What to do with virgin 01? Look Tugly - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with virgin 01? Look Tugly

Old 11-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
One other one I didn't draw up last night and has been on my mind is having the lights in the shape of arrows kind of. Like this: < >
Old 11-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Catastrophizing here - in the event of a light out, upper right keeps the greatest distance between the lights. Other than that, the staggered look doesn't give off the aroma of bacon for me. Is any hardware going back there, like a vise - that would block the view of any of the lights? The arrow idea is really cool, but how would that look with stops?

Here's a crazy idea: A "matrix" of lights that are square or diamond (or octagonal, if you've had your coffee) with stop, and arrow with turn.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
Catastrophizing here - in the event of a light out, upper right keeps the greatest distance between the lights. Other than that, the staggered look doesn't give off the aroma of bacon for me. Is any hardware going back there, like a vise - that would block the view of any of the lights? The arrow idea is really cool, but how would that look with stops?

Here's a crazy idea: A "matrix" of lights that are square or diamond (or octagonal, if you've had your coffee) with stop, and arrow with turn.

Nothing will be behind the truck besides a boat now and then. Will be no obstructions for anything.

I already picked up the lights, oval led's all red, no patterns just lit for running lights and all get brighter for stop/turn. I did look at the single led lights for making whatever pattern I can dream up but they aren't to cheap at $8 a pop. I can pick up more of the oval lights though if some other pattern turns a crank. Even a few of the single led $8 lights wouln't break the bank. However with the reverse lights and a couple other thin beam lights I have on the way I am already over $150 for tail lights on this thing.

And is it a diamond or rhombus?
Old 11-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
...And is it a diamond or rhombus?

I say potato....
Old 11-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Post Fiend

CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
Any ICC lights?

I like the left middle myself. And a backup alarm too, which I believe is that small box towards the middle. The 08 in my signature, which I just got on the road recently, did not have functioning backup lights. Rather than chase the problem down, there was wiring in the cab for work lights with the wires already running outside the cab. So, I ran one of those wires to the backup lights, and a separate wire to the backup alarm I installed. I can now use the backup lights for work lights if I need them. And the backup alarm I can turn it on and off when necessary. That way I don't wake the neighbors up backing in my driveway when I get home late.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Post Fiend

The little square box with the circle in the middle is the 7 pin trailer plug. The small rectangle box next to that is for the 4 pin trailer plug.

ICC lights?
Old 11-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Post Fiend

CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
Quote:
The little square box with the circle in the middle is the 7 pin trailer plug. The small rectangle box next to that is for the 4 pin trailer plug.

ICC lights?
Those are the 3 little lights you see on the back of semi trailers, dump trucks, and, legally, anything over 10,000lb ratings used commercially. On the cab of the truck, some call them cab lights, clearance lights, but they are also called ICC lights too. The 3 in the middle with one on each side. Just some of the lighting requirements from the Interstate Commerce Commission. If you don't need them, don't install them. Some states are very picky about that, Ky being one of them.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Post Fiend

Oh I see.

I did think of the 3 little lights between the tails but was unsure how good it would look because of the somewhat narrow area I have to work with. This truck won't be over 10K and isn't considered a commercial truck really so not to much worry about legality.

I did think of installing cab lights as well because of the look, not sure about that yet either.

I have two 17" thin line led lights on the way as well for the rear corners of the flatbed outside of the frame rails. I did think of getting a third one of these for in between the tail lights instead of the three little lights, but again I worried about room and getting stuff to jumbled together. The panel will be removable so if once it is all done it looks funny I can pull it back off and do more mods or rebuild it completely.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Posting Guru

scotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to behold
How about having two round LED's instead of oval. The two round lights on top of each ether far left and far right then 2 more round LED's on the inside of both lower lights for a clear back up light. If doesn't make sense, i'll try and make a drawing.

Edit: just saw you bought the ovals already. You could use the same concept though if room provided.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Post Fiend

It's a work truck, fancy-schmancy lights and lamp trade-ins won't be needed. Poor Snowseeker, he practically builds the back of a truck - and we go all sideways with ornaments. Shades of steering wheel, I say.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:57 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttahoe View Post
How about having two round LED's instead of oval. The two round lights on top of each ether far left and far right then 2 more round LED's on the inside of both lower lights for a clear back up light. If doesn't make sense, i'll try and make a drawing.

Edit: just saw you bought the ovals already. You could use the same concept though if room provided.
I understand what you are saying. Similar to the pic I posted on the page earlier, the setup on the right in the middle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
It's a work truck, fancy-schmancy lights and lamp trade-ins won't be needed. Poor Snowseeker, he practically builds the back of a truck - and we go all sideways with ornaments. Shades of steering wheel, I say.

I like some fancy in the work trucks too.

Its pretty rough over here.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Posting Guru

scotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=Snowseeker;14806253]I understand what you are saying. Similar to the pic I posted on the page earlier, the setup on the right in the middle?

I was thinking the one above it. (top right) just to the inside of the top two add two more ovals for reverse and/or work lights.

On another note have you seen these?

LED Stop/Turn/Tail/Backup Light w/ Flange - Oval - 4 State Trucks
Old 11-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Post Fiend

[QUOTE=scotttahoe;14806632]
Quote:
I understand what you are saying. Similar to the pic I posted on the page earlier, the setup on the right in the middle?

I was thinking the one above it. (top right) just to the inside of the top two add two more ovals for reverse and/or work lights.

On another note have you seen these?

LED Stop/Turn/Tail/Backup Light w/ Flange - Oval - 4 State Trucks

I haven't seen those. I would like to see them lit up though at night. the thing I notice most about led lights is they can be all over the board as far as quality/brightness. Personally I dislike the led lights where you can actually see the led's lit up in the housing which normally means there are only like 4 led's or so in the housing. To me seeing 4-8 little dots in the lens isn't very appealing. Some lights you see only have 1 or 2 leds in them and really look cheap and junky to me.

The led's I picked up so far have something like 24 leds each and when lit up look almost solid red light. I did find and order some reverse led lights which only have like 9 led's each but are the SMD led's which are supposed to be super bright and have something like 3600 lumens. I will test them before making anything for them to be on the truck. If I am not satisfied with them I will stick them on the shelf and get some halogen fog lights.

Yeah I am a pretty picky guy, my wife hates it. lol
Old 11-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Post Fiend

Got a little bit of work done today. I slopped some chassis saver on the step frame and then stuck on the cover. I also made up the "pump box"/2nd step but have to get a few things for it yet in order to complete it. I think I need to make up a filler piece for close up the gap to the cab by the step.

Almost done on this side. Yes I have to cut those studs down yet.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Posting Guru

Looking nice! I don't blame you with the lights I am too very picky on what to use. I drive a semi to haul heavy equipment and at one point I had over a thousand lights truck and trailer. Full time job their alone.