Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbo Pedestal and Fuel Clean Throwing Codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 12:45 PM
luvatruck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Pedestal and Fuel Clean Throwing Codes

I've got a 2000 7.3L that I brought into the shop with problems with the engine surging at idle. Especially in park, the tachometer dips down for a second and it sounds like the engine will stall. This also happens at stop signs.

I brought the truck in for this problem specifically and had both under cover valve harnesses replaced along with a number 3 injector because both no.8 and no.3 codes were being pulled up. At the same time, I knew that the turbo pedestal was leaking and sticking during cold weather so I decided to go with the NON EPBV delete. I did not have a resistor to fool the solenoid at the time so at the moment it is open. Regardless, I was told that I would still not get a SES light and it would only store a soft code.

Meanwhile, I got some bad fuel so the shop dropped the tank and flushed out all of the lines with 350 degree water several times, replaced the fuel sending unit inside the tank and and the filter under the hood.

I picked up the truck today and now SES light is on (which was not before) with about 10 codes. I don't have them all in front of me but some of them are p1280 p0472, p0237, p0198......

Any idea what the heck would have caused this? The mechanic says that it is because I don't have the resistor hooked up to the EPBV solenoid to fool it but many have told me that this will not cause it to throw a code, and certainly not all of those codes. Would any of the work the shop did, such as blowing water through the fuel lines, have caused this to happen? It has to be something simple to go from just a no.3 and no.8 injector code to about 10 codes. We also looked at the main wire harness on top of the driver side valve cover and all of the pins look good inside of the connector.

As far as the surging at idle, I have already replaced the TPS and it did not improve. We also put on a new CPS (grey). If the new CPS were bad, would it really cause all of those codes and an SES?

Old 10-08-2014, 04:13 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Clear

Think i would start with clearing all of the codes, then go for a ride and see what comes back. With all the work that's been done, hard to say at what point those were thrown.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:16 PM
luvatruck
New User
So I have been doing some reading and have come across something interesting. It seems that most people are in agreement that eliminating the waste gate on the turbo pedestal will only store a soft code. However, a few others have said that an SES will come on and that it can be for two reasons.

1. I need to use an EBPV eliminator that plugs right in to the abandoned electrical component of the EBPV or

2. There is an overboost above 24 lbs due to eliminating the waste gate and I need to use an overboost eliminator that works like a release valve to keep the PCM from defueling.

I'm inclined to believe number two because I have so many codes but I think I'll start with the EBPV eliminator by using a resistor first since that should probably be done regardless.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Doesn't seem like I should be getting more boost by just eliminating the waste gate.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Justin Jantzen
Freshman User
I agree with onelionhunter. After pulling an injecter and all the associated steps you'll have a list of codes a mile long. They need to be cleared and then see what comes back.

As far as the EBPV setting SES or not, I have a federal truck and no light. My buddy has a CA truck and his turns on the light. There might be more to it but that's my experience.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:38 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Clear the codes and start over. What are you reading the codes with? Did the dealer tell you that or do you have a code reader? Discount the batteries if you reader won't clear them. That will clear the codes.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:41 AM
luvatruck
New User
Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your input. I have not done most of this work but brought it into a local shop. I assumed the guy cleared the codes after all this work but I can't be certain. I'm waiting on a resistor to complete the circuit on the abandoned EBPV connector and then I will do as you say and disconnect the batteries and start from scratch. I'll get back in a couple of days to you.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 AM
luvatruck
New User
Problem Solved- Kind of

So it turns out that I solved the "mystery" of all the codes that were being thrown. As I mentioned, I brought the truck in for some work including removal of the waste gate on the turbo and installation of the garret ebpv delete. When I picked the truck up it had about 10 codes and the guy argued with me for about an hour telling me it was because he eliminated the waste gate.

Turns out... the *******es did not plug a wire harness back in. How did i find this out? I was going to tape a resistor into the "abandoned" electrical connector for the epbv but it was plugged in. What was NOT plugged in was a wiring harness that was dangling from the very top left of the hood and plugs in to the connector kind of near what I think the high pressure valve outlet is above and in front of the air conditioning unit. (Sorry I have no idea what this is). I plugged it back in and the the SES light went off. Imagine that!

The only problem that is not fixed is the surging at idle and especially park. I'm going to post a video of the tachometer soon. Love this site. Thanks for everyones' help.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:05 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
looks like someone tried the "unplugging of the MAP" to fix an overboost cel light, and left it unplugged. Good catch!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:12 AM
luvatruck
New User
Now I get it. Just looked up the location of the MAP sensor and that was definitely what was unplugged so thanks. Now I just have to fix this surging problem still!