My new 2015 super duty first impression - Page 6 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

My new 2015 super duty first impression

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new 2015 super duty first impression

Old 07-08-2015, 01:17 AM
94ruck
Senior User
94ruck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have added the light bar i got from Jon, a few cheap lights and now some fender flares on a budget. Still haven't ordered the shocks and now also contemplating the stabilizer when i do place the order. With the big old fender flares( picture to come), i realize that i am going to need some bigger tires and wheels but have decided against a lift.
13,800 miles on it, been using it to pull the 6x12 bike trailer around to the races this summer but haven't driven it much since our return from kentucky..pics will be added when i have more time, lol.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:12 AM
94ruck
Senior User
I haven't updated in a while as i have been busy working on the harley and keeping busy with work and the occasional mx race. I now have 16300 miles on my not new Ford Pick Up.
I have not update my shocks yet. Just haven't had the time. But i did break down and work on some more budget things and ended up with 5 vision wheels( 20x9) and 4 brand new Nitto trail grappler tires. I bought all of these off craigslist over time as I am trying to keep costs low while steadily improving my truck. Some pics of the tires I picked up last night along with the wheels below.
Some things I have found through the first year of ownership:
Fuel consumption- this is not a run around town vehicle if you want good gas mileage. The 5 stop lights between my house the I35w 5 miles away will knock my mpg down. If i run around town it will hover in the low 13s or even the high 12 mpg. On the highway empty or lightly loaded with little wind drag and I can get in the high 18-19 and over the long haul I can get 20 if I keep my foot out of it and run the posted speed limits. It seems to get the best mpg around 75. I am sure my new taller tires will kill that. I am already running 3.31 axle ratios...
Power and load mpg are heads and tails above the 6.0. I have to really watch my speeds with my travel trailer even at 10K pounds the truck doesn't notice it once i am rolling down the highway. I get almost 12 if the wind isn't blowing and I am running sane speeds and it will drop down to 11 in the wind or if i climb above 75. My 6.0 would get 9 most of the time, sometime 10 at best with the exact same load.
The ride is much improved with the trailer on and I have been pulling when I am driving the truck so I haven't bothered with the shocks. But expecting more road trips this winter without the trailer and if my ride doesn't improve with the big tires then it will be shock and stabilizer time(which i expect after adding the big tires).
I lost my phone while on a long harley road trip. I got a new one and thought i had the same addresses and numbers but when i tried to call, the lady sync voice would just keep repeating herself. I had to erase the old phone and address book and add my new device and down load the new phone book.
The vinyl interior rocks. I thought I would miss my carpet and leather but this stuff is so easy to clean( except around the cup holders on the arm rest of the front bench seat). The floor is simply a sweep and mop and done. I spent hours keeping my carpeted xlt interiors clean. Having 2 dogs that travel and hang out in the wet grass and red dirt at the mx races means a nasty interior at times but 10 minutes later it looks brand new.
I bought the big fender flares and they have done wonders in keeping grime off the exterior paint and a lot less flingage on the plastic steps. They look goofy with my cop wheel and tire look but with the new wheel I expect them to look more, well, masculine..
To date i have tinted the windows,added the window vent covers, added the light bar from Jon and 2 sets of lights, wired all of my aux switches to run the lights and future projects and now adding wheels and tires. My 39,500 dollar trucks has less than 2 grand of toys added and is getting closer to the look of what I wanted on a budget. Still very happy with my purchase and love pulling my trailer with this vehicle.

Nitto tires, 35x12.5r20 trail grappler

Vision wheels

Old 10-19-2015, 02:01 PM
94ruck
Senior User
Here is an update look. I added 35x12.5r20 Nitto trail grapplers with the stock suspension. No rubbing. I will now hopefully move on my shocks and stabilizer. always have something to do. I haven't installed tire sensors or updated my speedo yet either. I have 1 more wheel coming to use as a spare and will move my wheel sensors over then. I am assuming I need to go to the dealer to have the change my speedo to match my tires. right now my speed is right at 10% off. With 3.31 gears that has my engine speed pretty dang low at 60 mph....Not so sure that is a good thing yet.

