What to do with virgin 01? Look Tugly - Page 24 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with virgin 01? Look Tugly

Old 02-13-2018, 09:26 AM
Postmaster

Walleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to all
I'm an advocate for just buying new rotors over turning them anyway. First off they're really not that expensive and you do have to pay to have them turned, secondly after they're turned they don't seem to last long, thirdly there is less downtime with just throwing new ones on there.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Postmaster

brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
I'm an advocate for just buying new rotors over turning them anyway. First off they're really not that expensive and you do have to pay to have them turned, secondly after they're turned they don't seem to last long, thirdly there is less downtime with just throwing new ones on there.
I do the same now too. It was a different story with my 2wd F-150. The hub and rotor was one assembly making the price considerably more so I turned those until minimum spec before I'd buy another one.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Yes, this and my X being 2wd's we put off rotors for quite awhile as they are I believe more than twice as much as a 4x4 rotor. Lately with cuts to costs I only seem to be able to get one cut out of rotors then they go under spec. I have heard of some cheap rotors strait out of box being right at spec already.

BTW minimum tolerance is 1.417".

But yes, I typically replace the rotors when they are reasonable any time I am doing brakes. In fact many times I will replace the calipers as well as they are also usually cheap.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:06 PM
Post Fiend

z31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to allz31freakify is a name known to all
Another thought is buying new rotors, then get the old ones resurface and store, them for next go around. I have lots of set for the fleet ready to go for when they need brakes.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:12 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
Another thought is buying new rotors, then get the old ones resurface and store, them for next go around. I have lots of set for the fleet ready to go for when they need brakes.

I did/do have a small stockpile of certain parts for the OBS trucks we have as they all use the same parts. This is the only superduty we have so far and everything I have replaced on it has been junk so I haven't saved much for it yet. But I am sure things will gather over time.

I have so many caliper clips from the earlier OBS trucks. Those things used to loosen up and the caliper would start to clap all the time. We don't have any trucks that use those any more, I suppose I would toss them.