1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Help!!!! New member buffeting issue with windows up!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:20 AM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Dang.

And its probably wise to keep things vague and out of the public view....for now anyway.

When you can do so, an update would be appreciated.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:21 PM
transjam2001
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree with JWA. It is an issue. Would you like to hear someone scraping their fingernails on a chalkboard all day? Even though the sounds are totally unrelated it is still a matter of passenger comfort. My 1988 E-350 does the same thing and I have learned to tune it out but it shouldn't be there at all. Just sayin'.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:01 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by transjam2001
I disagree with JWA. It is an issue. Would you like to hear someone scraping their fingernails on a chalkboard all day? Even though the sounds are totally unrelated it is still a matter of passenger comfort. My 1988 E-350 does the same thing and I have learned to tune it out but it shouldn't be there at all. Just sayin'.
You're welcome to disagree with anybody about anything for any reason any time at all----not a problem for me or others I hope.

When this issue is resolved--and assuming we're kept up-to-date on that resolution---we'll know more about this. My only point was and remains the relatively few reports (here on FTE) of this particular condition makes this rare. Perhaps for that reason its cause or eventual fix aren't very well known.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:24 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by transjam2001
The difference here is that your van is an antique (25 years old gets you an antique plate in Mich) and the OP is working with a brand new van and will suffer a big loss if he has to sell out with no help from Ford.

I have had 5 big vans over the years and none of this sounds familiar. If someone could actually help us understand the origin of this phenom--whether this is a noise thing or an air pressure thing for example, it would be helpful.

I do not doubt the OP, as he has had vans before, but am left wondering as to what is going on.

George

Old 12-21-2014, 09:03 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
As this thread winds on we who own or have owned Ford vans are indeed curious what's going on. Not only is the issue itself interesting but what Ford or anyone else does about it is equally interesting.

As much as I'm the one with somewhat negative comments I believe the OP is experiencing something with his van. Because this is a new van and cost a lot of $$$$$ along this being a very rare thing, one not seemingly easily cured I'm very hopeful this is completely resolved in OP's favor.

Having owned more than a few vans of different eras, brands and even years I've done enough interior modifications to be fairly well versed in the overall construction of the bodies---amazingly very, very similar all across the board. Along with having owned a body shop and now in the auto glass replace/repair business how this is occurs is quite the puzzle to me.

Considering how new this van's age only adds to the puzzle---this body style is now 22 years old.

I would advise OP---and am sure he's ahead of me here---to NOT post pending actions especially in light of the earlier revelation a dealer or service writer is viewing this very thread. Such conversations need to be kept private because as they say: "what you say can and will be used against you......"

Best of luck OP---share what you can as it suits you.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:13 PM
canoe86
Freshman User
Hello everyone,

Wanted to give a quick update on where this stands at the moment.

Ford maintains there is nothing wrong, and the noise is normal. The van was checked again by a Ford regional service manager, who did hear the noise, said it probably wouldn't bother him, and then wrote it up as no problem found.

Now, it has moved to an independent testing phase. As I said to my rep. , the noise is there, the effect is there, it will be measurable.

Will keep everyone posted as it moves forward.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:17 PM
canoe86
Freshman User
Wanted to add after reviewing a few older posts....... no cause of this phenomenon can be found, at least by Ford.

Of course since they hire only the hard of hearing, ( no disrespect to the true hard of hearing, my comment is a snarky quip. ) I'm starting to wonder about their diagnosis ability too.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:24 PM
WarrensE350
Tuned
What a journey. I thought maybe that would be a wrap-up post but the issue continues...

Old 02-24-2015, 03:34 PM
canoe86
Freshman User
Originally Posted by WarrensE350
What a journey. I thought maybe that would be a wrap-up post but the issue continues...
Sorry.

Figured I needed to at least do some sort of update. I've only brushed the surface of what has gone on, but when this is all over, i'll put on a detailed post.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:57 PM
WarrensE350
Tuned
Originally Posted by canoe86
Sorry.

Figured I needed to at least do some sort of update. I've only brushed the surface of what has gone on, but when this is all over, i'll put on a detailed post.
Hey, I'm following this until you stop posting. I'm curious about this, and want to see the final chapter written.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:34 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the update, Canoe, and sorry for your continued problems. I have to believe that it is a real problem given that even the Ford guy said he could hear it but that it "wouldn't bother him"...which sounds more like the company line than his personal one. It's a pity that you don't know someone in the higher ups at Ford.

If you are working with an attorney, make sure you document that your problem has been acknowledged but deemed "OK" by the Ford regional rep.

Who are you having do "independent testing" for you?

Good luck,
George

Old 02-26-2015, 06:48 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Subscribing.

This reminds me of the 03 F 350 Ford had to buy back from me After a long battle like this

Old 02-26-2015, 08:09 PM
canoe86
Freshman User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Thanks for the update, Canoe, and sorry for your continued problems. I have to believe that it is a real problem given that even the Ford guy said he could hear it but that it "wouldn't bother him"...which sounds more like the company line than his personal one. It's a pity that you don't know someone in the higher ups at Ford.

If you are working with an attorney, make sure you document that your problem has been acknowledged but deemed "OK" by the Ford regional rep.

Who are you having do "independent testing" for you?

Good luck,
George
I will share this......I have had testing done but may need another test. First one was proof positive this is real.

George, if you or anyone for that matter, knows of an testing company in Michigan or northern Ohio or Indiana, I would appreciate a recommendation.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:10 PM
canoe86
Freshman User
Originally Posted by skuzzybucket
Subscribing.

This reminds me of the 03 F 350 Ford had to buy back from me After a long battle like this
How long did it take?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:14 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by canoe86
How long did it take?
I owned the truck 16 months. Ford had the truck 101 days.
I lost $6,000 in the deal, but I was glad to have the truck gone.

I did go through the BBB in the end. Ford rep fought me the whole way, even after the judge made the decision.

In the end, I wound up being barred from 2 of the Ford dealers in the area.
This by no means ran me off from being a Ford fan, I still own mostly all Ford products

Quick Reply: Help!!!! New member buffeting issue with windows up!!