What to do with virgin 01? Look Tugly - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with virgin 01? Look Tugly

Old 10-15-2014, 12:03 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
I was delayed getting to this. Cali truck will have a GPCM instead of the GPR, and maybe different tuning. Some had cats, but most didn't... and I don't know why or when.

If I were to lightly modify a stock truck - it would be intake for sure (Ford AIS), Hutch mod, AIH delete, plug the red line to the wastegate, dual EGT gauges, and a fuel pressure gauge.

I'm not implying you'll need the EGT gauges for hard burns that aren't going to happen - but they are a huge help to immediately tell you when something is up on one side or the other on our aging trucks. Fuel pressure is another crucial item not on the OBDII port.

There are plenty of great links in my signature for helping with scan tools and troubleshooting.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Senior User

Kamstutz is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just purchased the Ford AIS and have to wait when I'm back stateside to install it. When my son asked why I got the OEM I told him was way cheaper than his Air Raid and flowed just as much air. Plus its quieter and pulls the air from the outside. You are not far from me, Appleton. How did you come across the CA truck if you don't mind me asking? I got mine from AL.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:55 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

DP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
It has the module like the X has.

Thanks Allaboutmpg's, I'm going to check on it when I get the chance.
Just for future reference an 01 SD Cali will be a NMC1,2 or 3 or DPC-452 PCM.
Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 10-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Post Fiend

Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamstutz View Post
...You are not far from me, Appleton....

I just realized I've been there. I've driven from Minneapolis to Sturgeon Bay (via Wausau), flown into Green Bay and driven to Sturgeon Bay (customer there - I want to say Wood Orchard), and I've visited Appleton. This is taking me back a few years.

I remember talking to Snowseeker about the insane fireworks available at the truck stops. Being surrounded by desert and dry forest, local ordinances have law enforcement parachuting in for so much as a sparkler... so this is noteworthy in my world.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Kamstutz, we found and ordered the truck online. Pretty much just looked over the pics, all the features matched our needs, dealt a bit with the dealer, sent out a check and the truck showed up one day.

Thanks for the input Tugly!
Old 10-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Senior User

Kamstutz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Snowseeker that's good to know that you got a good truck.

Tugly yes fireworks and Adult toy stores every where it seems. You must have did something with the shipbuilding at Sturgeon Bay?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
I am very happy to see a plastic gas tank under the truck today! I was looking for the fabled "orange dot" on the transmission to find out if it is a diode trans or not.

I can't wait to tear into this thing! I believe I will be doing the chassis saver on this truck like the last one. The last trucks frame has been holding up great!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamstutz View Post
...Tugly yes fireworks and Adult toy stores every where it seems. You must have did something with the shipbuilding at Sturgeon Bay?

Naw... produce sorting equipment service - there's an apple packing shed up there.

Snowseeker - there's going to be pictures, aren't there?
Old 10-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Posting Guru

jspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
I am very happy to see a plastic gas tank under the truck today! I was looking for the fabled "orange dot" on the transmission to find out if it is a diode trans or not.

I can't wait to tear into this thing! I believe I will be doing the chassis saver on this truck like the last one. The last trucks frame has been holding up great!

What is this orange dot? I have an 01 that was built in late 00 and would expect to have the diode. If there is some sort of magic marking I can see it would be nice to know.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Postmaster

BadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud ofBadDogKuzz has much to be proud of
I keep coming back to this thread in hopes of seeing a virgin !!!
Need photos!!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Senior User

cclgeo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just curious, what is the issue with green coolant. I just purchased a virgin, 88,000 mile dually in San Diego. I have all the records, and have not gone through them all yet, but truck was maintained through an exteneded warranty with original dealership. I noticed it had green coolent, I know there is different coolants, is there one more recommended for diesels.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Post Fiend

husker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant futurehusker has a brilliant future
If it has the green coolant, it is probably the original coolant or a similar replacement. Most here go with an extended life coolant with the correct additives when they do a coolant flush. I recently made the change in my truck. The coolant in there now is more of a reddish orange.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:47 AM
Post Fiend

Yes, the green coolant is fine if you monitor it yearly or so and keep up on the additives and stuff for diesels. The elc already has everything in it for the diesel and lasts nearly forever.

That is just a surface dusting of rust, perfect base for chassis saver!

Look at this mess, there is even phone wire in there!

Box is nice! It will go into storage since we won't be needing it for this truck.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Posting Guru

Tailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud of
I agree with most everything said here, and would add doing a HPX crossover (oil). It's only $60 from Riff Raff. As far as the FrX mentioned...while I love mine, it is a bit more expensive, so if it comes down to money, I would do HPX first. My mods in order would be something like AIS, Zoodad mod, AIH delete, HPX, Bellowed up pipes, exhaust. Plus what's coming next...

MORE IMPORTANTLY, you mentioned you had a knock or cackle on #8. Even if you didn't, you should pull the valve covers and ohm all of your glow plugs, replace the ones that need it, and then TORQUE YOUR INJECTORS and rocker arms to spec. Very important. And while there, might as well do the .50 cent mod on the harnesses.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:04 PM
Post Fiend

Couple better pics.