Sponsored by: Moser

Catalytic Converter Curiosity

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Green Gem
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Converter Curiosity

My 2012 5.0 litre has had three catalytic converters and one O2 sensor replaced. Are there others who have had this problem?

Thanks

Green Gem

Old 10-09-2014, 05:20 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Let me get this straight, you've had this issue with Ford and three dealers: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-service.html and now your saying that you've had three cats and a sensor replaced?

Old 10-09-2014, 05:53 AM
Green Gem
Junior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Let me get this straight, you've had this issue with Ford and three dealers: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-service.html and now your saying that you've had three cats and a sensor replaced?
tseekins,

I don't quite understand what you are asking. My difficulty with dealers and Ford customer service was for the A/C issue. I did have to go back twice for the first cat, because, they ordered in the one for the wrong side.

The truck being in for its first cat was why I had them check the A/C for the first time at the second dealer. After having to floor the truck to avoid being taken out by an oncoming vehicle it coded a cat code. I don't remember the code, but it should be in my old posts.

When it was replaced, I fueled the truck when home and on restart, it coded for the O2 sensor.

After that, all was good until we took a long drive. When home, I fueled the truck. As soon as it was restarted, it coded for two catalytic converters. I think that they were replaced on the last visit to dealer two.

Since the dealer fueled the truck when I purchased it, it has only been fueled at one and only one Shell gas station. Other than fueling once with about $40.00 worth of Shell high test (after the first cat or the O2 sensor) it has always burned Shell regular.

Touch wood, the converters have behaved since. That said, it took the originals over a year and a half to act up.

When I asked this question earlier, I found cat problems with some ecoboost engines, but not with 5.0 litres. I'm just trying to find out if others have shown up since or if a cause is known. I don't know if this is even a real problem or a computer glitch.

This post is not to bash anybody, it is just to see if my truck stands alone with this issue.

Does that answer your question?

Take Care

Green Gem

Old 10-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
It's rare for converters to fail on their own, there's almost always another root cause that causes them to fail. If you look at the diagnostic tree for a catalyst inefficiency code you'll find replacement of the converter dead last in about a 20-step process.

Sounds to me like your dealer didn't do any troubleshooting to determine what actually caused the converters to fail. If that's the case they will fail again.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Green Gem
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tom
It's rare for converters to fail on their own, there's almost always another root cause that causes them to fail. If you look at the diagnostic tree for a catalyst inefficiency code you'll find replacement of the converter dead last in about a 20-step process.

Sounds to me like your dealer didn't do any troubleshooting to determine what actually caused the converters to fail. If that's the case they will fail again.
Tom,

I don't know exactly what the dealer checked other than the codes. I had given them the codes before booking the truck in, but I of course, had to take it to them to read also. When it coded for the two converters at the same time, they live streamed the information to Ford engineering. Ford said to replace them both, but nobody tells you why or what the actual issue was.

My truck gets serviced at my friend's shop, he uses the Valvoline Full Synthetic oil that I take to him (I have it measured to Ford's capacity spec.) and the Ford oil filter I bring as well. My services are done at 60% on the service setting.

When the truck was in last week, we (I'm allowed in his shop - still licenced as a mechanic/tech), pulled the tags of of the converters.

Converter one read like this:

TAG

VDL34-5G218-D*

TAG722376

Converter two read like this:

ADD

VDL34-5E214-D*

ADD618??S Note: ?? means can't read

I don't know if either is an upgraded number or which tag was on which side. Actually, I was surprised that the tags had not been removed.

Why I question a possible computer glitch is because of other things like my A/C, a dash that will change screens on its own and a seat that changes position. I'm still not sure if it is me that causes the seat issue some how. The only known computer change I'm aware of is the one to correct the transmission's low speed gear hunting.

It certainly does not look like this is a common issue and I sure hope that the cats don't fail again.

Take Care

Green Gem