Metal on metal noise?? (video inside.) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Metal on metal noise?? (video inside.)

Old 10-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Senior User

wotan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Metal on metal noise?? (video inside.)

Was pulling out of the boat launch last weekend and thought the engine sounded a little funny. Before I made it home it was making a terrible metal on metal noise. Pulled off and quickly decided it was the fan clutch. Removed fan clutch once at home and the problem persisted. Removed alternator belt. Removed and shimmed starter (in case it was dragging.)

No metal shavings in oil and engine seems to run fine, just makes a terrible noise.

Had a mechanic friend come over and he declared that one of the flywheel/flexplate bolts or the torque converter bolts were loose. I removed the inspection cover and checked all of them I could access and they were all tight.

Any other spots to check? Thoughts?

Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Posting Guru

Turbo Dog has a good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a good reputation on FTE.
I can't pin point anything from that video. I would suggest getting a stethoscope. That will help narrow down where your noise is coming from. If the noise is at the front it could be the distributor drive gear, or timing chain and gears.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Elder User

cbakker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Too hard to determine from the video, but it does sound a little different. What have you done to the truck lately?

You cant check the bolts that attach the flexplate to the crank by only removing the inspection cover. Was there any wear on the outside or inside of the flex plate? What does your oil pressure gauge say?