Light bar, lights, window tint, window covers, fender flares and new wheels and tires

Projects 1 and 2, priority changes depending on need and weather

Finally got the look i was looking for and off craigslist to boot!

Old 10-30-2015, 03:27 AM
94ruck
Senior User
35x12.5r20 Nitto trail grapplers with the stock suspension. I did have to drill a small hole in the bottom of the front wheel well liner and zip tie them to a square hole located in the front fender just under the new fender flares as they rubbed ever so slightly at full lock. No rubbing on the control arms or any where else. The truck doesn't wander around and no death wobble yet with the stock shocks and stabilizers at 16750 miles....

Old 04-20-2016, 05:23 AM
94ruck
Senior User
Havne't posted in a while. My mileage now shows 20250. However, with the big tires, i did not correct the speed so the odo mileage is probably off a bit. With the big ties, and pulling my trailer, i did notice more shift in and out of 6th until i reached higher highway speed. Did not have much of a winter so no opportunity to check the tires out on snow but did get into several wet fields. i simply locked the rear end, stuck it into 4 high and eased my way with minimal tire spin to keep the mess down.
With that said, i have mounted the "cop tires" stock stuff again as we are going to load the dirt bikes in the back this afternoon and drive to Romney W Va from Ft Worth so my son can run a qualifier for the ISDE which is held in Spain this year. Looking forward to the 2700 mile round trip and the 2 days of dirt bike racing with my boy. No issues with the truck, has sat outside its entire life with no paint issues, wipers still good, etc. I still haven't put shocks on it and I will be paying the price for that this week but just been too busy with other projects. We enjoy using the ipdo with the sync system and have dug up some old cds to play as well. I do need to track my DEF usage a little better as it seems I have added more than I should but probably about right with the mileage that is on it.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:31 PM
94ruck
Senior User
I finally got around to correcting the tire size on my ruck along with a little project that that i documented in another thread. I had been running around all summer with the stock tires on having to do several long road trips. The only frustration I have had with this truck is the lack of comfort on the ride. I finally saw the HOP thread and then the TSB regarding the bounce from 42-70 mph which is exactly what we have been suffering through. I am planning to call my dealer this week to discuss this. I have never contacted Klement Ford since I bought the truck and other than the ride, I truly have enjoyed it. I did get some led lights on the light bar the I got from Jonjen. Night is now day with those are lit up! I left the cheapy walmart light mounted and wired for day time driving lights. i never shut them off and have gone through 2 sets of bulbs which cost almost as much as the lights, lol. 29500 miles on the truck and with the new mods, the fuel economy is up over 20 percent...

Old 09-25-2016, 08:35 PM
94ruck
Senior User
A few pics of my ongoing projects. Most of the stuff has been reasonably priced. Tires and wheels from Craigslist( brand new tires with stickers on them!) Light bar from Jon, leds from amazon. Window tint from a local installer at a great price and I did the exhaust work myself ( well flo pro built it, i did the install). Tuner wasnt cheap...

Old 01-12-2017, 11:39 PM
94ruck
Senior User
27 month update, 4 months after delete and 34000 miles. Yes, not many miles per year BUT most have been either pulling my trailer or road tripping.
After rear shock change and the TSB rubber damping fix, the ride is somewhat better and about what I expected for a long bed super duty.
My Nitto tires have about 10K on them and are holding up much better than expected and they are great when pulling a heavy trailer off road. i put the truck into 4 high and pull the electric lock for the rear end and idle around everywhere with spinning all kind of mud up under my truck. The bad is the big lugs hold the mud until I get up to speed and then it flings but the wheel well flares ctach it and the mud flaps i added keep it under control.
The delete kit has performed flawlessly. i get about 16.5 with the big tires running around 78-80 on the highway and about 13 running around town. the wind and the stop lights play hell with the fuel mileage. i have gotten 20 when running 60 mph with the wind for several hundred miles but too busy to go that slow.
The interior works so well for me. No carpet and being in out out of the truck in the mud means i have to clean up but it is so easy.
i bought a ram cam for Christmas and now have a back up camera which was the only thing i really thought I missed out on when buying this truck. i use my phone in sync for nav anyway.
I love this truck and happier with the ride for sure. I am going to throw on the pizza cutter stock wheels for a road trip in the summer and see how my fuel performance changes. i have to change the tire size with my tuner when making those changes as well.
Following the guide for oil changes, have changed the fuel filters once, air filter still good as well as the coolant. no leaks on anything.
All good so far

