Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What to do with virgin 01? Look Tugly

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 07:08 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Well, lets hope that the seal IS bad so I don't have to make the "should I or shouldn't I" decision. lol

Old 10-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Cobalt Coupe
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Well, lets hope that the seal IS bad so I don't have to make the "should I or shouldn't I" decision. lol
I have to say, I'm with you on this one. I hate the thought of "disturbing" a seal or anything that looks perfectly fine as is when there's a chance of creating a problem by trying to fix something that is not a problem.

Tough call though......................

Old 10-10-2015, 10:30 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Snap a shot and post it up!!! Not that my eyes can see a seal that might or might not be on it's way out. lol.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:51 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I will definitely get pics when I get it apart. The truck is here but I was working on the drains on the tank on the back of the truck that were having a problem as well. Should have that finished up today though so monday I can yank the trans out and see whats going on in that housing finally.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Name:  ZnDOphq.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  1.54 MB

Name:  EXbhMMx.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  646.4 KB

I drained the trans and converter and stuff.

Name:  0lydPV0.jpg
Size:  437.7 KB

Old 10-13-2015, 07:17 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Stupid little headed u-joint cap bolts...

Name:  JNnHN37.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  598.8 KB

Old 10-15-2015, 07:52 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Popped the oil pan off yesterday...

While poking around trying to find the source of thee leaks I found that the rear 3 bolts on the oil pan were loose. I tightened them up and then sat and pondered for awhile. I was trying to decide is just tightening up the bolts would squish the gasket enough to seal up and not leak any more. But after much thinking it over I decided to just seal the pan right and not have to worry about it. So I unbolted it, pulled it out, and cleaned up all the surfaces. I am going to chassis saver the outside of the pan today to help preserve it a bit longer from rust and then maybe slip it back in.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:41 PM
Cobalt Coupe
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Popped the oil pan off yesterday...

I decided to just seal the pan right and not have to worry about it. So I unbolted it, pulled it out, and cleaned up all the surfaces. I am going to chassis saver the outside of the pan today to help preserve it a bit longer from rust and then maybe slip it back in.

You seem pretty well versed in tearing into these trucks - how big of a job/hassle was it to pull the trans and then the engine oil pan with the engine in VS. pulling the engine out to replace the oil pan ?

After patching the sump area, which is still holding 100% leak free for over four years now, mine is starting to leak ( rusting thru ) above the frame now and even if I wanted to try to patch it, there's no way to get up in there to do it and it just has to be replaced pretty soon.

I have heard trying to caulk the pan back on with the ford sealant is tricky with the engine not upside down because it's hard to keep oil from getting into the sealant before it cures. I plan to use the Moroso 1 pc gasket so other than maybe some sealant in the corners that shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, just looking for another opinion on the easiest/best way to replace the oil pan.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Cobalt Coupe
You seem pretty well versed in tearing into these trucks - how big of a job/hassle was it to pull the trans and then the engine oil pan with the engine in VS. pulling the engine out to replace the oil pan ?

After patching the sump area, which is still holding 100% leak free for over four years now, mine is starting to leak ( rusting thru ) above the frame now and even if I wanted to try to patch it, there's no way to get up in there to do it and it just has to be replaced pretty soon.

I have heard trying to caulk the pan back on with the ford sealant is tricky with the engine not upside down because it's hard to keep oil from getting into the sealant before it cures. I plan to use the Moroso 1 pc gasket so other than maybe some sealant in the corners that shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, just looking for another opinion on the easiest/best way to replace the oil pan.

This is a 2wd truck so pulling the trans is relatively easy and fast. From there lifting the motor and pulling the pan was the same as every other pan I ever did on a ford. It is a pita job now matter what way you do it. I just find doing it in the truck is faster, not so much easier. The time to have done this job was when I had the cab off not long ago.

Name:  uJXNtBi.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  530.9 KB

I was looking at removing the seal when I had a thought probably the same as many of you, may as well pull the rear cover and reseal that as well at this point.

Name:  fl2TWF5.jpg
Size:  560.2 KB

Pan cleaned and chassis savered. lol
Name:  EXHPKeA.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  349.3 KB

Old 10-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Cobalt Coupe
Freshman User
So is there enough play/slack in everything up top to lift the engine up enough ( looks like you've got a 2x4 under each mount ) to get the pan off or do you have to disconnect a bunch of stuff up top anyway ?

Do you have to unbolt the oil pump pick up and sneak it out BEFORE you can get the pan out of there ?

Other than having the transfer case on the back of the trans, is the 4x4 frame ( or anything else ) different than a 2wd frame - making the 4x4 harder to get the pan out of there ?

This is probably going to be a spring project for me, just trying to get myself prepared for it.

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I believe the 4x4 cross member is nearly identical.

Yes the pick up tube needs to be unbolted before the pan will slide out and in.

Yes 2x4 under each mount brings the turbo right up to the little pocket in the cowl. I didn't have to unhook anything besides the radiator fan shroud.

Name:  oFAtChh.jpg
Size:  1.58 MB

Name:  6uck3sa.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  508.8 KB

Old 10-15-2015, 06:40 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
The main seal does look pretty rough and there is a good groove in the crank. New seals come with a crank sleeve that presses on.

Name:  gfViYmj.jpg
Size:  417.3 KB

Old 10-15-2015, 07:03 PM
Cobalt Coupe
Freshman User
Thanks for the info and all the pics Snowseeker - keep it coming please

Old 10-16-2015, 05:06 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Old 10-16-2015, 06:48 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Its a surprise this thing held anything back.

Name:  lK4SSpC.jpg
Size:  575.5 KB

Quick Reply: What to do with virgin 01? Look Tugly