6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 F350/Issues..Turbo/Smells/Shutter/Death Wobble/Transmission/…with VIDEO!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 F350/Issues..Turbo/Smells/Shutter/Death Wobble/Transmission/…with VIDEO!!

Well you all may have remembered me from such posts as “Rear sway bar install on a F350 with 20” wheels!” https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1070522-rear-sway-bar-install-on-a-f350-with-20-wheels-pictures.html and “Bilstein 5100 Shock install with VIDEO!!!” https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1107967-bilstein-5100-shock-install-with-video.html

My truck:2011 F350, Short Bed,6.7L diesel, 18,800 miles, Built in early Oct 2010.

I have been quiet and lurking on the Forum as I was dealing with a ton of warranty issues with my truck. I think I have worked through most of them, and wanted to pass on my experiences to help you all get your trucks fixed correctly.

A.Transmission“Shift” Flare – Many people have experienced different shifting issues withtheir 2011-2012 F-350/250s. Mine was having a problem deciding on shifting from 2<sup>nd</sup>to 3<sup>rd</sup> and 4<sup>th</sup> to 5<sup>th</sup> gear when going slow. I work on a military installation, so I HAVE to drive fairly slow(Under 40 mph) most of the time, so it’s a glaring issue for me.

Fixes tried:

Reprogrammed Power Train Module (PCM) TSB 11-8-24 (No change/Not fixed)

1. Installed new solenoids in transmission TSB 11-7-10 (No change/Not fixed)

2. Replaced Torque Converter assembly with new flywheel (90 Percent/Fixed, still not perfect, but livable)

B. DeathWobble:

Fixes tried:

1. Replaced looseTrac-barball joint and bushing (90 percent better)

C.Exhaust smell in cab of truck during Regen (While backing up)

Fixes tried:

1. I performed TSB11-6-22 and reconnected the Exhaust Pressure Sensor Tube myself. It was completely OFF!! I need to thank “Fat Tire” for posting a picture of his tube, and how to fix it. If anyone knows him, please pass this on to him! I owe him!<o></o

D. Turboflutter/TruckShutters (DURING REGEN) – While I am cruising between 50-60 mph during an exhaust regeneration going up a slight incline the truck shutters/clattersasif it’s misfiring.

Fixes tried:

1. Reprogrammed PowerTrain Module (PCM) TSB 11-8-24 (No change/Not fixed)

2. Replaced all the exhaust valves on the driver’s cylinder head. TSB 13-5-17 (Fixed) Note:This procedure entails removing the cab off the chassis, so make sure the mechanic who performs the work has done it before, and is good. I asked the question and spoke to the mechanic beforehand.

E. Turboflutter/Truck Shutters (NOT DURING REGEN) – While I am cruising between 50-60 mph up a slight incline the truck shutters as if its misfiring (STILL). See VIDEO (Watch the boost gauge bounce/flutter)

Fixes tried:

1. Reprogrammed PowerTrain Module (PCM) TSB 13-4-3 (No change/Not fixed)

2.A. The Ford Mechanic rode in my truck with his laptop was plugged into the truck’s diagnostic plug, and data logged the truck shuttering. He said “Bad turbo” immediately.

2.B. Replaced entire turbo assembly (TSB 11-12-14) (Still testing, just got the truck back)

VERY IMPORTANT: Problem C and D were happening at the same time, so when I got one fixed, I had to figure out that I still had a new problem and they were NOT related! This is probably driving people crazy!

Conclusion: So there you have it, my main issues over the past 3 years. If it wasn’t for the amazing people on this forum, and a local Ford dealership (Ed Kenley Ford, Layton, Utah) that was willing to perform work on my truck based on the TSB info I bought them, I would have been driving a different brand truck long ago.It’s hard for a dealership to figure out what is wrong with a truck if the computer NEVER shows an error code or displays a CEL. Mine NEVER did. So again, Ed Kenley Ford was amazing! Are my problems over, probably not, but the truck keeps getting better!

If you have questions, please let me know, but be patient on my response. Again, I work on a military installation and can’t log into the forum for some damn reason!! So, my responses will be at night or on the weekend.