Old 06-10-2017, 03:01 AM
94ruck
Senior User
40,000 mile update:
Tuned the tire size back to 31 inch to match the pizza cutter stock wheels and also took the tow tune out and set it back to stock. made a run back and forth to Houston and got 17 mpg running between 75 and 80 most of the way with a few small towns slowing us down. A little disappointing as I was getting close to that with the big heavy 35 inch mud tires.
No leaks, coolant or otherwise. Doesn't make or use oil. had to change the windshield wipers finally. I use some aftermarket cheapy floor matts and had to pull them out to do some deep cleanning as I was getting sand and dust inside. She cleaned right up as new in a matter of minutes.
I dont know if I like to stock tune or the tow tune better. Pulls my TT fine stock but seems to lack a little of the pep and I dont think going back to stock helped the fuel economy either.
I am changing oil when the truck tells me too. Using rotella as I have in all my vehicles. really and truly, not much to report. i dont run this truck hard or pull over 10k so probably not a great comparison for those looking at commercial use. 40,000 is low miles even for me at this point and I plan on driving this one 200k plus as I have with my older diesels.
Still happy with my purchase.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:18 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 94ruck View Post
The only frustration I have had with this truck is the lack of comfort on the ride. I finally saw the HOP thread and then the TSB regarding the bounce from 42-70 mph which is exactly what we have been suffering through. I am planning to call my dealer this week to discuss this. I have never contacted Klement Ford since I bought the truck and other than the ride, I truly have enjoyed it.
Does anyone have a link to the HOP thread mentioned above and whether the TSB is worth doing?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:26 AM
94ruck
Senior User
Old 07-04-2017, 06:56 PM
94ruck
Senior User
Pulled a 7x16 box trailer with 2 HD touring bikes from FT Worth to Cripple Creek Co this weekend. Ran around 14 mpg all the way up running 75+. The muffler is quiet enough that in cab conversations were easily heard from front to back seat. The engine braking was phenomenal in the mountains and made for relaxed driving even with the trailer. Just poked the toe/haul mode and go. No "making oil", no issues after making the 1700 mile round trip. We hit a full on Haboob on the way back but my filter is still clean. The dust and winds were fantastically spectacular but did not enjoy driving through that at dusk. Bikes loaded
Setting out
Home!

Old 07-08-2018, 06:59 PM
94ruck
Senior User
45 months and counting. Since this truck is not my daily driver, my reports are rather dull. i use the truck for pulling my toy hauler and my cargo trailers and an occasional solo trip and also for picking up material for projects. it is really not a vehicle that you want for soccer moms or running around town as even deleted, it doesn't get good city mileage. Wind really impacts the economy when on the highway and i can be running 14 mpg pulling my small trailer and turn into the wind and drop to 11 or even 10. I put the big tires on in the fall and left them on this year. They have 24000 miles and seem to be wearing evenly and slow. I was surprised that the NITT0 mud tires would last as long as they have. As fas as the truck goes, i have not had any radiator leaks, vacuum pump gasket leaks or any other issues. the change oil light notification comes on at 7500 miles or so every time. The interior still looks brand new as well as the exterior. the trucks never seen the inside of a garage and spends it life in the hot Texas sun. I need to pull up the hour meter and check hours and idling time just for giggles. i have seen several trucks over 300 K and rolling with minimal problems and i expect mine to be the same. I still have not changed the front shocks or stabilizer and I still want to. The rears helped the hopping but unloaded this truck is still, well, a truck for sure.