2011 F350/Issues..Turbo/Smells/Shutter/Death Wobble/Transmission/…with VIDEO!! - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

2011 F350/Issues..Turbo/Smells/Shutter/Death Wobble/Transmission/…with VIDEO!!

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 F350/Issues..Turbo/Smells/Shutter/Death Wobble/Transmission/…with VIDEO!!

Old 10-13-2014, 04:35 PM
BigF350
Post Fiend
BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
Big-Sarge , thanks for reporting back on the issues. Glad to hear you have gotten almost all of them resolved. If its ok with you, I will update the tech folder with the info you provided to help others.
Originally Posted by wharrell View Post
The TSB is for 2011 to 2013 and can not be applied to a new 2015.

Still they say consider having the new 2015 engine still in the first 5000 miles broken down and rebuilt to see if that fixes the problem.

I am not the only 2015 owner with this problem. At least one other here and several on the other forum.

My dealer and Ford is working with me while this is evaluated

Obviously it is of high level of concern to tear down a new engine.

This is not 'death wobble' releated to suspension. I know what that is and had that an a 2011
Take it to your dealer. You are correct, the valves should not be the problem, yours is the first 2015 truck I have heard of having the issue.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Big-Sarge is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Big-Sarge is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
[QUOTE=BigF350;14738519]Big-Sarge , thanks for reporting back on the issues. Glad to hear you have gotten almost all of them resolved. If its ok with you, I will update the tech folder with the info you provided to help others.

That would be great. Thank you!

Old 10-26-2014, 09:35 PM
parhaaw
New User
parhaaw is starting off with a positive reputation.
2013 F20 6.7 Shudder Engine Miss

Originally Posted by Big-Sarge View Post
Well you all may have remembered me from such posts as “Rear sway bar install on a F350 with 20” wheels!” https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1070522-rear-sway-bar-install-on-a-f350-with-20-wheels-pictures.html and “Bilstein 5100 Shock install with VIDEO!!!” https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1107967-bilstein-5100-shock-install-with-video.html

My truck:2011 F350, Short Bed,6.7L diesel, 18,800 miles, Built in early Oct 2010.

I have been quiet and lurking on the Forum as I was dealing with a ton of warranty issues with my truck. I think I have worked through most of them, and wanted to pass on my experiences to help you all get your trucks fixed correctly.

A.Transmission“Shift” Flare – Many people have experienced different shifting issues withtheir 2011-2012 F-350/250s. Mine was having a problem deciding on shifting from 2<sup>nd</sup>to 3<sup>rd</sup> and 4<sup>th</sup> to 5<sup>th</sup> gear when going slow. I work on a military installation, so I HAVE to drive fairly slow(Under 40 mph) most of the time, so it’s a glaring issue for me.

Fixes tried:

Reprogrammed Power Train Module (PCM) TSB 11-8-24 (No change/Not fixed)

1. Installed new solenoids in transmission TSB 11-7-10 (No change/Not fixed)

2. Replaced Torque Converter assembly with new flywheel (90 Percent/Fixed, still not perfect, but livable)

B. DeathWobble:

Fixes tried:

1. Replaced looseTrac-barball joint and bushing (90 percent better)

C.Exhaust smell in cab of truck during Regen (While backing up)

Fixes tried:

1. I performed TSB11-6-22 and reconnected the Exhaust Pressure Sensor Tube myself. It was completely OFF!! I need to thank “Fat Tire” for posting a picture of his tube, and how to fix it. If anyone knows him, please pass this on to him! I owe him!<o></o

D. Turboflutter/TruckShutters (DURING REGEN) – While I am cruising between 50-60 mph during an exhaust regeneration going up a slight incline the truck shutters/clattersasif it’s misfiring.

Fixes tried:

1. Reprogrammed PowerTrain Module (PCM) TSB 11-8-24 (No change/Not fixed)

2. Replaced all the exhaust valves on the driver’s cylinder head. TSB 13-5-17 (Fixed) Note:This procedure entails removing the cab off the chassis, so make sure the mechanic who performs the work has done it before, and is good. I asked the question and spoke to the mechanic beforehand.

E. Turboflutter/Truck Shutters (NOT DURING REGEN) – While I am cruising between 50-60 mph up a slight incline the truck shutters as if its misfiring (STILL). See VIDEO (Watch the boost gauge bounce/flutter)

20141002 142946 - YouTube

Fixes tried:

1. Reprogrammed PowerTrain Module (PCM) TSB 13-4-3 (No change/Not fixed)

2.A. The Ford Mechanic rode in my truck with his laptop was plugged into the truck’s diagnostic plug, and data logged the truck shuttering. He said “Bad turbo” immediately.

2.B. Replaced entire turbo assembly (TSB 11-12-14) (Still testing, just got the truck back)

VERY IMPORTANT: Problem C and D were happening at the same time, so when I got one fixed, I had to figure out that I still had a new problem and they were NOT related! This is probably driving people crazy!