Last edited by Big-Sarge; 10-07-2014 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Cut and paste did not work correctly..made changes
Old 10-07-2014, 09:18 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Glad to hear that you have made progress and that you have a very good Dealer service department going to bat for you.
I am not sure I would have been able to be so patient for so long.
Hope things continue to improve for you and your truck.
Beautiful area you are in. I was born at Hill AFB many years ago....
Pat

Old 10-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Warndbqe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this is similar to your experience with truck flutter up an incline during regen but my new 2015 350 truck speed was 60 in cruise control and in 6th up a long incline. Took it out of cruise control, maintained manual pedal pressure, truck downshifted to 5th and flutter ceased. The same exact circumstances have not repeated. I have not had the same issue when not in regen. Truck had approximately 5k miles at the time.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:08 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
My 2013 has not had any issues. I guess they learned some of this stuff you had to go through after purchase.
Glad you are finally getting it all fixed and near the end.

Shame to have to go through that.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:57 AM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Thanks for the kind words.

It has been frustrating at times, but I am going to stick it out, I love my Superduty. And heck, after Ford is done fixing all the problems, I will have a new truck....one part at a time!!

Last edited by Big-Sarge; 10-08-2014 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Cut and paste in the editor doesn't work very well.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:27 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,024 Likes on 2,203 Posts
Big Sarge...I watched your Bilstein shock video. I knew I was going to install them anyway, but was excited while they were being shipped and I was WAITING. Your video helped the wait . Glad you stopped in and I encourage you to do it more often...

Old 10-08-2014, 10:41 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Sarge
...Ed Kenley Ford was amazing!...
I'm glad to see that your dealership took great care of you, Big-Sarge! If you'd like, I'd be happy to get your feedback documented in our system for review. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, dealership info, and any specifics you'd like me to include.

Crystal

Old 10-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Crystal..PM sent..Thank you!!

It has only been two days and 100 miles...but the new Turbo seems to have fixed the surging problem!!!!

Old 10-10-2014, 08:49 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crystal..PM sent..Thank you!!

It has only been two days and 100 miles...but the new Turbo seems to have fixed the surging problem!!!!
I got it and responded, Big-Sarge; thanks for reaching out!

Crystal

Old 10-10-2014, 09:20 PM
wharrell
Tuned

Well you all may have remembered me from such posts as “Rear sway bar install on a F350 with 20” wheels!” https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1070522-rear-sway-bar-install-on-a-f350-with-20-wheels-pictures.html and “Bilstein 5100 Shock install with VIDEO!!!” https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1107967-bilstein-5100-shock-install-with-video.html

My truck:2011 F350, Short Bed,6.7L diesel, 18,800 miles, Built in early Oct 2010.

I have been quiet and lurking on the Forum as I was dealing with a ton of warranty issues with my truck. I think I have worked through most of them, and wanted to pass on my experiences to help you all get your trucks fixed correctly.

A.Transmission“Shift” Flare – Many people have experienced different shifting issues withtheir 2011-2012 F-350/250s. Mine was having a problem deciding on shifting from 2<sup>nd</sup>to 3<sup>rd</sup> and 4<sup>th</sup> to 5<sup>th</sup> gear when going slow. I work on a military installation, so I HAVE to drive fairly slow(Under 40 mph) most of the time, so it’s a glaring issue for me.

Fixes tried:

Reprogrammed Power Train Module (PCM) TSB 11-8-24 (No change/Not fixed)

1. Installed new solenoids in transmission TSB 11-7-10 (No change/Not fixed)

2. Replaced Torque Converter assembly with new flywheel (90 Percent/Fixed, still not perfect, but livable)

B. DeathWobble:

Fixes tried:

1. Replaced looseTrac-barball joint and bushing (90 percent better)

C.Exhaust smell in cab of truck during Regen (While backing up)

Fixes tried:

1. I performed TSB11-6-22 and reconnected the Exhaust Pressure Sensor Tube myself. It was completely OFF!! I need to thank “Fat Tire” for posting a picture of his tube, and how to fix it. If anyone knows him, please pass this on to him! I owe him!<o></o

D. Turboflutter/TruckShutters (DURING REGEN) – While I am cruising between 50-60 mph during an exhaust regeneration going up a slight incline the truck shutters/clattersasif it’s misfiring.

