Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anyone Know Sequence of CCT

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:19 PM
ColoradoFordBoys
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone Know Sequence of CCT

Does anyone know what the sequence is of the cylinder contribution test is?? Does it follow the number sequence of the cylinders 12345678 or the firing order 1-2-7-3-4-5-6-8?? Mine is a 97 and the second cylinder killed in the sounds strange but it says cyl 4 failed? This would make sense if it does by bank 2468 1357? any imput greatly appreciated

Old 10-03-2014, 04:17 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The Superduty is numerical order, I'm unsure of pre-SD. The best way to know for sure is to feel the solenoid you expect to fire next. If your VCs are not popped yet, unplug the Passenger side wire harness. If you then hear two injectors in a row without a pause, then it's firing order instead of numerical order.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:00 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PC/ED says it runs the CCT by cutting the cylinders out in order "1 through 8", but it doesn't specify if it's numerical order or firing order (both start with 1 and end with 8). When it cuts a cylinder off, I'd have to imagine the PCM is testing how the other cylinders react to it. I'm sure there's some fancy algorithm to determine how well each cylinder does when other cylinders are cut, so the sound probably doesn't mean much in relation to the results.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:26 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
The UVCH link in my signature shows the firing order and the CCT order for a Superduty. I don't know if the SD PC/ED matches the OBS PC/ED, so physical confirmation of the CCT order is needed on the OBS - unless somebody in the OBS forum has this info.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:37 AM
ColoradoFordBoys
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it is probably safe to say the second cylinder that it tests is 2 since that is the 2nd in numerical order and in the firing order? I am getting a faint air thump seemingly from the intake when it kills the second cylinder but not on the rest. not bad like a non functioning exhaust valve would cause but I do notice it slightly. I have the drivers side valve cover off and everythings appears to be working good. Paranoia as I just rebuilt the engine 500 miles ago.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tugly
The UVCH link in my signature shows the firing order and the CCT order for a Superduty. I don't know if the SD PC/ED matches the OBS PC/ED, so physical confirmation of the CCT order is needed on the OBS - unless somebody in the OBS forum has this info.
There is no testing order of the cylinders during a CCT on Super Duty 7.3s. All 8 cylinders are tested continuously throughout the test. That's from the PC/ED. What I posted above regarding the order of cylinders is also from the PC/ED for 1998 model year engines. The test runs the same way on earlier model years. A CCT on OBS trucks sounds horrible, especially during the second half of it when each cylinder bank is shut down for a period of time. If a fault is detected during the first half while only one cylinder is shut down at a time, the second half isn't run at all.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ColoradoFordBoys
Well it is probably safe to say the second cylinder that it tests is 2 since that is the 2nd in numerical order and in the firing order? I am getting a faint air thump seemingly from the intake when it kills the second cylinder but not on the rest. not bad like a non functioning exhaust valve would cause but I do notice it slightly. I have the drivers side valve cover off and everythings appears to be working good. Paranoia as I just rebuilt the engine 500 miles ago.

Was valve work done at the same time? New valves, or the seats cut?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Pikachu
There is no testing order of the cylinders during a CCT on Super Duty 7.3s. All 8 cylinders are tested continuously throughout the test. That's from the PC/ED.

Not wanting to be rude, my friend - but this is inaccurate. The UVCH link has a page from my PC/ED, showing the CCT sequence. Just as an add-on to the conversation, here is a Buzz test on my 2000 Superduty (Da Big Stink) - for those of you with stereo speakers on your computer:

Old 10-04-2014, 06:58 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tugly
Not wanting to be rude, my friend - but this is inaccurate. The UVCH link has a page from my PC/ED, showing the CCT sequence. On top of that, here is a CCT on my 2000 Superduty (Da Big Stink):

Stinky's Stock Sticks - YouTube
I believe you're confusing a cylinder contribution test with an injector buzz test.

Originally Posted by PC/ED
Key On Engine Running (KOER) Cylinder Contribution Self Test is a functional test of the PCM performed on-demand with the engine running, A/C off and engine oil temperature above 2 1 C (70 F). This test will determine if all cylinders are contributing equally to engine performance. The PCM will test all 8 cylinders continuously during the test; there is no change in engine speed or operation that can be detected by the technician.
On OBS trucks, the CCT actually does shut down one cylinder at a time during the first portion of the test, then it shuts down a cylinder bank at a time during the second half of the test. The second half of the test doesn't run if any faults are detected during the first half.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I'm confused...isn't the buzz test the same as the CCT test? If not, I guess I need to figure out how to use AE to do it, and try it out!

Old 10-05-2014, 05:12 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Pikachu
I believe you're confusing a cylinder contribution test with an injector buzz test....

Now you see? That's what happens when I stay up late... I turn into a pumpkin. I went back and corrected my post, thanks for keeping me honest.

The Buzz test is conducted with a cold engine while it is not running.

The Cylinder Contribution Test is conducted on a warm engine with the engine idling, no A/C, and in gear with the brake on [LINK]