Conclusion: So there you have it, my main issues over the past 3 years. If it wasn’t for the amazing people on this forum, and a local Ford dealership (Ed Kenley Ford, Layton, Utah) that was willing to perform work on my truck based on the TSB info I bought them, I would have been driving a different brand truck long ago.It’s hard for a dealership to figure out what is wrong with a truck if the computer NEVER shows an error code or displays a CEL. Mine NEVER did. So again, Ed Kenley Ford was amazing! Are my problems over, probably not, but the truck keeps getting better!

If you have questions, please let me know, but be patient on my response. Again, I work on a military installation and can’t log into the forum for some damn reason!! So, my responses will be at night or on the weekend.

Thanks Big Sarge for posting. I have a 2013 F250 with 14K miles on it. I purchased it 11/1/13. Probably about 3 months ago I started noticing a very intermittent engine shuddering. It has probably happened 7 or 8 times over the last few months. I have not noticed if the shuddering is happening around regen, but it I will be paying more attention now. I have taken it to my local ford dealer; they kept it four days and unbelievably said they replicated the shuddering, which surprised me they could replicate it in only four days. They replaced the fuel filter and said that was the cause. I live about 50 miles from the dealership, and as I returned home driving up a very steep grade it happened again, worse than ever. It almost jerked and I was afraid it was going to lose power. It did not lose power, and I immediately called the dealership. It is back there now, and of course now they are having trouble replicating the issue. Interestingly enough, I had two friends buy the same exact F250 about the same time. One, who doesn't drive it often, has had no issues. The other, is having the same issue as me, except worse. His dealer replaced the fuel injectors so far, not sure what else. He is ready to trade. I advised him to look at GA's lemon law since he took it in before 12K miles. I have read multiple posts regarding exhaust valve replacement, turbo replacement, etc. I am very disappointed to say the least, as I had such a great experience with my 2002 F250 7.3... but I know, I know, that was the bullet proof engine without all the extra emissions equipment. I definitely admire your patience, but I am not sure I have it. Oh, and I had the rough transmission shifting between 2nd and 3rd gears almost right out of the gate, but that seems to have dissipated.... I am guessing the transmission has "learned" my driving habits based on other posts I have read. Any advice would be appreciated... trade or ride it out? ( I didn't take in before 12K, even though the problem had presented itself very randomly, so I can't pursue the GA lemon law statute. At the time, I just thought I might have bad fuel.. Or I was just in denial!... never again!)

Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Big-Sarge
Senior User
Big-Sarge is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Big-Sarge is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Parhaaw- I got to be honest..I am almost gave up on my truck..I test drove a 2015 Dodge 3500 a week before my dealership found my second engine shuttering problem (First being the exhaust valves during regen).I didn’t want to have to trade my truck into Dodge and still bring a check for$20K to the table. I shouldn’t have to and neither should you! Ford has the responsibility and duty to fix our trucks! The problems we are experiencing with our trucks normally don’t trip Check Engine Lights, so most mechanics just throw their hands up in the air and randomly replace parts. This forum has been a god-send to me, were I have learned from other people’s experience. I went to my dealership with a Forum printout/TSB in hand and said, “Do this TSB!”.

I have gone 400 miles with my new turbo…problem solved! My truck runs stronger and is shutter free!

And by the way the 2015 Dodge I drove with the 6.7 Cummins engine has zero power on the bottom-end, I floored that truck on a highway entrance ramp (Downhill), and that truck couldn’t get out of its own way! I went home in my SuperDuty, determined to fix it!

Don’t give up and make your dealership fix your truck. We on this forum have your back!
<!-- / message -->

Last edited by Big-Sarge; 10-26-2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Editing
Old 10-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Tofan
Posting Guru
Tofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to beholdTofan is a splendid one to behold
Great story Big-Sarge. I still remember watching your videos and enjoying them. Glad you are still enjoying your Super Duty. I can't wait to enjoy mine for many more years to come!

Old 10-27-2014, 09:39 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
FordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by parhaaw View Post
... It is back there now, and of course now they are having trouble replicating the issue...
Welcome to the forum, parhaaw. I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here - I'd like to research this and see what I can do to help. To get started, send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 10-27-2014, 09:08 PM
parhaaw
New User
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Welcome to the forum, parhaaw. I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here - I'd like to research this and see what I can do to help. To get started, send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal
Hi Crystal, I guess I haven't been on the forum long enough to be able to send private messages. Could I send you email? I appreciate your help. Oh and the update.... Rivertown Ford in Columbus, GA hasn't been able to replicate the issue which doesn't surprise me, it happens very intermittently. I am picking up my truck tomorrow. One good bit of news I learned today is that since I purchased my truck after 1/1/09 I am still within the lesser of 24,000 miles or 2 years which means I am within the Georgia Lemon Law Rights period. I have 10K miles to get this figured out. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck, and I just want it fixed! I would prefer not to have to go that route.

Thanks again!

Allen

Old 10-27-2014, 11:35 PM
BigF350
Post Fiend
BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
I updated your account so you can PM her

Best of luck getting your truck fixed.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:30 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
FordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BigF350 View Post
I updated your account so you can PM her

Best of luck getting your truck fixed.
Thanks for the assist, BigF350!