Fixes tried:

1. Reprogrammed PowerTrain Module (PCM) TSB 11-8-24 (No change/Not fixed)

2. Replaced all the exhaust valves on the driver’s cylinder head. TSB 13-5-17 (Fixed) Note:This procedure entails removing the cab off the chassis, so make sure the mechanic who performs the work has done it before, and is good. I asked the question and spoke to the mechanic beforehand.

E. Turboflutter/Truck Shutters (NOT DURING REGEN) – While I am cruising between 50-60 mph up a slight incline the truck shutters as if its misfiring (STILL). See VIDEO (Watch the boost gauge bounce/flutter)

20141002 142946 - YouTube

Fixes tried:

1. Reprogrammed PowerTrain Module (PCM) TSB 13-4-3 (No change/Not fixed)

2.A. The Ford Mechanic rode in my truck with his laptop was plugged into the truck’s diagnostic plug, and data logged the truck shuttering. He said “Bad turbo” immediately.

2.B. Replaced entire turbo assembly (TSB 11-12-14) (Still testing, just got the truck back)

VERY IMPORTANT: Problem C and D were happening at the same time, so when I got one fixed, I had to figure out that I still had a new problem and they were NOT related! This is probably driving people crazy!

Conclusion: So there you have it, my main issues over the past 3 years. If it wasn’t for the amazing people on this forum, and a local Ford dealership (Ed Kenley Ford, Layton, Utah) that was willing to perform work on my truck based on the TSB info I bought them, I would have been driving a different brand truck long ago.It’s hard for a dealership to figure out what is wrong with a truck if the computer NEVER shows an error code or displays a CEL. Mine NEVER did. So again, Ed Kenley Ford was amazing! Are my problems over, probably not, but the truck keeps getting better!

If you have questions, please let me know, but be patient on my response. Again, I work on a military installation and can’t log into the forum for some damn reason!! So, my responses will be at night or on the weekend.

Do you feel the replacement of the driver's side engine valves fixed your bucking problem during active regeneration?

The reason I as is that I have a new 2015 and mine started the severe bucking during active regeneration around 4200 miles. It feels as if the valves are sticking.

By applying and releasing and applying throttle, the bucking will has will stop. It bucks to the point the entire front end suspension and steering wheel violently shakes.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:22 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by wharrell
Do you feel the replacement of the driver's side engine valves fixed your bucking problem during active regeneration?

The reason I as is that I have a new 2015 and mine started the severe bucking during active regeneration around 4200 miles. It feels as if the valves are sticking.

By applying and releasing and applying throttle, the bucking will has will stop. It bucks to the point the entire front end suspension and steering wheel violently shakes.

Are you sure you are not getting the death wobble?

Old 10-11-2014, 06:51 AM
wharrell
Tuned

Originally Posted by senix
Are you sure you are not getting the death wobble?
It is only active regeneration related and starts about 30 seconds into regeneration. The valves appear to be sticking

Old 10-11-2014, 06:59 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I would take it in for the TSB and see what they say.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:28 AM
wharrell
Tuned

The TSB for this issue is a 2011-2013 and does not apply to a 2015

Originally Posted by senix
I would take it in for the TSB and see what they say.
The TSB is for 2011 to 2013 and can not be applied to a new 2015.

Still they say consider having the new 2015 engine still in the first 5000 miles broken down and rebuilt to see if that fixes the problem.

I am not the only 2015 owner with this problem. At least one other here and several on the other forum.

My dealer and Ford is working with me while this is evaluated

Obviously it is of high level of concern to tear down a new engine.

This is not 'death wobble' releated to suspension. I know what that is and had that an a 2011

Old 10-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Originally Posted by wharrell

Yes, replacing the driver's side exhaust valves did stop the bucking/sticking valves during the Regen. I was under the impression that the new (Smaller) exhaust vavles were in the 2015 trucks. Check with your dealership to be sure.

Mike

Quick Reply: 2011 F350/Issues..Turbo/Smells/Shutter/Death Wobble/Transmission/…with VIDEO!!