Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tranny leak...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:23 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny leak...

I noticed a pretty good leak from the tranny. So I looked around and fluid is on the exhaust pipe and all over the side of the tranny. My first thought was the o-ring on the dipstick tube. So I replaced it this morning and went for a ride to the car wash. I tried to clean it all out under there. When I got back to the camper and checked again it looks like the leak is coming from the fittings where the rear tranny line screws in.
Has anybody else had this problem? Do I just replace the brass washers?
It has to be a banjo bolt because the other line connected runs toward the front

Old 10-06-2014, 03:35 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Line

When i pull the rear tranny line(return from the cooler) to do my tranny flushes, its just a flared line with a nut that holds the flange into the tranny port. that said, I would try to snug it up and see if that cures your leak. if not, it might be a cracked line.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:36 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
The rear line screws in but it's in I guess a banjo bolt. It has another line that goes back forward on that bolt. It has the brass washers just like the brake calipers. I was going to try to mess with it before work but it poured down rain and the ground was all soggy

Old 10-07-2014, 07:42 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Besides the coated sealing washers, there are O-rings in the Bypass Valve that can also leak at the rear fitting. Cooler Bypass Valve Kit - 36605-02K - Sonnax The banjo bolts torque 27 ft-lbs for the rear and 22 ft-lbs for the front.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:48 AM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
I called ford trying to see if they have this since I have to have my truck and I'm 6 hours from home. Of course the parts guy had no clue what I was talking about. He put me on hold and went and ask his diesel tech and tranny guy and neither of them knew anything about it either. He is saying that the lines screw in the case on the tranny.
I tried ebay to see if I could get a part number. No luck.
I did see a kit to delete the bypass line. But I still have the same problem. I need my truck now.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:13 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bcaughhorn
I called ford trying to see if they have this since I have to have my truck and I'm 6 hours from home. Of course the parts guy had no clue what I was talking about. He put me on hold and went and ask his diesel tech and tranny guy and neither of them knew anything about it either. He is saying that the lines screw in the case on the tranny.
I did see a kit to delete the bypass line. But I still have the same problem. I need my truck now.
Wish I was close to you. I "may" have some spares.

EDIT: Checked my stash this evening and didn't have any. Sorry!

Last edited by mueckster; 10-07-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: spoke too soon
Old 10-07-2014, 02:15 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Where are you located? I'm in nederland tx. I'd be happy to buy it off of you

Old 10-08-2014, 06:59 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bcaughhorn
I'm about 2 hrs west of you.
Here is the Ford part number for the banjo bolt gasket kit. 2001 Ford F-250 Auto Trans Modulator Valve | FordParts.com Sometimes the terminology for the parts makes them difficult to locate. I deal with this a lot when ordering over-the-road and heavy equipment parts. That's why I prefer to look them up online when I can. Hope this helps.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:27 PM
bcaughhorn
Posting Guru
Thanks brother I'm fixing to go back to Philpott ford now for that. I did order the other kit but it's being sent to the house. And I really don't want to make the 6 hour drive with this leak. So ill buy their o-rings for the ride and rebuild it with the other kit when I go home