What to do with virgin 01? Look Tugly - Page 24 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

What to do with virgin 01? Look Tugly

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with virgin 01? Look Tugly

Old 02-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
I'm an advocate for just buying new rotors over turning them anyway. First off they're really not that expensive and you do have to pay to have them turned, secondly after they're turned they don't seem to last long, thirdly there is less downtime with just throwing new ones on there.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:53 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
I'm an advocate for just buying new rotors over turning them anyway. First off they're really not that expensive and you do have to pay to have them turned, secondly after they're turned they don't seem to last long, thirdly there is less downtime with just throwing new ones on there.
I do the same now too. It was a different story with my 2wd F-150. The hub and rotor was one assembly making the price considerably more so I turned those until minimum spec before I'd buy another one.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:48 PM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Yes, this and my X being 2wd's we put off rotors for quite awhile as they are I believe more than twice as much as a 4x4 rotor. Lately with cuts to costs I only seem to be able to get one cut out of rotors then they go under spec. I have heard of some cheap rotors strait out of box being right at spec already.

BTW minimum tolerance is 1.417".

But yes, I typically replace the rotors when they are reasonable any time I am doing brakes. In fact many times I will replace the calipers as well as they are also usually cheap.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:06 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Another thought is buying new rotors, then get the old ones resurface and store, them for next go around. I have lots of set for the fleet ready to go for when they need brakes.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:12 AM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
Another thought is buying new rotors, then get the old ones resurface and store, them for next go around. I have lots of set for the fleet ready to go for when they need brakes.

I did/do have a small stockpile of certain parts for the OBS trucks we have as they all use the same parts. This is the only superduty we have so far and everything I have replaced on it has been junk so I haven't saved much for it yet. But I am sure things will gather over time.

I have so many caliper clips from the earlier OBS trucks. Those things used to loosen up and the caliper would start to clap all the time. We don't have any trucks that use those any more, I suppose I would toss them.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:56 PM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Coming up on another oil change. 35K (or 30K, not quite sure right now) on the rebuild now.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:40 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
I use that Triax Fleet Supreme synthetic, and I'm happy with it.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:57 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
Coming up on another oil change. 35K (or 30K, not quite sure right now) on the rebuild now.
what got rebuilt, Snow because your opening line of this thread was, my trucks are so reliable that i dont have to do anything to them....awesome.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Snowseeker
Post Fiend
Did said oil change. 35K on the trans rebuild now!

timmyboy76 I rebuilt the transmission in this truck. My first ever.