6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 F350/Issues..Turbo/Smells/Shutter/Death Wobble/Transmission/…with VIDEO!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 12:23 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Big Sarge, all I can say is wow. As I read thru your exp and look back on my 4+ years of exp with my '11 F 350 dually I think I lucky to have nothing wrong with mine at all.

My '01 Chevy V8, enough TSB's to look like a fone book, engine failures, piston failures you name it. Mine, never an issue of any kind, sold it the guy is still driving it and never an issue.

Begs the question of why? Sure wish I knew...

Old 03-22-2015, 09:53 PM
Kauhana
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hey gang,

I'm glad you're getting your dealerships involved. Be sure to tell me how things go; I'm here to help if you need assistance after getting a diagnosis.

Thanks for the shout-out, sbryan! I'm always happy to do whatever I can to assist.

Crystal
Thanks Crystal!

Old 05-11-2015, 01:36 AM
Jweidman
New User
Turbo flutter issues uphill

Crystal,
It is so nice to see other people having the same issues!! I live in Scottsdale AZ and anytime I drive up north to higher elevation I have massive issues. I am running 37 13.5 22 's on 3:55 gearing so I always have a little more load while going uphill. But recently I get a loud humming while the truck idles so for sure I know I have a bad wastegate solenoid. But the biggest issue is the turbo shutter and jolting going uphill. It does the exact thing as posted in the video above sound and all. Only way to get it to stop is to punch the gas and have it downshift to higher rpms. I did the lasted Pcm update and no luck. The only way to replicate the issue is to drive 2 hours north to elevation and to roads with an incline. Can you help me find a dealer in Scottsdale or Phoenix area that can help ? I don't know what to do because I can't replicate the issue in front of the dealer. I have a 2011 with 72k on it. The truck hasn't been worked hard at all and mostly has highway miles. I don't want to go over warranty and then find out I've had a bad turbo all along.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks for the assist, BigF350!

I got your PM and responded, parhaaw. I'll be happy to do what I can to help!

Crystal

Old 05-11-2015, 05:06 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by Jweidman
Crystal,
It is so nice to see other people having the same issues!! I live in Scottsdale AZ and anytime I drive up north to higher elevation I have massive issues. I am running 37 13.5 22 's on 3:55 gearing so I always have a little more load while going uphill. But recently I get a loud humming while the truck idles so for sure I know I have a bad wastegate solenoid. But the biggest issue is the turbo shutter and jolting going uphill. It does the exact thing as posted in the video above sound and all. Only way to get it to stop is to punch the gas and have it downshift to higher rpms. I did the lasted Pcm update and no luck. The only way to replicate the issue is to drive 2 hours north to elevation and to roads with an incline. Can you help me find a dealer in Scottsdale or Phoenix area that can help ? I don't know what to do because I can't replicate the issue in front of the dealer. I have a 2011 with 72k on it. The truck hasn't been worked hard at all and mostly has highway miles. I don't want to go over warranty and then find out I've had a bad turbo all along.

see the TSB for some food for thought when you find a Scottsdale dealer. It would also help if you can video it in action.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
tsb13-04-03.pdf (48.3 KB, 160 views)
Old 05-11-2015, 09:35 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Crystal,

Lived at Scottsdale Rd and Cactus, on 1 acre.

This is a common problem in Jeep TJ's, head to the mountains and they run like crap, poor idle, loss of power etc. When I went N up in the mountains or going to Moab etc, first thing I did when I arrived was do a reset on the ECM and suddenly things worked fine. I used to lead runs to Moab couple times a year. I would have folks from all over the US and many of them would have issues as described, we would reset the ECM and bingo all was good.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:41 AM
tgtrotter
Junior User
Senix, Is there another TSB for 2013 ? In this thread TSBs are mentioned but you are the only one who posted a pdf link and it is for 2011-12s.
Crystal you have access to this and TSBs. Will you post here ?

I posted in March I have used my adaptive brain and learned to make the truck avoid the bucking so I have not been to dealer.....as far as recording it ....I will see what I can do.

NOW to hi jack this thread...only other problem with this F-3-350 besides occasional glitches My Ford Sync, the noisy cab, and poor shocks reacting to potholes and laddering ( if it's true Bilsteins are the solution IDK but i also avoid those...most of the time)....I Finalllllly had to slam on my brakes and my truck steered out of lane to the right. It really took all I could to pull it back with the power steering. I purposely duplicated it the rest of my commute to work and home the next few days and found it occurs above 50mph hard braking. So I avoid that but last week it did it at 20mph and I could not duplicate it. Im beginning to wonder if it is the road surface pulling the tires. I add i think i hear a faint very faint mechanical sound too. Every ABS vehicle Ive driven stopped straight as an arrow. Any one else experience this ?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:01 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tgtrotter
Senix, Is there another TSB for 2013 ? In this thread TSBs are mentioned but you are the only one who posted a pdf link and it is for 2011-12s.
Crystal you have access to this and TSBs. Will you post here ?

I posted in March I have used my adaptive brain and learned to make the truck avoid the bucking so I have not been to dealer.....as far as recording it ....I will see what I can do.