Originally Posted by parhaaw View Post
...Oh and the update.... Rivertown Ford in Columbus, GA hasn't been able to replicate the issue which doesn't surprise me, it happens very intermittently...
I got your PM and responded, parhaaw. I'll be happy to do what I can to help!

Crystal

Old 10-31-2014, 10:41 PM
parhaaw
New User
Just an update - So I go my truck over to Mike Fitzpatrick Ford in Newnan, GA on Wednesday. I was referred by a friend to a technician there.... so far they are having trouble just as Rivertown was duplicating the problem. And Crystal, thanks again for reaching out to a regional customer service rep. I have talked with Autumn with FMC a couple of times. Bottom line, still trying to replicate the problem. Another interesting note, the two friends of mine that bought 2013 F250s last fall... one of them is having the exact same problem I am. However his has gotten worse. Allan Vigil Ford in Fayetteville, GA replaced fuel injectors # 6 and # 7 in his truck. He called me this afternoon as he was heading down I16 to Savannah and I was telling him he should speak with the regional customer service rep. He said that this was the first major trip since his injectors were replaced..... well guess what..... While we were on the phone, his truck began to shudder again! I sure someone figures it out soon!

Old 03-19-2015, 06:45 PM
tgtrotter
Junior User
tgtrotter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Ford Support or Memebers,

Just read the final blogs of this post. I purchased my 2013 F350 PSD July of 2014 and immediatly noticed "the shudder" when the engine was lugged down to 1000-1100 rpms on a hill. Sounding like somewhere around the turbo belching air too. At first I was startled but learned to manually downshift to higher rpms and it will stop. Once or twice I tried accelerating out of it and it shuddered as bad as the poster who said it made the steering shudder too.

My truck has 16,000 miles and I never let the rpms drop now. So I figure I have a real problem I'm not imaging. What should I tell my dealer is the TSB or rememdy ?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:24 PM
Kauhana
New User
Kauhana is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm having the EXACT same issues as D and E. I couldn't figure out why, but it happens constantly. I didn't know how to explain it to my dealer. I have a 2013 F250 KR CC SB with 22k miles on it. It's practically done it since day one. I'm going to print out these posts and take them to my dealer ASAP. I also just received a recall in the mail for 14e03 that I need to research.

Thanks again for posting this, it will help tremendously.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:58 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Both of you should call their attention to the TSB's listed.

Be nice about it. They don't like that throw in their face.

Just tell them that you found some others with your symptoms and that is what helped them.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:24 AM
sbryan
Post Fiend
sbryan has a spectacular reputation.sbryan has a spectacular reputation.sbryan has a spectacular reputation.sbryan has a spectacular reputation.sbryan has a spectacular reputation.sbryan has a spectacular reputation.sbryan has a spectacular reputation.sbryan has a spectacular reputation.sbryan has a spectacular reputation.sbryan has a spectacular reputation.sbryan has a spectacular reputation.
Sarge, thanks for your continued support to the rest of us on this forum. I did both the Bilstein and the rear swaybar using your tips. My '13 has been bullet proof so far so I am sympathetic to those folks here with '13's who are having issues. I don't baby my truck and push it fairly hard when I run it. I tow 18k during the summer but don't drive a lot during the winter. When I do take the truck out in the winter it is for longer trips (100 miles +). I wonder what other driving styles folks here have and if that has any impact on engine performance. I tend to think short trips around town are not good for these motors - they need some load or distance to fully warm up. Not being a diesel mechanic I am only hypothesizing here but wondering if that has any effect.

In any case, as usual, Crystal rides in to try to help and my dealer has been awesome even though I haven't had any issues. That kind of support and service from corporate and my dealer, along with the great folks like Sarge here, is what keeps me in Ford. Everyone these days can make a decent truck (blasphemy, I know) - it is the people and company and support after the sale that makes the difference. Hopefully Ford will step up for those having issues and get things sorted.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:18 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by tgtrotter View Post
...I purchased my 2013 F350 PSD July of 2014 and immediatly noticed "the shudder" when the engine was lugged down to 1000-1100 rpms on a hill...
Originally Posted by Kauhana View Post
[SIZE=3]...It's practically done it since day one. I'm going to print out these posts and take them to my dealer ASAP...
Hey gang,

I'm glad you're getting your dealerships involved. Be sure to tell me how things go; I'm here to help if you need assistance after getting a diagnosis.

Originally Posted by sbryan View Post
...In any case, as usual, Crystal rides in to try to help and my dealer has been awesome even though I haven't had any issues. That kind of support and service from corporate and my dealer, along with the great folks like Sarge here, is what keeps me in Ford. Everyone these days can make a decent truck (blasphemy, I know) - it is the people and company and support after the sale that makes the difference...
Thanks for the shout-out, sbryan! I'm always happy to do whatever I can to assist.

Crystal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 F350/Issues..Turbo/Smells/Shutter/Death Wobble/Transmission/…with VIDEO!!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: