those numbers are extremely impressive. If you can reduce the smoke with some more tuning it would be great. What type of EGT's were being seen?

I also thought "How did the drive line stay together?". I saw there reinforcements listed for the motor, but what has been done to the drive train to support the abuse.

In my wrenching endeavors I always found that adding more power just exposes the next weakest link in the chain.

I didn't ask Keith how much EGT he was seeing, on the dyno its not as big of a deal as towing obviously, so if it hit above 1200 its no big deal, I would imagine that that was probably whereabouts it was at given the length of the runs..

The drivetrain is a Southbend Clutch and stock ZF5, everything else is stock. Nothing weak about the F-series drivetrain, it will handle more than this...

As far as your last statement, lol, I know a thing or two about that as well..

Old 11-21-2014, 03:38 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
I

The drivetrain is a Southbend Clutch and stock ZF5, everything else is stock. Nothing weak about the F-series drivetrain, it will handle more than this...

As far as your last statement, lol, I know a thing or two about that as well..
Good to know about the driveline. I am currently running a Southbend Stage 3 clutch in my track car. Been very happy with it. Holds everything I throw at it for hours on the track, yet engages smooth......even with cams and a lightened flywheel.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:33 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very impressed with how fast the 366 spooled with the 90cc. Some very impressive numbers.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:39 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
timing will not clean up that cloud. BIG NUMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-28-2014, 11:53 PM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, awesome numbers, can't wait to see what you get on the next tuning session.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:26 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Great job. Very impressive for a IDI engine.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:39 PM
1973dieselhighboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is very impressive I have a build powerstroke and I drove my brothers truck the other night and I never hit over 1100egt on it without a load behind and once I get to about 1700 it lights off and goes so if you know how to drive a manual and keep the turbo spooled there would never be an issue with towing and the only reason I hit 1100 on egt is cause I wanted to see how it would lite that s366 off compaired to my powerstroke with the same turbo, a little slowerer but that hit was just about as hard and that was going from 10mph 3rd gear floor board just dumping fuel, tell it lite off and running to 2800rpm. I am looking to build my wheelin rig with an idi instead of a powerstroke just cause you can get the same power for a little cheaper and less electronics.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:09 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm drooling!!!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:41 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its not bad when you are just driving. The dyno run begins at 1300rpm, WOT, so the pump is dumping 190cc in with no boost at all. On the street, your not going to go WOT at 1300rpm, that's just dumb. The truck idles completely clean, and I didn't notice much smoke while driving, as soon as the turbo lights, it cleans up pretty good.
Would this fit your 190 pump? If it would, it should help keep it clean.

Hypermax - Product Display

I will put this out there, if you look at where the numbers are at, and not the peaks, you would be very hard pressed to find any diesel out there that puts numbers like this out, this low in the RPM range. I don't think there are many cummins doing 350whp at 2300RPM unless its compounded and peaking out at 800whp, and the same with a constant load, 700wtq at 1600RPM constantly loaded.
5.9 liters vs. 7.3 liters - you have to have more air to make up for the fewer cubic inches, right? Take a look at the bigger 6.7 liter Cummins - 865 ft. lbs. at 1,700 RPM and *only* 385 HP. If you continue and look at the 8.3 liter, we see 890 ft. lbs. at 1,500 RPM, but I digress.

It's amazing what you guys have done with these engines over the past few months. I hope you can get enough business in the long run to make it sustainable. If all your parts would have been on the market a year ago, I might have stayed with the ol' IDI - maybe I need to get another...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some Dyno Numbers and Turbo info