NOW to hi jack this thread...only other problem with this F-3-350 besides occasional glitches My Ford Sync, the noisy cab, and poor shocks reacting to potholes and laddering ( if it's true Bilsteins are the solution IDK but i also avoid those...most of the time)....I Finalllllly had to slam on my brakes and my truck steered out of lane to the right. It really took all I could to pull it back with the power steering. I purposely duplicated it the rest of my commute to work and home the next few days and found it occurs above 50mph hard braking. So I avoid that but last week it did it at 20mph and I could not duplicate it. Im beginning to wonder if it is the road surface pulling the tires. I add i think i hear a faint very faint mechanical sound too. Every ABS vehicle Ive driven stopped straight as an arrow. Any one else experience this ?
WHAT, ME TOO, WTH!

So I will quote what the Ford Dealer told me about this :

"Did you have anything in the bed of your truck?" Yes, my camper.

"Then that is NORMAL, hard braking above 50 mph causes the FRONT wheels to come off the ground and makes the truck pull to the right!"

Town & Country Ford, Nashville Tenn

So there you have it, NORMAL...

Old 05-11-2015, 10:09 AM
tgtrotter
Junior User
No !! I'm serious

Old 05-11-2015, 10:19 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
No !! I'm serious
TG, I will assume you directed that at me and perhaps you think I am kidding...NO I AM NOT and yes that is a quote from the Svc writer when I went to pick up my truck, after they charged me$85 bucks for a piece of crap rental mustang...only took them 2 full days to give me that answer.

No, I said nothing when they told me it was my wheels coming off the ground. Sure I could have told them that under braking there is a weight transfer forward and there is no way the wheels come off the ground.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:34 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...Can you help me find a dealer in Scottsdale or Phoenix area that can help ?...
Hi Jweidman,

I can't recommend one dealership over another, but you can find some local options by entering your ZIP code here: Ford Dealers | Locate a Ford Dealer Near You | Ford.com Keep us in the loop after you receive a diagnosis; I'll be here to assist as needed.

...Crystal you have access to this and TSBs. Will you post here ?...
Hi tgtrotter,

I don't have access to TSBs, but your dealership can run your VIN to see if any would apply to your vehicle. Do you have plans to head in soon for diagnosis? If so, you can have them check on TSBs while you're there.

Crystal

Old 05-27-2015, 07:43 PM
Jweidman
New User
Hi Jweidman,

I can't recommend one dealership over another, but you can find some local options by entering your ZIP code here: Ford Dealers | Locate a Ford Dealer Near You | Ford.com Keep us in the loop after you receive a diagnosis; I'll be here to assist as needed.

Hi tgtrotter,

I don't have access to TSBs, but your dealership can run your VIN to see if any would apply to your vehicle. Do you have plans to head in soon for diagnosis? If so, you can have them check on TSBs while you're there.

Crystal

Crystal,
Thank you for getting back to me. My truck is at the dealer , doesn't show any codes and the only way to replicate the problem is drive 2 hours north to elevation. How do we troubleshoot this if Dealer cannot replicate the issue ?

Old 05-28-2015, 07:43 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Crystal,
Thank you for getting back to me. My truck is at the dealer , doesn't show any codes and the only way to replicate the problem is drive 2 hours north to elevation. How do we troubleshoot this if Dealer cannot replicate the issue ?
Hi Jweidman,

Your dealership will have to replicate a concern prior to proceeding with a repair. Do you happen to have a recording of the symptoms that you can show them? I'd also recommend telling them that it can be duplicated on inclines; it's possible they know of some areas where they can attempt a test drive. If you'd like, I can bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 05-28-2015, 10:35 AM
Jweidman
New User
I will work on getting this to you. Unfortunately the closest place to replicate the issue is 2 hours north. This only happens at elevation unfortunately so north of phoenix in flagstaff or Payson are the only areas to get the truck to do this.

Hi Jweidman,

Your dealership will have to replicate a concern prior to proceeding with a repair. Do you happen to have a recording of the symptoms that you can show them? I'd also recommend telling them that it can be duplicated on inclines; it's possible they know of some areas where they can attempt a test drive. If you'd like, I can bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 05-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Jweidman
New User
I just had a long conversation with a dealer in northern Arizona that knows of the issue. they are saying tsb 11-12-14 has been replaced by tsb 15-00-21 and basically it states if you get the pcm update and that doesn't help, do not replace turbo and we cannot fix the issue.

Are you familiar with this outcome?

Hi Jweidman,

Crystal

Old 05-28-2015, 12:35 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
I just had a long conversation with a dealer in northern Arizona that knows of the issue. they are saying tsb 11-12-14 has been replaced by tsb 15-00-21 and basically it states if you get the pcm update and that doesn't help, do not replace turbo and we cannot fix the issue.

Are you familiar with this outcome?
Hi Jweidman,

Since I'm not a tech, I don't have access to TSBs or repair procedures; your service manager would be in the best position to advise.

Crystal

Quick Reply: 2011 F350/Issues..Turbo/Smells/Shutter/Death Wobble/Transmission/…with VIDEO!!