1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

new member, new truck, new HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:08 PM
hotrodbrando
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, also on this... the plan of action is fairly straight forward. Although mods are included...
  • swap the inline 6 for flathead v8
  • MII front suspension
  • coil over rear
  • relocate the tank
  • shave it
  • T5 trans
  • flattened paintjob w door logo (HRM Hotrods) in memory of my Dad
I want a traditional hot rod truck but with some upgrades like the suspension and steering. Everything else more "period" correct... While they are not trucks, below are some of the other cars I have done, the Mustang I sold...

Old 10-07-2014, 09:45 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Word to the wise: DON'T try to circumvent the DMV. A trained and aware of all the "tricks" like title mills etc. a DMV officer will come out and examine your truck before you will be able to register it. There are procedures in place to allow you to get a title unless it is on the stolen vehicles list, but it is best to do it as early as possible.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:53 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
If you need someone to do any of the work for you, I provide that service as well as teach it.
You may want to read my MIG welding tutorial: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-practice.html

Old 10-08-2014, 09:45 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Word to the wise: DON'T try to circumvent the DMV. A trained and aware of all the "tricks" like title mills etc. a DMV officer will come out and examine your truck before you will be able to register it. There are procedures in place to allow you to get a title unless it is on the stolen vehicles list, but it is best to do it as early as possible.
I don't know about anyone else, but my experience at the DMV was actually really easy.. I never had anyone come out and inspect my truck. I just had to fill out some info and provide pictures of each side and the lady came out with plates and my title showed up a couple months later. However, I'm sure all states are different.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:10 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fladoodle
I don't know about anyone else, but my experience at the DMV was actually really easy.. I never had anyone come out and inspect my truck. I just had to fill out some info and provide pictures of each side and the lady came out with plates and my title showed up a couple months later. However, I'm sure all states are different.
Yes, every state is different. Brando and I are both in NC, so I am familiar with the way NC does it. NC has personal property tax, they tax vehicles based on their value every year. There was a big scandal here a few years ago where a local politician owned a couple FG replica hotrods that the head of the DMV assisted him use title mill titles to title them as original antique vehicles at a small fraction of their value, as well as bypass emission system inspection much the same thing Boyd Coddington was arrested for in CA.
Now NC has special DMV officers that inspect all pre VIN vehicles to verify they are actually OEM vehicles and are not stolen before you can title or register them.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:30 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Yes, every state is different. Brando and I are both in NC, so I am familiar with the way NC does it. NC has personal property tax, they tax vehicles based on their value every year. There was a big scandal here a few years ago where a local politician owned a couple FG replica hotrods that the head of the DMV assisted him use title mill titles to title them as original antique vehicles at a small fraction of their value, much the same thing Boyd Coddington was arrested for in CA.
Now NC has special DMV officers that inspect all pre VIN vehicles to verify they are actually OEM vehicles and are not stolen before you can title or register them.
I'm sure MN would do the same thing if they weren't so far backed up. Everything from MNDMV has been taking way longer in the past few years than it historically has.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:32 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Originally Posted by hotrodbrando
So, also on this... the plan of action is fairly straight forward. Although mods are included...
  • swap the inline 6 for flathead v8
  • MII front suspension
  • coil over rear
  • relocate the tank
  • shave it
  • T5 trans
  • flattened paintjob w door logo (HRM Hotrods) in memory of my Dad
I want a traditional hot rod truck but with some upgrades like the suspension and steering. Everything else more "period" correct... While they are not trucks, below are some of the other cars I have done, the Mustang I sold...

looks like you've already got the general idea on these restoration jobs! These are great looking cars. Sorry for the multiple posts, I'm on mobile so my posting abilities are greatly diminished.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 PM
hotrodbrando
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm making a call to the DMV tomorrow to make sure I have everything in order. I might have to get a indemnity bond for it (which is about $130) but it should be no big deal. Also the title will be "inoperable" but once it's street worthy it seems to be not that big of a deal to get the plates etc. I totally understand the title fraud issue. Anyway, I'll update the post again once I have the truck in my possession with some better pictures and oh maybe 147 questions...

BTW, thanks everyone for the warm reception!