6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Air leak, bad fuel pump, or HPOP?

Old 10-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air leak, bad fuel pump, or HPOP?

My truck left me on the side of the road. Here is the run down.
8000 miles on Mobile One diesel oil and fuel filters. FICM fuel tune only.
Coming home my truck started loosing fuel. I coasted to side of road and after turning over a few times, I called for tow. After 20 mins, I turned it over and it started. Back on the road, it did it one more time in a 15 mile distance home. Next day, I changed fuel filters. After starting, it died. So I opened drain until pump got fuel there, then took fuel cap off until fuel flowed out. Truck started and ran great for about 15 miles. It took 5 times of stopping and waiting and restarting to get back home (well one block away) Each time took longer to build psi and harder to start. Towed one block home.
Fuel pump is working, but does sound like a little skip now and then. Had 1/2 tank and I added anothere 5 gals incase it is in the tank air leak. Never smoked white or black. Still no start. No codes. I already have a fuel pump coming from Rock Auto. Any ideas as to what and how to check anything else?

edit: filters were dirty and pulled drain plug all the way out to replace with better and it had trash on the tip.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
So you are monitoring fuel psi? How do those numbers look? Can you see ICP/IPR when cranking and no start? What year model is it? (The '03 in your sig says "sold").

Old 10-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
No monitoring. Just going by how many time it took to cycle the key for the sound of the pump having pressure. Not perfect, but it got me .....almost home. I have the Torque app, let me look at ICP/IPR and get back.
04 in sig.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
OK.
Scangauge had no codes. Torque had three.
p0263
p0278
p0401
ICP KONS 33.5
CRANKING 112
STARTED FOR 1 SECOND AND JUMPED TO 1100 OR SO.
IPR CRANKING 84

FICM POWERS ARE GOOD.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
Im going to pull the egr valve and clean it.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
May help with the p0401. ICP at 112 cranking and IPR at 84% sounds like HPO leak or pump not making pressure. Early or late '04?

Old 10-19-2014, 05:09 AM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
May help with the p0401. ICP at 112 cranking and IPR at 84% sounds like HPO leak or pump not making pressure. Early or late '04?
It is an early '04.
What is the reason for that question, the filter stand pipe?

Old 10-19-2014, 08:14 AM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I was wishing it would be something simple.
So, how can I tell if it is a bad HPOP or just a leak?
I have 8k miles on oil, but I was thinking I would be good to 10k with Mobile1.
Could this be part of the problem?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:34 AM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotwheelbill
It is an early '04.
What is the reason for that question, the filter stand pipe?
Late 04 has the icp on the passenger valve cover. Early has it under the turbo.

Late 04 has stand pipes and dummy plugs that come with the wavey HP oil rails. Early does not. HP oil leak could be pump or DP and DPs in late 04.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
The only way I know to get it right is an air test. The '03-'04 High pressure oil pumps have had issues. I was thinking of the ICP location (where you would attach the air hose for the test) and the early oil rails are different also (hose instead of standpipes). While your oil change interval is longer than I'm comfortable with, I don't think it's your no start problem. One last check before going deeper, can you read/post ICP volts while cranking?

After that, time to roll up your sleeves (unless you decide to get a shop to check it out).
I'd pull the oil cap and filter first. Hold down the little black button in the bottom of the housing while someone cranks the truck over. The housing should fill quickly (Be sure your helper knows you don't want it to start/run). If it doesn't fill quickly there is an issue with the low pressure oil supply- pump or regulator.

It may be worth the effort to pull the IPR and check the screen. While it's out you can ohm out the electrical side. You should see about 6ohms maybe higher. Mostly looking for it to be open or shorted. Unfortunately the IPR and ICP are in a tight spot behind and below the turbo.

The PCM needs to see at least 500psi fron the ICP sensor before it will command injectors to fire. Yours is much lower. Attempting to crank with it disconnected will cause PCM to default to an acceptable value and start if the ICP is bad and there actually is suffencient oil pressure.

The IPR should be in the 16-24% range during idle (may run up some during cranking), it's a normally open valve and the number represents how far closed the PCM is driving it to raise pressure. Operating range is 0-85% so PCM is closing yours all the way and still not seeing sufficient pressure to squirt the injectors.

Possibilities are

Bad ICP. It's not reading actual pressure correctly. Disconnect it to force default reading and try to start to verify. If it cranks ICP is likely bad. It could also be wiring harness issues at ICP. Check for deterioration, shorting and being oil soaked- an indication ICP sensor is failed leaking.

IPR. Trash inside the valve is holding it open. Sometimes a piece of the screen will have broken out and be stuck inside it, or it's binding and can't close (we can only see what it's being told to do and have no indication of it's actual position). Less common is failure of the electrical side.

A leak in the high pressure oil system. Applying shop air to the ICP opening and listening/inspecting for air to escape.

A failed High Pressure Oil Pump. Air test mentioned above can verify. There is a check ball in the pump housing that often gets "spit out" when the pump fails.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
Thanks Rusty.
I dont use my truck like I use to, so it may take a week or so for me to get this done. But I will check the ICP Volts this morning and post it.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:31 AM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
I can not find the ICP VOLTS gauge on my Torque app. Anyone know how it is labled in the app?

Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 AM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
I can not find the ICP VOLTS gauge on my Torque app. Anyone know how it is labled in the app?
The ICPV does not come preloaded with TP. You have to enter it manually. There is a thread on it. Do a search and you will find it. I don't know if it is in the tech folder or not.

I can't enter all that text from the phone. If I find time later today I'll find the thread and post a link.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ICP volts have to be manually entered. It is Post #9...and post # 4 explains how to enter it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14612341

Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
OK, Thanks guys.

ICPV while cranking 0.3 volts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air leak, bad fuel pump, or HPOP?