1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Big boy truck info...help educate me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big boy truck info...help educate me.

Ok guys. I've been searching all over the place and have found some info but not many specifics. I posted in a different thread a couple weeks ago about some of the larger trucks and I would like you guys to help educate me on these. I know we all like talking so here's your chance. I've seen many times people saying get rid of the "widow makers" but I'll be honest, I don't know if any of these trucks have them. So I googled "ford f5" and came up with these pics. Not all are F5's I don't think but again you guys can tell me. I put a little info on each pic but if you guys will, put me a little info under one or all of the pics and tell me exactly what I'm looking at. I'd like to know more about the bigger trucks because I may end up having to sell my truck to build me a little house. Instead of buying another F350 powerstroke like I used to have, I thought when the time came to pull something I'd go the old truck route. I just don't for the life of me see how they pull with the same flathead I have or even the flat 6?????? We are talking 100 hp. Lots I need to know so fire away. And thanks for the help!!

Just for info purposes I'm looking at building me a "tiny house" to live in. I've been in the Architecture business all my life now and am very interested in these. I will not be pulling this thing all over the place like an RV. I would however like to be able to pull it say 2-3 hours (roughly 200 miles) to the beach once or twice a year for a weeks trip. It's all flat down here so giant hills wouldn't be a problem. I would also like to turn this into a new business venture for myself. The models below are what I've been working on using Sketchup. I'm still working on it so its not quite finished yet. Creating 3D models and construction drawings are part of my thoughts on the business as well as constructing them for people.

This is one of my favorites. Great color combo and like the wheels.

I really like the short stubby look. It's kinda tall though and looks like it may be on a different chassis???

Love the colors on this one.

Beauty but too long for me.

Agian I like the shorter looking chassis.

Like all of this one except the dump bed wouldn't be for me. I'd rather have a flat bed on it.

Very cool COE. I wouldn't need that type of hitch.

This is a nice looking truck but I'm again confused on what chassis/wheels those are.

My other favorite. This would be perfect.

My proposed design of a 24' tiny house.

I cut a partial section thru so you all could see inside. It's small but it beats what I have right now which is nothing.

Close to what I'm hoping to build. I do not know those people.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:13 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Love the pics of the trucks. Every one, nicer then the next

Old 10-09-2014, 04:15 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
If I am reading you right, you have two basic questions.

This picture clearly shows the raised band on the concave side of the Widowmaker. It is the identifying feature that stands out. I see the widowmakers on some of the trucks and some are not possible for me to ID.

Pulling a trailer. These old truck will pull it if you have all the horses working. They will not pull a sizable trailer fast. It is all about gearing. With gear ratios in the 5:1--6:1 range it is just not going to be very fast. These trucks had GVWRs of between 10,000 and 16,500 lbs and then if you get into the Big Jobs, the GVWR goes up more. I did not see any widowmakers on the Big Job trucks you show.
Hope this is the kind of information you seek. Sounds like a plan.

Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2014, 04:34 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Agree, most of the F-5/6s have widow makers, at least from what we can see from the pics. The F-7/8 has Dayton style "demountable" wheels with Goodyear style split side ring/locking ring outer rims.

Modern roads and traffic make use of older big trucks a challenge. Slow acceleration from a stop achieving road speed, top speeds less than demanded by moden traffic, and brakes designed for the conditions of an old era will make you a rolling road block. Occasional use off major roads would be my view. Stu

Old 10-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
What they said. ^^

Most of the "too long" beds are the 12 foot beds and longer wheelbases, and the "shorter" ones you like are the 9 foot beds. Looks like those "tall" trucks are 4WD, possibly Marmon Harrington.

The 226 I6 flathead has only 95 hp but has 185 pounds feet of torque at 1500 rpm (for 1951). Ford Flathead Six 1949 to 51

Trust me when I tell you that you can pull stumps with it. But top speed is about 45mph.

The F4 is normally the 9 foot bed and shorter wheelbase truck of the duallys. Mine has the 10,000 pound GVWR upgrade. I don't know if you could get the F5 and higher with a 9 foot bed.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:26 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
What they said. ^^

Most of the "too long" beds are the 12 foot beds and longer wheelbases, and the "shorter" ones you like are the 9 foot beds. Looks like those "tall" trucks are 4WD, possibly Marmon Harrington.

The 226 I6 flathead has only 95 hp but has 185 pounds feet of torque at 1500 rpm (for 1951). Ford Flathead Six 1949 to 51

Trust me when I tell you that you can pull stumps with it. But top speed is about 45mph.

The F4 is normally the 9 foot bed and shorter wheelbase truck of the duallys. Mine has the 10,000 pound GVWR upgrade. I don't know if you could get the F5 and higher with a 9 foot bed.
Joe, the F5 and F6 were available in 134"WB 9' bed 158"WB 12' bed and 176" WB 14' bed

Old 10-10-2014, 12:16 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like everything your planning on doing.
I too have built small portable houses.
They can be a lot of fun. Your plan is to
pull the house as a trailer and to not haul
it on the truck, right?

Old 10-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I like everything your planning on doing.
I too have built small portable houses.
They can be a lot of fun. Your plan is to
pull the house as a trailer and to not haul
it on the truck, right?
Thanks! Yes it will be built on the trailer. It will mostly be stationary but as mentioned above, I can take it somewhere for a week or two OR if life throws me another curve (which is to be expected) I can move my house without too much trouble. From the responses I'm getting though it seems like the old truck route is a bad idea....even though one pic is showing one pulling a full box "semi trailer"...can't reconcile that in my head. Seems like I could go 55 or 60 down the road but I guess not.
My point though was to get info on the F4's and F5's mainly. I was hoping someone would give me what all was available when (engines, trannys, rear ends, cab/chassis, dual rear wheels, etc).

Old 10-10-2014, 01:01 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am pretty sure you could re-gear the the drive axle
and get 55 or 60 with the flat motor. As you said most
of the roads you will be on going to the sunny beach are
flat. A duel res master cyl. and trailer brakes would also
be a plus. A 3 or 4 speed brownie trans would also give
ya much needed gearing as well. Sounds like a hell of a
lot of fun. I would do it if I had it to do just like this. With
maybe a diesel up front.