6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Anyone ever experience a vibration or shudder while idling between 1000 - 1500 RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:29 AM
shultzaberger
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone ever experience a vibration or shudder while idling between 1000 - 1500 RPM?

Has anyone ever experienced or know what could cause a vibration or shudder in the truck when idling in park between 1000 RPM - 1500 RPM? I didn't check to see if it was there at even higher revs. I can feel it through the steering wheel and seat and it seems to be more prominent at 1200'ish RPM.

I'm not sure if this vibration is normal or not for the 6.0's. It's not a bad vibration but as soon as you bring it up above 1000 RPM it definitely goes from no vibration to something. And this isn't the first time I've felt this vibration. I can feel it when I drive but thought that my ujoints or center carrier bearing were on the way out.

A few weeks ago I did check to make sure my down pipe wasn't rubbing anywhere.

So, I guess I'm looking for experiences from anyone who's noticed this or has dealt with or resolved it. Or to find out if it's normal for the 6.0 (i.e. - they all do this).

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2014, 02:14 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

I have a similar vibration at or just above idle. I thinks it a harmonic vibration through the tailpipe that occurs at that approx rpm.
Try pushing on the end of your exhaust pipe with your foot/shoe when it does it. Mine stops so I ignore it now.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:11 PM
tonefordays
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shultzaberger
Has anyone ever experienced or know what could cause a vibration or shudder in the truck when idling in park between 1000 RPM - 1500 RPM? I didn't check to see if it was there at even higher revs. I can feel it through the steering wheel and seat and it seems to be more prominent at 1200'ish RPM.

I'm not sure if this vibration is normal or not for the 6.0's. It's not a bad vibration but as soon as you bring it up above 1000 RPM it definitely goes from no vibration to something. And this isn't the first time I've felt this vibration. I can feel it when I drive but thought that my ujoints or center carrier bearing were on the way out.

A few weeks ago I did check to make sure my down pipe wasn't rubbing anywhere.

So, I guess I'm looking for experiences from anyone who's noticed this or has dealt with or resolved it. Or to find out if it's normal for the 6.0 (i.e. - they all do this).

Thanks!

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed my truck starting to do the same thing as you described. It only does it when the engine is cold, and once the engine is at normal operating temp, it goes away, or at least I can't notice it. I thought it might have something to do with the weather cooling down and the oil getting thicker. I'll feel the vibration in the steering wheel sitting at idle or driving, almost like something is spinning out of balance.

Based on the little bit of research I've done on this forum, I'm thinking it could be stiction in the injectors. I was planning on adding some archoil to see if it makes any difference. I have 87k on 6 of my current injectors, and about 30k on the other 2. But I'm also curious to see what the 6.0 gurus have to say this.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:13 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by tonefordays
About 2 weeks ago, I noticed my truck starting to do the same thing as you described. It only does it when the engine is cold, and once the engine is at normal operating temp, it goes away, or at least I can't notice it. I thought it might have something to do with the weather cooling down and the oil getting thicker. I'll feel the vibration in the steering wheel sitting at idle or driving, almost like something is spinning out of balance.

Based on the little bit of research I've done on this forum, I'm thinking it could be stiction in the injectors. I was planning on adding some archoil to see if it makes any difference. I have 87k on 6 of my current injectors, and about 30k on the other 2. But I'm also curious to see what the 6.0 gurus have to say this.
I think there's a difference in the "romps" with stiction and the vibration I have. When I thought I had stiction last year, I ended up with a stuck unison ring in my turbo. After the fix, no more romps.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:30 AM
shultzaberger
Senior User
Thanks everyone for the responses so far!

r2millers: Good idea on checking the exhaust system for harmonic vibrations. I'll try and talk my wife into helping me check that this weekend.

tonefordays: I actually hadn't let the truck warm up all the way and so that could very well be it. The injectors have a little over 107,000 miles on them but I am using Archoil and have been for two full oil changes. I'll get the truck good and hot and then test high idle again to see if I can feel it.

Another question that I've been having trouble searching for: What is happening with a diesel engine when it sounds like it's pinging like a gasser does? I know exactly what pinging in a gasser is but I'm not exactly sure what would cause pinging or a "can of marbles" sound when I've got a moderate load on the engine. I don't hear this sound if I'm just cruising on a flat road but I do hear it if I need to give it a bit more pedal to climb a hill. And at WOT I don't hear it.